Piggy back or chip??? 

Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Sat May 20, 2006 5:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

EBTS50 wrote:
is 1200 cheap 4 a piggy back???

That would be the average going rate. I wouldnt bother though - piggybacks are not a very good way to tune your engine and if not done right the ECU has a habit of learning around them.

Keep in mind you can get full aftermarket ecu's for only a couple of hundred more or chiptorques and tweecers for about half the price.

And no - tweecers dont have realtime tuning (although you knew that already right?). Here is one for you: q2 - how many aftermarket ECU's can be purchased new for under $1000, can be installed/removed in 5 minutes with no cutting of wires by somebody with no auto elec experience, and can be tuned at home by the owner?

Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas

Posted: Sat May 20, 2006 5:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: ba

VIC, Australia

ok thanks

Ba Stock As A Rock

Posted: Sat May 20, 2006 5:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

q2 - how many aftermarket ECU's can be purchased new for under $1000, can be installed/removed in 5 minutes with no cutting of wires by somebody with no auto elec experience, and can be tuned at home by the owner?

several , and once again if someone wants to make a harness up to match the factory harness then that can be done on the Wolf , EMS , microtech, Haltech, Altronics and Motec if someone has azillion dollars in there account

Now for the under $1000 dollars im assuming ur referring to MegaSquirt DIY system and dont get be wrong im not knocking ths system but u failed to mention u have to spend some time assemblying it and still fabricate a harness connect to add to a eec4 or a eec5.

WANTED - Complete BTr4 and zf 6hp26 automatic transmission 6 cylinder and V8 transmission(s) suit rebuild? Drop me a PM if you can help would be greatly appreciated - thanks

Posted: Sat May 20, 2006 5:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

FPV_GTp wrote:
Now for the under $1000 dollars im assuming ur referring to MegaSquirt DIY system and dont get be wrong im not knocking ths system but u failed to mention u have to spend some time assemblying it and still fabricate a harness connect to add to a eec4 or a eec5.

Nah I was talking about the Tweecers. Im dont recommend the MS2 to anyone (as much as I love mine) because they have a very poor success rate in Falcons at the moment.

Posted: Sat May 20, 2006 5:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

wats the MS2

Ba Stock As A Rock

Posted: Sat May 20, 2006 6:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

EBTS50 wrote:
wats the MS2

Its an aftermarket ECU that you build yourself. The good side is you get a ECU with lots of features for as little as $350, the downside is you have to build it yourself and you can easily end up with a $350 paper wieght.

more info - http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=25221

Posted: Sat May 20, 2006 6:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

cool thanks

Ba Stock As A Rock

Posted: Sun May 21, 2006 1:59 pm 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

FPV_GTp wrote:
OK

q1. Can u tune with tweecer LIVE ?

LIVE = engine running and make the correct adjustments wether it be Idle speed adjustment , fuel settings on light to high load , Ignition timing again through the whole rev range . And as soon as u adjust the change happens within milliseconds.

Yes, you just check the update only box, hit the write TwEECer button and it will change instantly.
It's not completely real time but it does happen in milliseconds.
Why don't you download the software from the tweecer site...it's available to everyone whether you buy a tweecer or not?
Besides if have to wait a little longer to make a change to a cal it's a good thing....I've seen more than a few examples of real time changes that have caused more trouble than it's worth. You better start bagging out the SCT stuff if you're so concerned about real time changes....they take minutes to update!
Also unlike piggy back rubbish YOU...THE CUSTOMER have complete software access. So if you want to learn you can calibrate the car yourself.
Now tell me apart from this vague "Several" s**t what aftermarket ECU can be purchased for under $1000 and installed and tuned by the owner. You conveniently omit the cost of making the adaptor harness I see. You also completely forget about the quality and functionality of the EEC...unless you spend upward of 4 grand you never get close to.
You also fail to realise the massive cost reduction in calibration time due to the fact you already have a good starting cal.
BTW NO PIGGYBACK DEVICE CAN EVER GET AROUND ADAPTIVE CONTROL!

Pete.

Posted: Sun May 21, 2006 2:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

XR9UTE wrote:
FPV_GTp wrote:
OK

q1. Can u tune with tweecer LIVE ?

LIVE = engine running and make the correct adjustments wether it be Idle speed adjustment , fuel settings on light to high load , Ignition timing again through the whole rev range . And as soon as u adjust the change happens within milliseconds.

