Fordmods Logo

How smart are the trip computers... 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: How smart are the trip computers...
Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:16 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF

VIC, Australia

I've put a fairmont trip computer in my EF. I have larger injectors, Wolf 3D controlling spark and fuel, larger fuel pump, different fuel pressure regulator and a turbo, and the average litres per 100K's is just about spot on..On the instant readout I can get it to 90 litres with about 2/3 throttle :D ... I would love to know what sensors it uses to calculate these figures...

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:07 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 320kw BA XR8

SA, Australia

Fuel is calculated on fuel injector pulswidth and fuel tank level so generally when you go to larger injectors or aftermarket systems the trip coms are close to useless. You are lucky that yours is remotly accurate although give it a lot of full throttle any you will see it becomes inacurate.

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

compare it on a fill up with amount of litres u chewed. compared to km's travelled and u will see exactly what its out by.

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF

VIC, Australia

Thats what I've done. very close...

Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:18 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 2 images

VIC, Australia

tjb45 wrote:
I've put a fairmont trip computer in my EF. I have larger injectors, Wolf 3D controlling spark and fuel, larger fuel pump, different fuel pressure regulator and a turbo, and the average litres per 100K's is just about spot on..

Don't know anything about the Wolf 3D but if it replaces the standard ECU, how does the trip computer get the needed pulse width signal to calculate the instantaneous and average fuel consumption ? I would not have though an aftermarket ECU would implement a ford proprietry data path !

If the Wolf 3D is a piggy back ECU and you have bigger injectors and higher fuel pressure, the standard ECU would specify a given pulse width resulting in a specific instant fuel consumption on the trip computer, in this case, the Wolf 3D must specify a correspondingly shorter pulse width to get the same fuel consumption on the trip computer ! In any case, i doubt the reading would be accurate when 'on boost' where your system must push in more fuel to stop lean conditions and a short engine life :D

As a last note, i would expect that a trip computer would have differant calculation factors for XR6 and standard I6 falcons - but them again i don't know if ford sold XR6's with a trip computer as standard or as an option :?

cheers, itchione

Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:27 am 
Getting Side Ways

dist to empty, and ave k's

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]