Fordmods Logo

How do I replace fuel pump on EF wagon? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: How do I replace fuel pump on EF wagon?
Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:48 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EF Wagon

VIC, Australia

I have a EF falcon that broke down yesterday :(
It seems the fuel pump has packed it in, I have decided to replace it myself, but am a little confused on the location.

I read in some of the other threads that the pump is at the top of the fuel tank, I have looked inder the carpet and spare wheel and can see no fuel pump, but on the passenger side I can see the hose to the filler, a smaller hose (breather tube?) and a plug and socket which I assume are for the pump. Maybe the the other threads were referring to a sedan, which has a different location for the fuel pump?

Looking under the car I can see something which is mounted to the side of the fuel tank, just behind the rear passenger wheel arch, is this the pump?
I thought that there were two pumps, one a low pressure pump which is fed to a high pressure pump, is this correct.

If the pump is mounted on the side, will I need to drain the tank first?

Last edited by PotOfDraught on Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

On a wagon the fuel pump is behind the lefthand rear wheel. The pump enters the tank through the side. Because of this you will need to empty the tank.

From memory the top of the pump, on the outside is covered by a small shield once you remove this you then need to remove the locking ring to get the pump out.

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EF & VTR1000

NSW, Australia

when getting the locking ring off be carefull not to break too many off the lips off it, have fun! it should only be one pump

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:40 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Thanks for your replies, looks like I'm going to have fun, the tank is 3/4 full, might take a while to drain the tank without a pump.

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

How do you drain the tank? I need to change my pump still.

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:45 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Holden VF Calais / NL FBT

VIC, Australia

Do you like the taste of petrol Scott?
Cause your going to taste some of it!

Nicko

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

I thought you couldn't syphon the falcoons? I thought the hoses get stuck in the flap or something...?

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
I thought you couldn't syphon the falcoons? I thought the hoses get stuck in the flap or something...?

Yeah it does, so you just hold it open with a screw driver while you push the hose in.

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:10 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: XR6 Wagon

WA, Australia

Howd u go? I just did it about a month ago. The trick is to have the car on a dead flat surface. Break open the seal and start letting it drain into a clean pan(easier with 2) that u can pour into some jerries alternatley( You may need 2 or 3 20L). when u r close to empty jack up the passenger side so the fuel runs to the opposite side to the pump. Then remove the ring and bothfuel lines they just clip off. It is a little difficult to get out but a but of turning and perseverance(carfully as you dont want to break any thing.)and the pump assembly should come out. If u have bought a kit from Autone etc you have to cut off the cable tie that holds the pump in place to remove the pump unit. The filter is a straight off and on swap. Installation is a reversal of the removal. Definately change the seal around the tank as it would have deteriorated by now. Hope this has helped.

ImageImage
EF XR6 Wagon,RPD R6 cam,Wildcat extractors, Magnaflow cat,2.5" Lukey exhhaust.
Too many more too list

Post subject: success
Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:03 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

I replaced the fuel pump and filter, I siphoned the fuel out.
got the lovely taste of petrol :D

Had about 1/4 tank left, was going to drain rest of the fuel through the opening for the pump/sender into a pan, I had the car jacked up on the left side, but no fuel came out, was all sitting to the right of the tank.

The pump is a little tricky to remove as it has a L shaped bracket, - there is not much room to get it out, you need to angle it to the left and gently pull it through. once out it is pretty straight forward. (followed instructions from other thread).
I had problems with the seal, which is getting old, it was not fitting in the hole properly, it leaked after the locking ring was tightened. I cut some of the seal off, to stop it getting caught and bunching up, tightened it up again, and no leaks this time.
I will have to replace this seal, and i recommend that this is done,
the only problem;
How do I remove the connections for the fuel lines?
they look like a quick connect for pneumatic lines, I left them connected when I replaced the pump.

The fuel filter is pretty easy to change, but I stuffed up the first time thou,
I cross-threaded one of the connections, the thread on the fuel line is hard - brass, and the filter is soft - aluminium. So care needs to be taken to ensure that connections are screwed in straight or otherwise you will get a leak, as I found out.
bought new filter, took more care and had no problems.

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:07 am 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Prob too late for this, but i had trouble with those quick connect things too! They just unplug, you push the white thing down and they pull off. I had to replace the back section of fuel hose because i couldn't work out how to get those things off. It was gonna cost me about $90 or something from ford till i remembered the wreckers and got it practically brand new for $15!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]