Fordmods Logo

how do the thermo fans operate in a el? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: how do the thermo fans operate in a el?
Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:32 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

hey
how do the thermo fans operate on a el falcon?
i currently have a el ecu fitted to my ea and ive hooked up the trigger wires to the fan relays from the ecu and when the car gets about 1/4 temp both fans come on slow which seems right..

and there are no ecu fault codes for the fans in test mode..

i havnt got the car hot enough to trigger the fans on high yet.
and the fans do not come on when the aircon is turned on. :? :?

can anyone tell me in what order do the fans work and does there fans come on when the air con is switched on ????

Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:33 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 29 images

VIC, Australia

Hey TROYMAN, still having issues with those bloody fans! :cry:

Did you try another ECU? Well on mine, when I fisrst turn the car on, they do nothing until the car is at operating temp. Then, they come on low speed only below 20 kn/h. You can see the volts momentarily drop when they come on, and switch off after 20 km/h.

As for high speed, when I turn aircon on, after about 10-20 seconds later, the go on high speed for about 1 or 2 minutes while driving or stationary then turn off, presumably to cool the condenser down, making air con cooler quicker?

As for temp control on high speed, only once they went on high for me. Standing in traffic for about an hour, and they come on high speed for about 3 minutes, even though the temp didn't go up on gauge, then turned down to low speed. So thats my experience, but it is the ECU ultimately that decides, so could be anytime I suppose.

Also, can you test the fans in diagnostic mode, even though you have a manual? On mine in diagnostic mode, when I shift to "R", I get both on low speed, then shift to "D", I get one low speed, one high speed, then back to "R" and I get both high speed.

I hope that sheds some light for you.

Cheers,

Mark.

Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:34 pm 

NSW, Australia

hi
yea i finally got around to doing them again i got another ecu and there is no fault codes for the fans. when you put the ecu into test mode the fans come on full for about 1 second so they are working..

im more concerned about them not coming on with the aircon..

Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:39 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 29 images

VIC, Australia

Hmm, um, well I put on my aircon now when I started the car, and they didn't come on, so maybe thats because it's about 8 degrees down here and it's all cool enough, but when I put the aircon on this afternoon, they come on, but it was about 16 degrees and sunny, so it's probably temp related.

Just quickly though, with the bonnet up, and standing at front door I noticed when you put ignition on, the thermos come on for about 1 second, probably a self test?

And I remember you had an issue with the fans not coming on high speed and car was getting too hot. Is it OK now?

Hope it works out for you mate.

Cheers,

Mark.

Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:14 pm 

NSW, Australia

yes they do come on high once the temp comes up so they are operating ok.. the problem i have is no matter how hot the temp is outside..
when the air con is switched on the fans dont turn on except for when the engine temp is up..

because today its 23 deg and i tried the air con and it works but after about 5 mins with next to no airflow through the aircon condensor the pump screems and shuts off (gas getting to hot??)..

and when the engine is under 1/4 on the temp guage the fans dont come on low untill the temp gets over 1/4. meaning if i use the aircon before the engine temp reaches 1/4 or higher the pump screaches and turns off..

im thinking of just adding a extra relay from the aircon power to overide the trigger from the ecu.
im not to sure what effect it will have on the ecu as the trigger wire from the ecu is a earth trigger and when its being overidden by the relay the ecu trigger wire will be earthed to chassis possibly causing a fault code???????

Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

if you use a diode in the ecu trigger wire then the ecu might not detect the extra earth from the chassis

Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:39 am 

NSW, Australia

fastleno wrote:
if you use a diode in the ecu trigger wire then the ecu might not detect the extra earth from the chassis

would you know what type of diode i need????

Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

i would only be guessing mate i havent any idea what amps the trigger carry's.

Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:46 am 

NSW, Australia

yea thats ok..
i only know the basics of electronics most of my findings are trial and error..

i just dont want to kill the ecu by shorting the ecu trigger wire..

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]