Nl Fairlane V8 Fuel Gauge Only reads 3/4 Full 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: Nl Fairlane V8 Fuel Gauge Only reads 3/4 Full
Posted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:14 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: FBT

NSW, Australia

Hey all,
I have an issue where my NL fairlane were Its not taking mare than just under 3/4 of a tank of fuel? im just wondering if anyone has had or heard of a similar issue. it doesnt appear to be a sender issue or gauge issue (but happy to be proved wrong) Thanks in advance for any help :D

These days milk & juice are quiet powerfull

Post subject: Re: Nl Fairlane V8 Fuel Gauge Only reads 3/4 Full
Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:59 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: Fairlane Concorde 4.0

NSW, Australia

When I changed the fuel pump in my NF fairlane noticed the sender unit is the old varible resistance type as used in cars from years ago. Gone are the days of the capacitance probe of the X series cars. In the old days we just shorted the wire at the sender to the chassis. Not sure if this will work with modern solid state electronics. The current flow may be excessive.

If someone on this forum has an EL sender unit out of tank, they could do a resistance check at a float level equivalent to full. Then you could substitute a 2 or 5 watt wire wound resistor at roughly the same value in place of your sender unit. I would start with a 4.7ohm and see if you get a higher reading than your sender unit. If you do I would suggest changing the sender unit in the tank.

NF Fairlane: Non Factory Dual Fuel - New coolant tank, New fuel injectors, New fuel pump, New earth cable, ECU capacitors replaced, New O2 sensor, leads and plugs, New Radiator/Condensor cleaned. 483,000kms. AU I6 Powered. Struts, Shockies, Tie rods and ball joints replaced.

Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:02 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

Just noticed another discussion on the same topic further down the list. Try that first.

ref:Fuel Sender Ohms at Empty and Full for 95 XR6

NF Fairlane: Non Factory Dual Fuel - New coolant tank, New fuel injectors, New fuel pump, New earth cable, ECU capacitors replaced, New O2 sensor, leads and plugs, New Radiator/Condensor cleaned. 483,000kms. AU I6 Powered. Struts, Shockies, Tie rods and ball joints replaced.

Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:59 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

Ok thanks ill give that a shot I dont acctually think its filling past 3/4 but i have run the thing dry & only get about 50L in the tank ?

Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:10 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

How did you know it was dry? Did you just use empty on the gauge as the cue to fill the car? The reason I ask is that I thought I had mine dry as well. I pulling the fuel pump only to discover a lot of fuel still in the tank (was empty on gauge). Maybe your only able to put 50 litres in because you still have a reasonable amount left in the tank.

Just a thought.

Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:26 am 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

"How did you know it was dry? "
Hey how r u i ran the car till it ran out of fuel, i think i could have filler neck issue as it clicks but never spills out when filling it & i can keep sqeeeziing more & more in 1 click at a time

Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:53 am 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

Well we can rule out my theory. Sounds like your on the right track with the filler neck. Have you done a physical check of the 2 flexible hoses from the filler/breather to the tank. May have some distortion or kinking. Also just a thought but new cars usually have an anti siphon mesh fitted part way done the filler. If that was partially blocked with a foreign object, this may cause more fuel to regurgitate and cause the bowser to click off.

Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:02 am 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

Hey thanks for replying, I am dropping the tank after the fuel is used but i only drive it about 100 k a month so may have to do a trip this weekend so i can drop her sooner & check those hoses out

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]