Fordmods Logo

LPG For a 1998 Fairlane 4.0L motor 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: LPG For a 1998 Fairlane 4.0L motor
Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

VIC, Australia

How much does it cost to get LPG fitted to a 4.0L six cylinder model? Car has done about 184,000 kms?

Instant Karma is gonna get you!

Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:57 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

Probably about a grandish.
I presume when you say fitted you'll be supplying the parts.

Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

VIC, Australia

No - not fitting it myself. I called two places in Melbourne south east suburbs - $2300 for two days, hire car supplied. Another guy quoted me $2000, hand my car in on next tuesday and get car back next working day. No hire car supplied. Is "Impco" a good LPG brand to use.

However, my mechanic's opinion was don't get LPG fitted - costs more, due to the Ford engines blowing head gaskets once every 18 months and resulting in new gaskets to be fitted - $1100 every time to repair.

Also, the injectors gum up, you lose engine power and boot space, plus the air cleaner blows off.

Instant Karma is gonna get you!

Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:17 pm 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

camh1980 wrote:
No - not fitting it myself. I called two places in Melbourne south east suburbs - $2300 for two days, hire car supplied. Another guy quoted me $2000, hand my car in on next tuesday and get car back next working day. No hire car supplied. Is "Impco" a good LPG brand to use.

However, my mechanic's opinion was don't get LPG fitted - costs more, due to the Ford engines blowing head gaskets once every 18 months and resulting in new gaskets to be fitted - $1100 every time to repair.

Also, the injectors gum up, you lose engine power and boot space, plus the air cleaner blows off.

Change mechanics! If your ignition system is in good order and you run petrol every week you will not have those problems he described.

Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

So your wanting LPG installed and you need the parts supplied too?
Looking at anything between $1500 to $3000.
Personally I'd go GRA - they are probably one of the most expensive though -0 but at least tehy encourage modifying LPG vehicles - docos on turboing LPG and that crap on there website.

As for your mechanic, change mechanics! $1100 for a head gasket change? Dang I thought $500 was bad when I got quoted just outta interest!

And as for LPG being bad, go talk to some cab drivers. I know one who had an EB on gas and got to over 1 million kilometers and NEVER took the rocker cover off - or so he swears.

So long as your igntion is in good order nad your system is fine backfiring is not a problem at all.

Yes you may loose a tiny bit of power, but the better system you get the less power you loose, and the money saved can be spent on mods to regain power.

As for injectors gumming and that - remove them! don't need them any more. Remove the fuel tank and put the LPG tank there too maybe then you don't loose boot space!

By the way how does your mechanic manage to say that Ford engines blow head gaskets every 18 momths? A comment like that would not have me back at my mechanic, it means he's probably too retard to check the condition of the cooling system when cars are there for a service!
And how does he relate LPG to blwoing head gaskets?
All in all i think your mechanic is just upset about the business he will loose when your convert to LPG as you will then be taking your car elsewere to get tuned and that.

Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Holden VF Calais / NL FBT

VIC, Australia

Geez
its amazing to see how far you have come scott from knowing nothing to giving advice! Well done!

Impco is a very good brand also - my uncle fits LPG systems and thats all he uses. A few cousins have it on there cars and have had no problems - Eb and an XH

The head gaskets are a common problem on the ford 6cyl if there on petrol or even gas!

Nicko

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]