Fordmods Logo

I LOVE LPG!! 

Page 6 of 6 [ 87 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Posted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 7:10 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: R32 GTR

VIC, Australia

dcstraight wrote:
I agree - the only reason people have LPG on their cars is for cheaper fuel...if it wasn't cheap...why f@rt around with extra hardware in your engine bay and a big a$$ ugly tank in your boot *yuk*.

However, as I said earlier...it all comes down to application - I have a GRA system on my EL Wagon...I am sitting on ~13/14 L/100kms...that's ~400 + kms from 55/57 L usable tank. My car goes better on LPG than ULP/PULP...yes it's dual fuel. Fusion and EFFalcon are also on LPG and seem relatively happy with the benefits...but yes it depends on what everyone's idea of 'performance' is...I know a lot of people look at an EF/EL and think taxi straight away *shrugs* - each to their own :wink:

btw - Vic's car is a 5L, so 'performance' (within reason) is more of an issue than the average I6 people mover, despite his goal of looking at minor mods without negatively impacting economy too much.

F**k - it's late and I'm braindead...I don't know if I typed this rambling crap right or not :oops:

LOL, I was a little punk in drublic while typing too :)

What I was trying to suggest is the majority of people who buy brand new Falcons dont want a performance car, they want a large boat that you can run over potholes, cats or stray Hyundai Excel's without feeling a thing. Sure the consequences are it floats, bodyrolls and understeers like a pig but that is a very distant last concern to a potential buyer of a brand new Falcomagnadore. The main reason the VT was so popular compared to the AU - The VT looks s**t better, even though it was mechanically hunk of crap and poorly bolted together while the AU was built very well, tough and indestructable for an Australian vehicle. Look whats happening with sales of the BA vs VY now, Ford's really taking charge again. Now considering the AU was technically a superior car in most regards to the VT, no prizes for guessing why Holden sold almost twice as many VT's compared to Ford's AU...

I guess my whole point is people like me want to put their Falcons on LPG to save money, because performance isn't an issue when it is fundamentally not a performance car. If you wanted a performance car you'd need to get your priorities right, are you a quarter mile king, a dyno queen or someone that likes a car that can accelerate, get around corners and stop. Sure the Falcon can be made to do these things but if you dont need the size and towing capability of the Falcon, wouldn't you agree that it'd be much wiser to go for a real sportscar, something like a Skyline GTR, Mazda RX7, Lancer EVO, Subie WRX etc....

I'm not dissing the Falcon here, I'm simply clarifying WHY people like me choose to put it on LPG.

Besides, its more fun having a cheap s**t as a daily runabout and a track car that you dont have to comply with any laws at all. Add a car trailer & tow kit and there's your perfect combination.

Posted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 11:01 am 

Ride: Drives Like Fun

Power: 318 rwkw

Location: Melbourne Interior: Cappucino Exterior: Sparkling Burgundy
VIC, Australia

Couldn't agree more - the falcon is predominantly a family car, which as you said can be setup to add a sportier feel like the XR's etc...sure it's still heavy and can't go round corners like a rex or EVO can...I don't want to go off topic (lol), but the problem is we gotta compare apples with apples here (ie your AU / VT comparison) - looking at stock falcons on LPG and stock falcons on ULP/PULP - there's little difference in daily driving...but then looking from leftfield - the likes of GM DESTROYA, EF250 KW, SVOXR6 and PYROAY to name a few - these guys have done some big mods to their cars and can compare to your modded Supras, Skylines (hey, they're straight 6 RWD and 4WD)...obviously many other members aspire to what these guys have done / are doing (and have posted here), but have not made the realisation that LPG is a minimal, if not non-existent possibility in these applications.

I'd love a track car...was looking for 84 Toyota Sprinters with 4AGE 20 valves a couple of years ago...along with AW11 MR2's...5 speeds, interior ripped out...it would have been heaps of fun...but then I woke up and had brekkie :wink:

Vic Cruises & Events

Posted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 11:12 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
, and less is used, meaning less demand,

Lower aggregate demand would result in lower ss/dd equilibrium and hence a lower price :wink: Its therefore reasonable to expect lower prices in Tasmania, other things being equal (which they're not, but yeah....)

