Fordmods Logo

No 12v to Fuel Pump? EB V8 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: No 12v to Fuel Pump? EB V8
Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:31 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 5lt Turbo NC, TE V6 Gemini

VIC, Australia

Ive hidden all my engine bay wiring so im struggling to work out which relay is which, but i had my looms hidden 2 years ago and hadn't had a problem until now...I havent got 12v at the fuel pump, and on pin 22 on the ECU there is no power either...Where else should i be looking?

Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:51 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: V8 T5 Fairmont & BA XR6T

NSW, Australia

the main ECU power relay also triggers the fuel pump relay, one is green and one is brown on the EF/EL's but I dont know for sure if yours is the same. Mine are hidden under the coolant header tank, so I would assume that you would have yours somewhere around there even if they are hidden up under your wheel arch, otherwise you would have to had extended the wiring to put them somewhere else.

Dima, Mitch & Jay's RPD

Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:56 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

but i have no power from the ecu to the fuel pump relay?

Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:57 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

are you sure that the ECU has power?

Dima, Mitch & Jay's RPD

Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

when i turn the key to on, i would expect at least a short burst of power to pin 22 to switch on the fuel pump...but there is nothing

Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

You made me think for a sec there, but Ill clarify what I said above, the ECU relay provides power to the Fuel Pump relay, but the ECU controls the Fuel Pump Relay Switching circuit. I dont remember the pin numbers, but just double check that you do have power going to the EEC itself, and there are a few 12V+ inputs for different things ie KAM is one of them. If you do have power going in, then pop the ECU apart, and you might find a transistor thats bung, if you want to fix it yourself, if not then a new ECU might be in order.

Dima, Mitch & Jay's RPD

Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:33 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: XC UTE

NSW, Australia

The EEC provides the earth to switch the fuel pump on.
Like Jaysen says, the (Brown) main power relay provides power to the (Green) fuel pump relay. These are normally located under or near the battery tray.

The ignition/power wires which goes to the EEC are normally red or red/green. Check these wires have +12V with the ignition turned on. You dont need the computer plugged in for these checks.
Forget about pulling the EEC appart, unless you know what you are looking for with electronics.

There are two quick checks you can do to check the fuel pump/power wiring/relays,

Get a digital multimeter and remove the EEC. Find which socket/wire goes to the fuelpump relay. It should be a grey/green wire (pin #22) and you should have +12V with the ignition switched on.

If you dont have +12V dont worry about the EEC it is probably OK. You need to fix the relays

If you do have +12V on pin #22, With the EEC removed, you can earth the grey/green wire which goes to the (Green) fuelpump relay. This should switch the fuel pump relay on.
This will do the same thing as what the EEC would normally do. If this is the case your EEC could be the cause. However this is very unlikley.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]