Fordmods Logo

LPG 

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: LPG
Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:49 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: Falcon RTV

QLD, Australia

Got a problem with my GAS.It does not seem to want to idle on gas.It runs down the highway on gas no problems but if it has to idle like using no throttle it will stall.No good when it stalls going around a corner and you loose power steering :shock:. The car runs and idles ok on fuel so I do not know what to think?Could it be a gas quality issue as I am getting my gas from a different servo at the moment.

Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:02 pm 
Site Admin

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

NSW, Australia

There is an idle mixture screw to adjust the mixture for. (wait for it) idle! :)

Also check your base idle settings and check for vacuum leaks/vapour leaks

The other thing to check is the balance hose. If your converter has a balance hose, make sure its connected correctly (usually to the lower airbox).

Cheers

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:10 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

Where's this mixture screw, I have looked at the Tickford converter and can not see anything that looks like I can adjust?? It all idles ok on petrol, it's just the gas idle.There may be a blockage.Would I be right in saying that there could be a idle circuit and a another separate circuit for cruising etc., I will look at those others things you mentioned.Thanks

Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:18 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

eagleaus wrote:
Where's this mixture screw
Have a look on the mixer, which is in your intake to the throttle body.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:14 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

The Tickford mixer/converter is one unit and there is only two electric solenoids?? and a brass nut etc.,

Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:26 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

eagleaus wrote:
The Tickford mixer/converter is one unit and there is only two electric solenoids?? and a brass nut etc.,
I'm only familiar with aftermarket units such as Impco, I would've thought regardless of the system, the adjuster (usually a spring loaded large screw) should be there somewhere - If no one else can advise you here, PM twason (Tony) - he knows the Tickford LPG setup pretty well.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:35 pm 
Site Admin

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

NSW, Australia

I dont think the Vialle system has an idle mixture adjustment. On something like an Airrod this screw is on the converter.

Being a Vialle system it does have a balance hose, so double check that this goes to the unfiltered side of your airbox.

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 3:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EL XR6 5spd

Check your PCV valve aswell, if its plastic u might have killed it with a backfire. My gas idle was messy until I replaced it.

EL XR6 5spd

Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 3:41 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

Replaced that as the bl**dy thing broke when i was checking it as well as the bl**dy groment split in half and the bottom half fell inside which i had to fish out. arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :roll:

Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 4:45 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

If your vehicle is LPG, you should ditch the plastic PCV and replace it with a metal one as a matter of course - most conversions usually already do this, but not all. There's been a post on here about this - if your car backfires and f**k the plastic PCV - the guts of the thing can do some serious damage to the valvetrain and to the timing chain area. I've seen the results on an LPG ED, and it aint pretty . . . . :shock:

Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:20 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

Not a problem, mine had a metal PCV valve and I replaced it with a metal one.Strangely inside the PCV hose it also have a brass restrictor with a hole on it.Looks like its always been there.Most likely it would stop the full blast of a backfire hitting the PCV valve and I have had the hose blow of once.

Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:31 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

remove the intake snorkel....

dont know why but this works on heaps of taxis with the same problem.. only thing is... it sucks hot air :(

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:04 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

Took it to ford Wednesday and all is normal.This is what they said they did (Clean LPG idle jet drain LPG convertor perform stepper motor reset road test check LPG starting now okay).Everything is now fine and going great guns :D

Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

eagleaus wrote:
Took it to ford Wednesday and all is normal.This is what they said they did (Clean LPG idle jet drain LPG convertor perform stepper motor reset road test check LPG starting now okay).Everything is now fine and going great guns :D

That's a good thing.

Let me guess, the converter is sitting verticle, instead of horizontal? My torana's is verticle, and every 25k kms it filles up with lotsa gunk in the bottom and runs like $hit. When i fit the new converters ( yes 2 ) for the turbo setup, they are going horizontal.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: 2007

NSW, Australia

ToranaGuy wrote:
eagleaus wrote:

That's a good thing.

Let me guess, the converter is sitting verticle, instead of horizontal? My torana's is verticle, and every 25k kms it filles up with lotsa gunk in the bottom and runs like $hit. When i fit the new converters ( yes 2 ) for the turbo setup, they are going horizontal.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Eagleaus has the vialle convertor so its meant to sit verticle with the drain plug at the bottom.
Cheers
TW.

BF Fairmont Ghia Series II update.
GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___
|_/--\'_|'__|_/--\_[]IIII[]
_( o ) )_____( o ) )=o=) )__

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next