Looking at Mega Squirt II V2.2 for my EF turbo 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: Looking at Mega Squirt II V2.2 for my EF turbo
Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF V8 Futura, 180sx

QLD, Australia

Hey guys
Im currently about to install my turbo setup on my EF and i really want to get a new ecu thats cheap and Mega Squirt II deffently falls into that area.

if i was to get a Mega Squirt II v2.2 would i be better staying with cam angle sensor or fit a dizzy instead? keep in mind im turboing and do have plans on getting new pump and injectors in short time.

i don't know the greatest about the Mega Squirt II setup but is i stay with coil pack i have to get a EDIS6 modules right?

better question if i got just the ecu and laptop cable
what would i need for the ef coil pack setup?
and what would i need if i went to a dizzy setup?

Thx
Jason

Ford EF Futura Black
18" koya Strykers, AU engine with port and polish EB head, crow valve springs, standard cam, Large aftermarket RX7 turbo, T5 manual 3" intercooler piping, 600x300x100 intercooler core, MSII with innovate wideband O2 sensor and guage. BA F6 bodykit

Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR Turbo

NSW, Australia

it would be alot easier to swap to a dizzy setup to run the megasquirt... we (RPD) had a hell of a time getting the squirt to run an EF..

we did sucessfully convert a ef to dizzy and run it on a megasquirt..

basically needed a dizzy, coil, leads and to do a bit of rewiring..

-mitch

BF XR6T 6spd Auto. 60lb injectors, Hybrid Cooler, Custom Piping, Custom Surge Tank, Actuator.

12.3 @ 114

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Thought someone was going to suggest Dizzy straight away.

just out of interest did you cut the whole stock ecu loom off the back of the block to ecu and just rewire it to the new ecu?
cause id like to make up a adapter from a old ecu plug so i can keep my standard ecu so i can always fall back to it when stuff hits the fan.

also did you use the Idle control valve or just eliminate it from system?

how bad was it to rewire the dizzy? just run new wires and leave the old connector?

Ford EF Futura Black
18" koya Strykers, AU engine with port and polish EB head, crow valve springs, standard cam, Large aftermarket RX7 turbo, T5 manual 3" intercooler piping, 600x300x100 intercooler core, MSII with innovate wideband O2 sensor and guage. BA F6 bodykit

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

we set them up to run on the stock harness.. so they could be swapped back to stock.

IIRC on the ef with dizzy, we made an adapter loom to use the existing harness (ie didnt run any extra wires)

i wasnt so much involved in wiring that one up so I cant really recall..

the issue you hit in leaving the stock ecu plug is you will need to aquire the male side.. this can only be found on another ecu, and must be unglued and unsoldered.. it can be done but its a royal pain in the a***.

-mitch

BF XR6T 6spd Auto. 60lb injectors, Hybrid Cooler, Custom Piping, Custom Surge Tank, Actuator.

12.3 @ 114

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

i dont think 'justfordima' ever equipt the ISC's they seemed to cause alot more problems than they solved..

12.3 @ 114

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

ow yer that was i was going to do get old dead ecu and take the male connector off the back and use that

Ford EF Futura Black

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

A Megasquirt in your Turbo ford would be a fun project. There are many guys in the states with turbo's, superchargers & all sorts of mods running on MS ecu's.

I can't say i've put one into my ford ( YET ) but what i can say is that i'm playing with 2, yes 2 Megasquirt ecu kit's right now. I'm building one for my Girlfriends Granddad's Triumph project, converting from mechanical injection to EFI. Building the kits isn't a hard job, but it's a very long process!

The other, well, let's just say for now it will be ending up in my Mighty boy! Going to start with my busted a*** dizzy, gut it & fit some gear to run a Ford/Bosch TFI like the EA-D & EL's run on the dizzy. Then going to program up the Megasquirt to give full comp control. No more fricken points to adjust! 8-) Eventually i would love to either build a fuel injection setup & slap that on my F8B i have in the boy, or i'll shoehorn in something bigger, like a Charade 1lt DOHC EFI, Turbo engine & 5spd, and run it on the Megasquirt.

I've even thought about MegaSquirt'n my EB, because i could throw my EEC & the LPG ECU's away, remove a lot of wiring & run duel fuel with twin fuel & spark maps off the MS, to suit each fuel, petrol & LPG. But i just don't have the time & money right now for that. I'll keep that as a dream, and finish off the 2 Megasquirt projects at hand first!

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:58 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

if you don't mind me asking where did you buy your kit from to build it?
thx
jason

Ford EF Futura Black

Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:11 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I bought the 2 x ECU kits and all the other bits i require for the projects such as relay box, stimulator, ecu to relay wiring harness & injector pigtails from www.diyautotune.com. Imported into Aus with express airfreight & insurance, was just on $60USD for the shipping.

Created an account on their site & as the saying goes; " For everything else, there's MasterCard! " ROFL. :lol:

There's a list of places to buy the Megasquirt gear from on the Megasquirt website.

As for how to get the ford EEC connector, there's a website that has info on how to harvest it from a dead EEC. You will require 1 x lots of patience & many x solder wicks to aid in the removal. I honestly think it is the way i would go if i was to Megasquirt my EB. Saves butchering the wiring any more than necessary.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Xflow - have you made a choice on ECU yet?

I'm getting a bit further thru the construction of my Megasquirt. It's a long process that i don't have time to sit & do from go to whoa. It's very worthwhile tho!

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

yer im ganna look into buying a MegaSquirt II unassembled and go with that
but just tossing up if i want to stay coil pack or go dizzy. If i stay coil pack i can get the modules from www.diyautotune.com. i think these are the modules i need (see link below)

http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/vb92 ... -p-61.html

i think i need 3 of them if im right.

also do i need a EEC-IV adapter board? (see link below)

http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/eeci ... p-151.html

thx
jason

Ford EF Futura Black

Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

To keep your factory wiring loom without molesting it, you will need the EEC adapter kit, and a dead EEC to harvest the connector from. Else you have a lot of splicing to do. I'd get the adapter kit, as it's much neater & retains factory wiring. Not to mention it will let you refit a standard EEC if you ever need to. Eg maybe a roadworthy inspection or to sell the vehicle.

If the coil pack is like a commodore v6 pack, which is 3 coils with 2 terminals per coil, then yes 3 drivers would do the trick. I can't say i've actually seen the ford coil pack! It's a tough decision to stick with coil pack or go to a dizzy setup. I'd suggest reading a lot about it before you make up your mind. I do remember reading some info on the Megasquirt forums & elsewhere online with good reasons for changing to the dizzy.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]