New Haltech unit!! 

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Post subject: New Haltech unit!!
Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 10:41 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: NF Fairlane V8

VIC, Australia

After not being able to get my hands on a Megasquirt 2 at the moment I enquired about the TwEECer unit but they need my EEC to retrieve the binary from it to see if they have something to fit but knowing my car they probably won't :oops: I like the unit for the fact it uses the on board interface to provide new MAP's to the EEC so that all my High end Instr keeps working accurately. So as I was searching around I stumbled across this new Haltech interceptor unit (haven't heard anyone else discussing these on the forum) http://www.haltech.com/interceptor.htm Seems to be just the ticket to keep all the electronics happy short of a massive DIY effort, add to that I want to keep SEFI so I might have a hunt around for the best price.. 8-)

The TORQUE Monster project begins!

Pic's, details and all the yummy stuff:
http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=22693

"There's no replacement for displacement!"

Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 11:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: Mondeo XR5T

Power: 173 rwkw

NSW, Australia

I got the Haltech Interceptor installed at the beginning of the month. It gave me an extra 20rwkw peek, and 30rwkw across the rpm range. I would back the Haltech. Here are my dyno chart differences:

Attachments:
File comment: Without Haltech Interceptor
03June05 Manual.JPG
03June05 Manual.JPG [ 31.25 KiB | Viewed 298 times ]
File comment: With Haltech Interceptor
20June05 Manual Chip.JPG
20June05 Manual Chip.JPG [ 30.72 KiB | Viewed 286 times ]

Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 11:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Shugg wrote:
I got the Haltech Interceptor installed at the beginning of the month. It gave me an extra 20rwkw peek, and 30rwkw across the rpm range. I would back the Haltech. Here are my dyno chart differences:

that dyno readout doesn't show how good the haltech is.

it only proves how misguided people are by thinking it's a good idea to modify engine ands think the factory tune will be good for it

Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:01 am 
Site Admin

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Thats somewhat true.. Any tunable ECU would've given the same end result. This of course depends on the tuner!

The interceptor concept isnt new.. Unichip has been around for many years.

Remember they're not a true standalone ECU, and you still have to play within some limitations of the factory ECU. Alot of people (me included) will tell you that the interceptor style ECU's aren't the perfect solution, and if you spend a little bit more you will get much greater benifits.

SEFI isn't worth crying about.. i'd much prefer go to an aftermarket ECU without SEFI than play with EEC-V with an interceptor.

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:38 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

Well when I posted this I hadn't seen the price, but at the $1k mark I'd rather spend a few more bucks and go the full blown ECU instead of an interceptor. But that said I'd rather spend the dollars on engine mods than on a good aftermarket EEC unit. I'm an electronics tech so I'll go back to option No.1 and get the MegaSquirt, it's all open source so I can mod the software and hardware to do what I want. I'm not all that fussed about SEFI if I get more kw.
Guess I'll have to bot the Storage CRO from work and go to town on Ford's electronics, I've already bypassed Smartlock because of an intermittent fault that always comes good before I can get out the meter and track it down and seeing as there's zero info out there on whats inside the EEC or BEM past the pin I/O's there's not much I can do in there without some serious back-engineering (I don't have a brain that big) but I can program a PIC so the time I spend playing with all that will let me save for a 347 Stroker so I can make some real kw/$$$ :D :D

Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:25 pm 
Site Admin

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

NSW, Australia

NFGhia wrote:
I'd rather spend the dollars on engine mods than on a good aftermarket EEC unit.

I've possibly taken you out of context here, so forgive me. However alot of people think exactly this way.. its a huge mistake. Any car is only ever going to be as good as its tune.

An aftermarket ECU on a stock car can provide gains. A stock ECU on a car which has been modified in any way from stock will result in the end user not getting the full benifit from their modifications! :P

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 8:48 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

Waggin wrote:
NFGhia wrote:
I'd rather spend the dollars on engine mods than on a good aftermarket EEC unit.

I've possibly taken you out of context here, so forgive me. However alot of people think exactly this way.. its a huge mistake. Any car is only ever going to be as good as its tune.

