Fordmods Logo

megajolt and EEC side by side...... 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: megajolt and EEC side by side......
Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

I've been given the ok buy the missus to "modify" the new AU2.
So long as it results in an improvement to economy.
To this end, i figured the car needs it's ignition tuned to suit the LPG we've had installed.

As the car is duel fueled and runs fine on petrol, i wan't to leave that side of it alone.

what i want to do is use a Megajolt to control the spark while it's on LPG and let the EEC do it's thing while on petrol.

A few questions.
What inputs does the EEC need to control idle speed?

The mega jolt only needs the input from the crank angle sensor, (i'd be usign the map sensor version of the megajolt.

Can the signal from the crank sensor be shared?

How would you go about switching the control of the coils from the EEC to the megajolt?

Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 66 Coupe

WA, Australia

you'd be better off using a MSII w/ the extra code. That way you can run dual spark maps etc end of they day you will have more flexibility.

Post subject: Re: megajolt and EEC side by side......
Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF

VIC, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:

I've shared it on my EF with a Wolf3d
tickford_6 wrote:
How would you go about switching the control of the coils from the EEC to the megajolt?

A set of good relays is the only way I can think of, but it wouldn't be something you would want to do on the fly..

Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR Turbo

NSW, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:

im unsure what the eec needs to control idle speed, however i would assume it would be most of the sensors, just a few that it would rely on would include RPM, intake air temp, coolant temp, ac position, powersteer pressure, gear position (assuming auto)..

tickford_6 wrote:

i would attempt to share the crank sensor, however if the signal is adversly effected by sharing the sensor, you could mount another sensor reading of the same trigger wheel and adjust the squirt to account for the sensor not being at TDC,

tickford_6 wrote:

to switch the two units i would use some diodes and relays..

connect the coil trigger(s) from the megasquirt/jolt and the eec to the coil, with a sufficient diode on each line so they cannot backfeed into each other..

to switch between the two, run the coil power feed from each unit into a switch (or via your petrol/gas switch with relays)
so when on gas the megasquirt/jolt supplies to power to the coil(s) when on petrol the eec supplies power. both earths are connected all the time however isolated from each other via the diodes.

-mitch

BF XR6T 6spd Auto. 60lb injectors, Hybrid Cooler, Custom Piping, Custom Surge Tank, Actuator.

12.3 @ 114

Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:56 am 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

Just thinking out loud here. Couldn't you use one of these J3 chips to do what you want. The ones galapogos01 are pushing has 8 spots for maps. Then load two maps on it and switch maps on the chip?? Just a thought.

Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: EF Falcon XT-T

VIC, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
I've been given the ok buy the missus to "modify" the new AU2.
So long as it results in an improvement to economy.
To this end, i figured the car needs it's ignition tuned to suit the LPG we've had installed.

As the car is duel fueled and runs fine on petrol, i wan't to leave that side of it alone.

what i want to do is use a Megajolt to control the spark while it's on LPG and let the EEC do it's thing while on petrol.

A few questions.

The mega jolt only needs the input from the crank angle sensor, (i'd be usign the map sensor version of the megajolt.

I did this on my EF a few years ago.
still got my megajolt laying around.

have u found any EDIS6 modules yet?
the EEC was very hit and miss about sharing the crank sensor.
i had issues with weak signal etc.

not sure about switching the coil pack, i guess a bunch of relays?

FALCN6 - EF GLi Turbo, 20" Rims, Air Bag Suspension, Straight LPG, 225rwkw
DTHWGN - EA GL Wagon, LTD Interior, Satin Black, 5.0, Turbo
RACER - EF Futura , 5.0, 5 Speed
PROJECT - 83 Thunderbird, Lowered, 18" Billet Wheels
DAILY - BA Fairmont Ghia 5.4 3V

Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

EFfalcon. i did do a search and read through all of your MJ stuff.

EDIS6 modules can be had from http://trigger-wheels.com
i haven't really looked any harder for them yet, i'm sure i could find a better deal, but at least there is guaranteed suply from them.

Mitch. was having a chat to a guy at work who loves this kind of stuff.
seems to think switching with relays will work fine, he also suggested to set it up so that if something fails it reverts back to the EEC. That way there is no chance of running the LPG spark tune while on petrol.

I'm not sure there is any way to set the offset of the sensor with a megajolt.
I know you can with MS, but to be honest i haven't really looked to hard into the MS with regards to this. at the end of the day, it will all come down to cost.
if it's cheaper to use the MJ i'd use it, even if it meant mounting a second trigger wheel and sensor. a few hours with a lathe an old balancer and a tig welder would have it done.

Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: V8 T5 Fairmont & BA XR6T

NSW, Australia

Stick with the EEC, as its already been stated, you can switch between maps on a couple of the chips available (Moates can save 2 bins and Andrews/Galapogos01 can store up to 8) The EEC is made to run all of the Ford hardware, including your dash and climate control, and you wont have any sensor probs. I know that the PIP on the 5ltrs is weak and noisey, however the crank trigger is cleaner from what I understand, but even still, why re-invent the wheel (no pun intended)

Dima, Mitch & Jay's RPD

Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Jaysen wrote:
Stick with the EEC, as its already been stated, you can switch between maps on a couple of the chips available (Moates can save 2 bins and Andrews/Galapogos01 can store up to 8) The EEC is made to run all of the Ford hardware, including your dash and climate control, and you wont have any sensor probs. I know that the PIP on the 5ltrs is weak and noisey, however the crank trigger is cleaner from what I understand, but even still, why re-invent the wheel (no pun intended)

re-inventing can be an interesting path to take sometimes.

Seems to be the better option to use a chip.
with up to 8 to choose from leave plenty of room for playing while still being able to default back to stock.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]