lpg fuel economy? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: lpg fuel economy?
Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:36 am 
Fordmods Addict

Ride: BA XR6T

VIC, Australia

hey guys

im thinking of buying a mates ef wagon on gas so hes loaned if to me for a week to see how it goes. anyways, filled it up, 28 bucks woohoo, but its chewing through it. dont know how accurate the gauge is, but ive gone through a 1/4 of a tank and its only gotten me 90 kays. i know cars use more lpg than petrol, but this seems a bit excessive.

think its about 60 to 65ltr tank.

this economy sound about right?

Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el faimont, dual fuel

VIC, Australia

aim for around 400k's a tank around town and upto 550k's on the freeway depending on the tune.

so 90k's from 1/4 tank sounds about right as in my experiance the gauge always goes down quick and then it will comforably do upto 100k's when the warning light appears.

why do u write in here.

Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:46 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

Out of ur el tickford gas setup were lucky to get 320ks out of a 68ltr tank, lpg cars tend to use 15%-30% more than petrol cars, so it say thats about right

Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: 2021 Amarok V6

SA, Australia

wheels magazine says that BF Falcon E-Gas uses 40-something% more than a standard Falcon. and they only have 156kW!

2021 V6 Manual Amarok - 245kw/750nm - many goodies
1997 EL Fairmont Ghia 4.0 - Heritage Green & Cappa
2010 Suzuki GSX650F - when I want to be silly

Post subject: Re: lpg fuel economy?
Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:21 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Mash85 wrote:
hey guys im thinking of buying a mates ef wagon on gas so hes loaned if to me for a week to see how it goes. anyways, filled it up, 28 bucks woohoo, but its chewing through it. dont know how accurate the gauge is, but ive gone through a 1/4 of a tank and its only gotten me 90 kays. i know cars use more lpg than petrol, but this seems a bit excessive. think its about 60 to 65ltr tank.this economy sound about right?
If you look in the spare tyre bay, you'll most likely see the tank setup looks like 3 diving tanks put together (there are other tank types as well) - the LPG sender sits in one tank, and you'll find the fuel useage on the gauge will not be a constant drop of the needle indication - so the initial drop after full seems quite quick. This will be quite noticeable if the instrument cluster gauge is used.
It'll most likely be a 65L tank of which 61L is useable, this just means the extra is expansion space. Best way to monitor economy is to fill the tank, reset the tripmeter, note your km when you go to fill up again.
litres used x 100 / km travelled = L/100km.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:16 am 
Fordmods Addict

VIC, Australia

thanx for the info snap :)

so far ive done just over 250 kays and have just over a 1/4 of a tank to go. see how i go, if i could get 350+ from it id be happy.

the 65 ltr tank the 61 useable sounds right, as when i filled it from just about empty it took about 60 litres before clicking off.
is it a bad idea to run the has completely dry? would anything get damaged doing this? i was going to chuck some petrol in there then run the gas completely dry and see how far the range is.

Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:48 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: EF Falcon XT-T

VIC, Australia

I've run my LPG tank completely dry about 100 times.
tanks being tested today, lets see if its ok :P

but yeah, about 400 is alright from a tank of LPG.

FALCN6 - EF GLi Turbo, 20" Rims, Air Bag Suspension, Straight LPG, 225rwkw
DTHWGN - EA GL Wagon, LTD Interior, Satin Black, 5.0, Turbo
RACER - EF Futura , 5.0, 5 Speed
PROJECT - 83 Thunderbird, Lowered, 18" Billet Wheels
DAILY - BA Fairmont Ghia 5.4 3V

Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:55 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Mash85 wrote:
thanx for the info snap :) so far ive done just over 250 kays and have just over a 1/4 of a tank to go. see how i go, if i could get 350+ from it id be happy. the 65 ltr tank the 61 useable sounds right, as when i filled it from just about empty it took about 60 litres before clicking off. is it a bad idea to run the has completely dry? would anything get damaged doing this? i was going to chuck some petrol in there then run the gas completely dry and see how far the range is.
Yeah, no probs dude.
You will find you can fit a tad more in on cold days, as opposed to hot days - due to the expansion factor. There's no issue running an LPG tank dry (AFAIK) - just be careful when filling to go slow on the flow rate for the first few litres - go flat out initially, and you'll freeze the filler valve, and you won't fill any more in for about 5-15 mins (or more) till the valve thaws out.
As for petrol, do run it regularly to give the system a run - just starting on it isn't enough as some recommend - most petrol probs on dual fuel cars will most likely be due to low use. I generally run about 20kms on petrol after I fill on LPG, but everyone to their own system, and usually you'll find a LPG use recommendation sticker on the windscreen. After 18 mths, no probs with my wagon, my ute on the other hand, after just starting on petrol and nothing else, I've had injector and pump issues. Throwing some injector cleaner in the petrol is good for injector blocking prevention - obviously better than waiting til they're blocked, and then doing it.
You can switch fuels on the run - best to do when coasting or downhill, when the load on the drivetrain is low, particularly when switching LPG to petrol. Just make sure no one's tailgating you as well :P .

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: AU FAIRLANE

VIC, Australia

good sound advice snap

Now with a hint of "BLING"

Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:21 pm 
Fordmods Addict

VIC, Australia

well the fuel light came on at about 350kays and started to drop pretty quickly after that so i stopped and filled up. didnt knpow ow much petrol was in it so i didnt run it dry. have to do it this time. guessing the range is about 370-400 which sounds about right by wot u guys have said

Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:04 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

AU-MUSTD wrote:
good sound advice snap
Yeah thanks dude.

Mash85 wrote:
well the fuel light came on at about 350kays and started to drop pretty quickly after that so i stopped and filled up. didnt knpow ow much petrol was in it so i didnt run it dry. have to do it this time. guessing the range is about 370-400 which sounds about right by wot u guys have said
Your setup sounds about the same as my wagon, and what you've said is about right.
If you can hold of an EF Tickford LPG ECU for the right price, you'll find benefits in a bit better power, especially up hills, and I've found after 1500km of testing, around 2-2.5L/100km better fuel economy using the LPG spark maps.
That's provided you end up buying the wagon . . . :P

Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:46 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: EF

VIC, Australia

i get around 500km highway, 400km if i stand on it (which is usually the case).

370-400 for your wagon for $30 odd dollars still whoops a petrol wagon. have you tried reseting the computer???, when i 1st got my car it ran really poor and used heaps of gas, reset the comp and gave a good booting and it ran heaps better.

latest mod: A Service
MY BUILD THREAD

Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:00 am 
Fordmods Addict

VIC, Australia

[quote=Your setup sounds about the same as my wagon, and what you've said is about right.
If you can hold of an EF Tickford LPG ECU for the right price, you'll find benefits in a bit better power, especially up hills, and I've found after 1500km of testing, around 2-2.5L/100km better fuel economy using the LPG spark maps.
That's provided you end up buying the wagon . . . :P[/quote]

yeah i ended up buying it. so far so good. was pissing out oil and coolant but i replaced the radiator which was buggered and the oil pressure switch, and seems to have fixed the probs

the tickford lpg ecu, is that just a direct swap for the stock ecu? how much roughly would that set me back?

Rushed: ill try do that today and see how much i can get out of this tank.

thanks for all the help guys

Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:17 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Mash85 wrote:
the tickford lpg ecu, is that just a direct swap for the stock ecu? how much roughly would that set me back?
Yes it is, just need to add a wire for the petrol/LPG map changeover to the ECU from the LPG/petrol switch. Don't worry about wiring the lock off valves, let your current system do this.
Well the ECU will probably set you back roughly around $80-$100. You might be able to pick one up cheap from a pick a part wrecker from a wrecked taxi, etc. Look for an ECU with code 94DT-xxxxxx-xxx (104 pins), just tell them it's a std ECU when you go to pay.
I do have an EF unit, but have a go at the options above.

Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: ED Falcon

QLD, Australia

I am getting about 270 from my 65L tank, but the system is set to a general setting as my gas comp died and havn't got around to getting it fixed.

Does $400 sound right to supply and fit

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next