Yes, you just check the update only box, hit the write TwEECer button and it will change instantly.
It's not completely real time but it does happen in milliseconds.
Why don't you download the software from the tweecer site...it's available to everyone whether you buy a tweecer or not?
Besides if have to wait a little longer to make a change to a cal it's a good thing....I've seen more than a few examples of real time changes that have caused more trouble than it's worth. You better start bagging out the SCT stuff if you're so concerned about real time changes....they take minutes to update!
Also unlike piggy back rubbish YOU...THE CUSTOMER have complete software access. So if you want to learn you can calibrate the car yourself.
Now tell me apart from this vague "Several" s**t what aftermarket ECU can be purchased for under $1000 and installed and tuned by the owner. You conveniently omit the cost of making the adaptor harness I see. You also completely forget about the quality and functionality of the EEC...unless you spend upward of 4 grand you never get close to.
You also fail to realise the massive cost reduction in calibration time due to the fact you already have a good starting cal.
BTW NO PIGGYBACK DEVICE CAN EVER GET AROUND ADAPTIVE CONTROL!

Pete.

Pete u missunderstood my question , example can u hold a engine on a chassis dyno at 3000rpm pulling -15 inHg of manifold vacuum which is ruoghly 1/4 throttle or 25% load at that RPM can u change the air/fuel ratio while the engine is running and same go for all the throttle settings from light throttle to wide open throttle 100% fully open ?

to adjust a air/fuel map for any given engine does matter what engine managment system u use to adjust all the points will take alot of time from say at Idle seattings right up wide open throttle settings say 800rpm to say what ever the engine is capable of revving to say 5500rpm for most stockys and some of the hi-performances engine even upto 8000rpm

cuase there is no other proper way of adjusting air/fuel ratio or correct ignition maps other than LIVE on a DYNO , not this method i think it might like it at this point download and try it and see what happens ????

so tweecer is not live at all , downlaod times makes not differenace other than transfer of program but does do realtime tuning

But u have a point its better than all the rubbish piggyback signal modifiers that fool th factory ECU .

Its just a pitty there is no realtime EEC4 or EEC5 tuning software out there and that supports Australian vehicles 100% for Vehicles starting at the very early EEC4 in the XF right upto the EL , AU series1 EEC5 ECU's

cheers

WANTED - Complete BTr4 and zf 6hp26 automatic transmission 6 cylinder and V8 transmission(s) suit rebuild? Drop me a PM if you can help would be greatly appreciated - thanks

Posted: Sun May 21, 2006 3:16 pm 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

I did not misunderstand your question.....As i said...it's not real time but as long you have the update only box checked...you can hold it at a given load/speed point on the dyno and make changes while you hold it there. I do this all the time.
The point about piggyback signal modifiers is that they DON'T fool the factory EEC and therefore must be continually "retuned" by the place that sold the the thing due to adaptive learning(which BTW you can turn off or change the cells in the adaptive map with TwEECer) because they won't sell the damn software to the customer.

Cheers,
Pete.

Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 12:23 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: ELXR8

NSW, Australia

Hi
I have an ELXR8 series 2 Auto ex chaser and have been thinking about starting my mods by purching a after market ECU.
Which do you think is the best one to go with ?
Or this TwEEcer unit that you guys have been talking about im not to clued up about this stuff so as much help as possable would be great.
I have a mate who is a Auto lec who tunes his own cars so he can tune it for me.
Thanks Dave

Tickford A True Legend
Where it all began

Posted: Thu May 25, 2006 4:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

wolf 3D

Ba Stock As A Rock

Post subject: ECUS????
Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:42 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: XB ute, ED mont

WA, Australia

hi i have just purchased a 200kw 5ltr for my ED 5ltr

i was planning on running au maf injectors throttle body

would stock ecu run this or will i have to run something with it

i was thinking

Haltech Miniceptor

Tweecer

or i have bee told eec iv is self lean is this true??

any suggestions, btw was staying with ED factory eeciv ecu

any others suggestion would be greatly appreciated

ED Fairmont, XR lights, AU tickford 200kw, GT-P 18's, TwEEcer, 230kw, KAAZ LSD.

Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:09 am 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

It won't run properly.
You'll need a means of recalibration.
If you run your stock injectors and the MAF electronics from your ED on the AU MAF you can get away with running it like that.
To do it right you'll need to recal the EEC and the tweecer can do this.

Pete.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2