Sounds like bozz and DC are onto a good thing here. You definately have to consider intent. It stands to reason that owners of high powered falcons (pyro, Ef250, GM destoryer, ebxr) are willing to spend more on fuel, because in this case, it IS a performance car. Just because a vehicle starts life as a family boat, doesnt mean this label must stick forever, at which time, people are less concerned with fuel costs and certainly do not see their car as a taxi that can "take the cheapest fuel i can find".

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 11:16 am 

Ride: Drives Like Fun

Power: 318 rwkw

Location: Melbourne Interior: Cappucino Exterior: Sparkling Burgundy
VIC, Australia

Ooops, I forgot to add 4.9 EF Futura to that list too :wink:

Vic Cruises & Events

Posted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 12:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII XR6 Turbo

SA, Australia

dcstraight wrote:
- the likes of GM DESTROYA, EF250 KW, SVOXR6 and PYROAY to name a few - these guys have done some big mods to their

Mmmm EF XR6 Turbo he he :twisted: In due time. :roll: Oh btw i got my gas system fixed! Problem was it was running extremely lean, so i got the mixtures or something adjusted and now its running really well.

Bad thing was i had to pay for it thou.... :x Grrr damn warrantee exclusions :roll:

Image -BF MKII XR6 Turbo in EGO-

Posted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 6:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

4.9 EF Futura wrote:
twr7cx wrote:
, and less is used, meaning less demand,

Lower aggregate demand would result in lower ss/dd equilibrium and hence a lower price :wink: Its therefore reasonable to expect lower prices in Tasmania, other things being equal (which they're not, but yeah....)

Except, if the company isn't making profit, or enough, there gunna pull out of the operation. Also since there's few places who sell it, they own the market and don't have much competition of the prices they can ask.

Posted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 7:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

Bug wrote:
This is something im trying to figure out, Ive heard you can get them custom made (legal I dunno).
The new LPG BA has it mounted in place of petrol but I highly doubt it could be retro fitted easily.

On the wagon my petrol tank has been halved, and the spare wheel moved, the gas tank is down in the wheel pit and it pokes out the bottom of the car, it's got a casing on it down the bottom, so it just looks like the wagons got a small drop tank thing.

Posted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 7:25 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: NL Fairlane

NSW, Australia

G'day all, I've just bought an NL Fairlane and was thinking about getting Dual Fuel. Is there any particular LPG brand that is better than others? I live on the Northern Beaches in Sydney and there's a place in Brookvale that does it I think, I spose I should shop around though.

Posted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 9:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: R32 GTR

VIC, Australia

jordofieldo wrote:
G'day all, I've just bought an NL Fairlane and was thinking about getting Dual Fuel. Is there any particular LPG brand that is better than others? I live on the Northern Beaches in Sydney and there's a place in Brookvale that does it I think, I spose I should shop around though.

Impco for good quality and fairly cheap, 5-10% loss of power on LPG compared to petrol

Gas Research (GRA) for very good quality, expensive and similar power to petrol.

Posted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 9:53 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: NL Fairlane

NSW, Australia

Awesome! Thanks mate, I'll look into it.

Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:07 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: AU 3 SR

NSW, Australia

I have more grunt on gas than petrol in my AU3 and with a quality installation not an el cheapo one no problems as for the looy I got a panel fitted over the tank covered in the same carpet as the boot looks great
AU3 6 sprint gas system advance extractors 2.5" redback exhaust and tickford intake

Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII Ghia

geez you gays say 1.15l is expsensive havent seen that price for nealry a year out here. 98ron is 1.38/l gas is 74.9/l

out on the nullabor gas is around a 1$ a litre out there!!!!

Sort by  
 Page 6 of 6  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6