Fordmods Logo

My EF Ignition switch has fallen apart - help! 

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: My EF Ignition switch has fallen apart - help!
Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:34 am 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

Good work. I had that problem to. No accessories equals no air con or windows equals fail coz it is f**k hot over here atm. The the plastic bit with the wires needs to be ever so slightly rotated and pushed in a touch more. Pain in the a*** problem lol.

1995 EF Futura
Port and Polished 94DT Tickford Head - Crow valve springs - 68mm Throttle Body - Wade 1673
4499 Pacemakers - 2.5" exhaust - Ti J3 Chip - 2J1 Techedge Logger -EL Tickford 3.45LSD -
XR low springs - Boge Turbo Shocks - Front DBA slotted Rotors - BA ESS shifter - Shift Kit

Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:00 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: Ford Falcon EF Wagon

WA, Australia

Yeah - I'm happy that I can get about now, but obviously opening windows and air-con are essential at the mo!

Will let you know if I have success with it tomorrow :)

Cheers

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:11 pm 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

Krytox wrote:
MadMatt wrote:
Use a hammer and punch to undo the bolt holding the entire lock assembly and put another 1 on.

As above, also you can replace the barrel (key bit) with your old one with a press of the button underneath.

Be sure to re-stake the now (second hand) one so the a** doesn't fall out as well.

You will have to retrain your BEM, so leave the ignition ON for 45mins until the locks cycle (leave window down just in case. and all should be good.

Andrew

Well - the repair I did on the existing switch didn't work so I'm having to break the old ignition switch off. I'm guessing by using a hammer and punch (I've got both) I would put it at an angle and effectively crack the bolt as if undoing it with a spanner or ratchet?

I've got a fairly decent looking secondhand one from a scrapyard - I'll be swapping the existing key over as well as it'll be annoying unlocking the car with one and then starting it with another.

I'll be giving it a go in a bit - damn car! :x

Thanks again for advice

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:40 pm 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

Would be good to see some progress photos on how you go about doing this as I wish to change mine too. The duct tape not a very good long term solution.

Cheers Tim

1995 EF Futura
Port and Polished 94DT Tickford Head - Crow valve springs - 68mm Throttle Body - Wade 1673
4499 Pacemakers - 2.5" exhaust - Ti J3 Chip - 2J1 Techedge Logger -EL Tickford 3.45LSD -
XR low springs - Boge Turbo Shocks - Front DBA slotted Rotors - BA ESS shifter - Shift Kit

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:07 pm 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

finnigan001 wrote:
Would be good to see some progress photos on how you go about doing this as I wish to change mine too. The duct tape not a very good long term solution.

Cheers Tim

Hi Tim,

I'll see if I can get some photos of the work I've done - it's up and running though, just got to adjust the ignition barrel to get the steering lock working properly - need to get the plastic cowling back on after that.

Thanks again for all the advice guys - I've got a working car again yay!

Cheers,

Andy

Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:14 pm 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

finnigan001 wrote:

Cheers Tim

Hi Tim,

Haven't forgotten you - just been really busy with work and getting other bits on the car sorted (got an LPG issue that I'll be posting about shortly - engine revs surging/dying after driving for about 20 minutes or so, possibly temp related? Switching to petrol and everything's fine!)

Will probably be the weekend when I can post some pics up of what I've had to do - was a bit of a nightmare in total as I screwed around with it and almost set fire to the car before resorting to getting a secondhand ignition switch.

I would definitely not recommend mucking about with a broken ignition switch for too long - those wires are always hot and I was trying to save time and ended up almost setting fire to the car. Have had to wire in a new earth for the ignition switch as mine melted through, but luckily didn't take the rest of the loom with it (I was quick enough to get the battery disconnected).

Will update soon,

Cheers,

Andy

Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: Ed v8 fairmont wagon, wr450f

Power: 137 rwkw

my xg done the same thing with the backing coming off the other day i just put it back in and retapped the outer ring to lock back in place...

phill

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:21 am 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

no problem. I managed to pick up a new barrel myself. Its still on a steering rack, so i might try and replace the whole thing instead of trying to remove the stupid security screws/rivets. i notice wreckers use an angle grinder to cut the barrel off.

look forward to your pics either way.

Cheers Tim.

1995 EF Futura

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:42 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: manual ef xr6

VIC, Australia

mine done it today what a f**k C*** of a job man accept mine wasnt contacting and then it decided to not let me turn it of and started smoking till i disconnected all the wires

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:07 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: BA on gas. EL on gas. XF on gas.

SA, Australia

andyhardy wrote:

Haven't forgotten you - just been really busy with work and getting other bits on the car sorted (got an LPG issue that I'll be posting about shortly - engine revs surging/dying after driving for about 20 minutes or so, possibly temp related? Switching to petrol and everything's fine!)

Next time it dose this, pull over and check if the converter feels hot or cold.
It sounds like it might be freezing up.

I am now thinking about doing a tech doc on changing steering lock assemblies.

Member Number 8804

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:54 am 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

MadMatt wrote:
andyhardy wrote:

Next time it dose this, pull over and check if the converter feels hot or cold.
It sounds like it might be freezing up.

I am now thinking about doing a tech doc on changing steering lock assemblies.

Thanks for that - will give that a try tomorrow as I've got a fairly long drive, won't post on here anymore about it as it's going off the original topic!

A technical document would be good, I think the reason the Haynes manual is vague is due to security? (or perhaps they never imagined the switches falling apart in the car's lifetime?!).

Thanks again for messages of support and 'I had that happen too', it all helps when dealing with problems like this, and maybe whoever needs help on it in the future will do a Google and find this post! :D

Cheers,

Andy

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2