Yeah I hear where your coming from and I wouldn't do major mods without a new EEC so that statement didn't come out right. :oops: I know interceptors are only half a solution but I've only got mild mods at the moment so I was just looking at something cheaper to play with for the time being, but as you said when I get around to doing major engine work then I'll be getting a standalone EEC without a doubt.
But at around $1k for that unit I'd rather spend a couple of hundred more on a full-blown unit that can handle any mods you throw at it. :) :)
and we're all here to exchange ideas and experience so I'm not offended if your not :lol: :lol: :lol: so thanx for the input..

Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:46 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

The limit in knowledge in my opinion on the 6cyl EEC's is the fact that there is not that much interest in them. Its easier to replace then to modify. And not that many people buy these cars for mods. Hence the ECU is not normally looked into. On the other hand, I have seen some decent information regarding the EEC.

On the topic a piggy back unit is definately not as worthwhile as a full unit, and doesn't have all the features. And if you say you have mild modifications, well the EEC isn't THAT weak, it can handle mild mods to an extent, just depends on the mods.

An the MSII and UMS seems like one powerful piece of open source machineary. Especially for that money. Id recommend that if you say you are comfortable with it.

Another thing, if you do get that CRO from work (hehe), there has been rumours that some ECU's were identical, but some features were "disabled" if the car was a different model or didn't have the part that the ECU controlled. Have a look into that.

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Cheap, fast and reliable.. choose 2.

Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:24 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

justfordima wrote:
On the topic a piggy back unit is definately not as worthwhile as a full unit, and doesn't have all the features. And if you say you have mild modifications, well the EEC isn't THAT weak, it can handle mild mods to an extent, just depends on the mods.

An the MSII and UMS seems like one powerful piece of open source machineary. Especially for that money. Id recommend that if you say you are comfortable with it.

Well I've ordered a MegaSquirt kit so I'll start playing with that and get it running the fuel first then do the MSnS mod to control spark. By the time UMS is out I might have heads, inlet, cam, Hmmmm :D

Quote:
Another thing, if you do get that CRO from work (hehe), there has been rumours that some ECU's were identical, but some features were "disabled" if the car was a different model or didn't have the part that the ECU controlled. Have a look into that.

On that I've heard the same thing, the only problem there is I've got a V8 Fairlane so all the options are on. 8-) my problem is to modify, alter, or replace the many and varied signals. :?
But as we know the paths between Theory and Practice often diverge.. Hehehe.. So as soon as I get my kit I'll be into it :twisted:

Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:28 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

well if you have a V8, then the ecu is a hell of alot more common in terms of information, as the US cars use similar set ups. Lucky you. Didn't notice it was a V8. Modifying, altering and replacing signals is basically what an interceptor does (Unichip, Haltech interceptor) but it still has EEC limits. But since the MS is on the way, all of that isn''t going to be a problem 8-) .

Anyway, Good luck.

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL Fairmont

SA, Australia

The V8 being MAF sensored is a far more forgiving device than the I6 ECU. Being MAF based the ECU will respond to engine mods in a far better way than a 6cyl will. Stupid MAP and SD calcs.

Soo many idiots. So few bullets

Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

Walkinshaw wrote:
The V8 being MAF sensored is a far more forgiving device than the I6 ECU. Being MAF based the ECU will respond to engine mods in a far better way than a 6cyl will. Stupid MAP and SD calcs.

Strange how almost all aftermarkets go for SD hey? I guess a lot simpler and dont require MAF conversion tables etc... IIRC Motec one of the few that supoort mass air.

What we need is the Apexi-syle ECUs they have for jap cars. Remove the standard computer and plug in the Apexi suited for the car... you plug in the Apexi skyline/soarer/silvia ECU i.e. need someone to develop a plug and play aftermarket ECU for EF/EL... there'd be a buck in it i reckon... maybe im just dreaming.

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:38 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

are you kidding? playing around with almost 100 wires is great. especially when you don't know which one does what, and try and trace them on the wiring diagram after you cut the plug off.. lol, that would suck. As for plug and play, the point of an EMS is to have a custom tune. Not so custom if its plug and play, no fun I reckon.

As for Walkinshaws comment... some people don't have the luxury of wire dangling in their air intaking... but if you supply me with a V8 Id be glad to use a MAF :wink:

But each have their ups and downs... I just live with it.

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]