Fordmods Logo

idea for Dual VCT, but what do I know? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: idea for Dual VCT, but what do I know?
Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA ute, FG XR6T

NSW, Australia

And Hello.
It's got me scratching. I'd like to think that I could pop a BA motor in the EF, have it tuned and enjoy the same performance I've been getting with my rebuilt motor (that cost me a pretty penny). I'd like to think that if I wear the blighter out I could replace it with another $400.00 unit and ta-dah- same performance without repeating that same rebuild scenario. It's a shame this idea offers no easy road.
I know there are other tight-fisted souls confronted with the same dilemma. After market equipment is not up to the task of operating the engine to its potential and retrofitting original equipment SEEMS A LITTLE EXCESSIVE if not a little daunting.

It struck me like a dose of the runs and I could not escape its woft. I don't know how happy the Megasquint people on the forum are with their choice or content with the results of their outlay in time, but specs and potential of the product impresses me still. We are essentially talking about a PLC when we're talking Megasquirt, aren't we?

I just can't see why the idea of controlling spark and fuel can't be employed with a little poetic license in the same way as left and right (cams). It takes inputs, interprets across a known scale producing two primary outputs across a predetermined range.

Similarly, the input of sensors to create a successful VCT require little modification from what’s already going in the unit in engine management, the same data is required. The maps for fuel and spark would simply need a fresh approach. If a BA PCM can be edited then the data that operates and governs operation is a known quantity that can be interpreted and mapped. The same can be said in regards to an edited and tuned unit (insofar as a standard generic buildup - exhaust etc can also be interpreted and mapped). The OUTPUTS to run VCT (with a dedicated megasquirt in play) would then need to be redefined (or filtered) into the required operating parameters and tolerance for VCT. I notice there are some clever people on this forum with regards to electronics; from memory one fellow built a circuit around a pic controller to operate an adaptive gear shift onto his e-series box. If the actual range of operation for each VCT is small which I assume it is being that it’s electro-mechanical / hydraulic, those higher resolution maps for spark and fuel when re-interpreted and compressed should offer high accuracy for the VCT application. I don' know but I can see the problem of BA engine management should be approached as two separate entities. One idea (the one presented here) builds a separate circuit between a cost effective ECU and the drivetrain of a BA engine.
It’s just an idea for a more elegant solution but I could be wrong of course and will cheerfully admit it to all who bring it to my attention. Naturally those persons will be duly noted and publicly humiliated at a later date.

Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:30 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EA fairmont, 4.0litre el xr6 eng

VIC, Australia

i am suprised this didnt get any responses... im not sure if that wouldw ork but keep us posted to let us know...

I live my life qtr mile at a time :P

Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

Damn I wish I stuck out Electrical engineering instead of cutting my losses and switching to mechanical. I'm more interested in the electrics side now than what I was when I was force fged all the info.

Sounds like a dream to build a stand alone VCT controller or even better to get the friendly people at megasquirt to integrate it into their knockdown ECU's.

Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:17 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

what about using an auxr6 vct ecu? and spliting the output? to run the 2 cams?
iirc the ba vct changes both cams at the same time?
changing cams independently would be more benifical but require a much higher degree of programing

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

The AU VCT is 2 position only. By that I mean that Under 3000rpm it is advanced but as soon as the engine reaches 3000rpm the solenoid opens (and stays open) the cam is retarded and stays retarded till the engine falls back under 300rpm. AU and BA systems are much nicer.

The Toyota VVTL-i system is even nicer again from what I've heard as it is all electrical (no hydrallics what so ever).

Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:26 am 
Fordmods Newbie

ACT, Australia

it may be easy to figure out how to operate the ba vct if they are similar to others in the ford family. have a look at the 3d ford vct explanation on the following link,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ba-oyIjGWGE

Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:03 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

carlsn wrote:
it may be easy to figure out how to operate the ba vct if they are similar to others in the ford family. have a look at the 3d ford vct explanation on the following link,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ba-oyIjGWGE

Thanks for that. I've been trying to find a clip like that for years.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]