Fordmods Logo

Ignition Shutdown ELXR6 

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Ignition Shutdown ELXR6
Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:02 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EB2 Fairmont

VIC, Australia

My Theft recovered XR is 'really' startin to piss me off as i'm so close to finishing it but just yesterday i fitted a new clock spring which fixed the 'various' SRS codes it had so that was great after alot of stuffing around under the dash for nothing.....You live and learn! I had also replaced the ign leads rotor/cap as they were lookin very s**t.....i turn and crank.....no go! Plugs out no spark! Check all connectors and leads c/ cap again...coil is near new...still no spark!
Try operating central locking...no go....disconnect battery for half hour...no go....Fit 'Muzza's' diagnostic checker....No codes....Plus when cranking (plugs out) the injectors seem to be 'pumpin' the fuel in......it's blowin out the plug holes....... BEM's not allowing spark even tho same Key/code as always.....before the leads and clockspring it was runnin.....but was s**t down low which is why i changed ign gear....WTF????

Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

checked the CRT LMP fuse?

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:09 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Ye checked ALL fuses! This car is good on outside....
not so good on inside....the gas system was just chopped into the looms etc etc.....Can't even get a code on 'Muzzas' tool???

Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:37 am 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Oh Dear......Just checked voltages at coil and IGN ON has 13.5 V Pink/Blue......Then while cranking got nothin on Red/Green......Plus the injectors are like OVER fueling BAD ......I think the ECU has s**t itself...but how??? The BEM is beeping and registering the keys code and the relay is switching.
What am i missing??? WHy the change after fitting airbag and leads etc....WTF??? And maybe the pressure reg faulty anyways???

Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:26 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

ANyone got 'any' idea! Thing is even after spinning it over for 20 secs with plugs out the 'Muzza' tool does'nt register any fault codes.....only 111 which is 'no hard codes'......Just had the dizzy out, disaasemmbled and assembled 'properly' but maybe the TFI/Pick Up Modules have jsut died????
But what cranking voltage should be at the coil connector??? The EEC would send that??? Got me stuffed???

Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: 2007

NSW, Australia

You may have bumped the smartlock lead off when doing the clock spring, check all the connectors around the base of the steering column.
Edit you are cranking so that is not likely to be the problem but check the BEM fuse is not blown.

BF Fairmont Ghia Series II update.
GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___
|_/--\'_|'__|_/--\_[]IIII[]
_( o ) )_____( o ) )=o=) )__

Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:10 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Well as above i can hear the BEM 'bipping' and it's relay is switching......And have checked all those connectors twice over now!!!
What sort of voltage should be at the coil while crankin.....And wers this BEM fuse located???

Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: 2007

NSW, Australia

I think its the same one that does the interior lights.

BF Fairmont Ghia Series II update.
GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___
|_/--\'_|'__|_/--\_[]IIII[]
_( o ) )_____( o ) )=o=) )__

Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:26 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Ye checked that already mate...and the rest....it's the Courtsey light fuse.....If theives remove the fuse to not be seen at night the BEM SmartLocks....I believe!!!

Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:15 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Oh dear i'm really over the TFI system......Have got all correct voltages at the EEC for IGN Ins/OUTs and am removed dizzy and tested the TFI which is o.k so i think the Pick Up i faulty which would explain why i had nothin back at the coil secondary wire...And possibly why it was underpowered down low when it was running.....This is about the 5th TFI/PickUp prob i've had in four years.....WHY did'nt they just fix the EFs coil pack probs....Aaaarrgh!!! Now gotta wait to get one and try it.....Also the dizzy appears to be a 'copy' as it has no Bosch/Motorcraft markings....
Are these known to fail more than originals....i would assume so????

Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:36 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Checked voltages at the EEC connector and Pin 4 has 12V IGN On .....In the chart it's the 'Immobiliser Signal"...Now does this mean the BEM is Immobilising the EEC....Anyone???

Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:22 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Geez could'nt hav asked for 'more' help....
AFter reading over the SmartLock docs they only lock off starter and injector operation and not power to coil ....is this correct? Also the BEM is beeping.....so it must be registering properly???

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:45 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 5 images

Oustide Australia

Regardless of whether you try and start the car or not you should be able to get some codes out of the ECU.

I would start by tracing the diagnostic wires back to the ECU to make sure they are all connected, especially if your car is a recovered vehicle.

Having said this I would check the voltages on permanent power to the ECU as well. It may take a while but back probing the ECU will be worth it.

And you are correct about the smartlock. Power to the coil is enabled via the main EEC relay (can't remember if it is the brown or green one)

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:08 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Ye i'm gettin codes with a proper tool....Muzza makes them on here....great piece o work.....I did have some non 'hard' trans codes but they got cleared accidently....so am now getin 111 on the tool which is 'no codes' in EEC.....Voltages are all correct and in right places.......Now this EEC realy...wer is it located????

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:36 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 5 images

Oustide Australia

I think they are near the main fuses, under the water overflow. The funny thing with the bumps on it. It supplies power to the fuel pump relay, injectors, ECU/TCU, sensors, PIP and TFI and is triggered by the ignition key.

Sorry just reread your post and see that you got the codes out. Hmmm

For the ECU to allow the injectors to fire it must first see that the engine has revolutions. So it is obviously getting something back from the hall sensor in the dizzy (Think this is part of the TFI), unless of course you have a crank sensor installed. Is it something silly like a dodgy earth cable? Are you able to hook up a tacho to see if this is the case?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next