Fordmods Logo

Powerchip Gold 98 

 

Page 1 of 4 [ 56 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

 
 Post subject: Powerchip Gold 98
Posted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 28

Posts: 540

Joined: 9th Aug 2007

Ride: FG Ute, ED XR8 Sprint, GPZ900R

Location: Leopold, Geelong
VIC, Australia

Hey guys, what can people tell me about powerchip gold 98, im very interested to see what people have found. My mate recently put a plug and play chip in his VN 5 Litre and it turned a slow and sluggish commodore into a faster smoother one. I know what powerchip claim they can do but would like to see what real results people have had with them. Are they worth the $900?
Cheers

 

_________________

The Past: EF Fairmont, EL Fairmont 5.0, HR Special, NF Fairlane 5.0, GSX 250-F, BA II XR8, VS3 Ute, VS2 L67 Calais

The Present: FG Egas Ute, ED XR8 Sprint, GPZ 900R

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:53 pm 
Stock as a Rock
Offline

Age: 36

Posts: 153

Joined: 20th Apr 2008

Gallery: 23 images

Ride: EF Fairmont Ghia V8

Location: Bendigo
VIC, Australia

Hi mate,

I got mine a couple of years ago when all i had done what cheap after market headers and a 3 inch exhaust and you can tell the difference. Throttle response is a lot smoother and it helps with low down power, i've also found that it keeps up with future mods. In regards to price, its a little bit more expensive then a switch chip but there is no dyno time required for tuning. so in the end prob works out a bit cheaper and it is piss easy to install.

regards

Trent

 

_________________

SIGNATURE PIC TO LARGE... REMOVED BY MODERATOR!

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:24 pm 
Stock as a Rock
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 174

Joined: 27th Jan 2005

Location: canberra
ACT, Australia

MY347 is correct, we fitted 1 to my brothers ELGHIA a few years ago and it did make it punchier down low, and a lot smoother all the way through. It also gained 19kw on the dyno. Are they worth the $900? I reckon that is a little over priced especially when u can have my brand new 1 still in the box for $250 lol. With a good exhaust they do make a good difference and you don't need to spend extra $ in dyno time.

 

_________________

There's no replacement for XR8 displacement

Drivin' E'z is the only addiction

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 28

Posts: 540

Joined: 9th Aug 2007

Ride: FG Ute, ED XR8 Sprint, GPZ900R

Location: Leopold, Geelong
VIC, Australia

If its for sale i'll take it :-)

 

_________________

The Past: EF Fairmont, EL Fairmont 5.0, HR Special, NF Fairlane 5.0, GSX 250-F, BA II XR8, VS3 Ute, VS2 L67 Calais

The Present: FG Egas Ute, ED XR8 Sprint, GPZ 900R

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:38 pm 
Stock as a Rock
Offline

Age: 36

Posts: 153

Joined: 20th Apr 2008

Gallery: 23 images

Ride: EF Fairmont Ghia V8

Location: Bendigo
VIC, Australia

The thing you have to keep in mind is they match the chip to your ecu catch code, but i am pretty sure they offer a service where you can send it to them and they will reprogram it and match it for you.

Trent

 

_________________

SIGNATURE PIC TO LARGE... REMOVED BY MODERATOR!

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 29

Posts: 814

Joined: 2nd Apr 2007

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: ED fairmont Ghia 5 litre

Location: blue mountains
NSW, Australia

in keen if its for sale aswell
would it suit an ed fairmont ghia 5 litre auto

 

_________________

THE V8 OUTLAW

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:03 am 
Stock as a Rock
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 167

Joined: 22nd Jun 2008

Location: INGLEWOOD
QLD, Australia

vrblou02 wrote:
in keen if its for sale aswell
would it suit an ed fairmont ghia 5 litre auto
Hi vrblou02,
If your after a POWERCHIP GOLD98 to suit a ED FAIRMONT GHIA 5.0L AUTO, i MIGHT be selling mine as i have a ED GHIA 5.0L auto as well, if your catch code is 3DFA it will suit your car,
BUT don't hold your breath i don't know what i'm doing with it atm.
If i do decide to sell it i will give you first dibs as i'd rather see it in another car and not sitting in my drawer!!
Cheers Jason. :)
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:15 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 33

Posts: 2058

Joined: 25th May 2006

Ride: ef xr8

Power: 229 rwkw

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

So no need for a dyno tune with the Powerchip? Check AFR's?

So it'd be good for a lightly modified car? Do they do em for strokers/ forced induction?

Do you pre order a tune (say small cam) then just plug it in and it works? Or does it adjust the fuel/spark to suit the specific range the chip is tuned for?

Ive always heard that some chips can be hit and miss, but its good to see there are some out there that work and can give good gains.

 

_________________

Because of Beer, Thirst is a Beautiful Thing!

'95 EF XR8 auto, Advance headers, 3" exhaust, Cobra manifold, BBK 75mm throttle body , 80MM Marauder MAF, Vortech V2 T Trim , 307 rwhp, 405 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105 MPH

Now N/A (permanent Lag) - AFR 165's, Comp XE270 cam, 1.6 RR - 269 rwhp 14.1 @ 102mph.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:25 am 
Stock as a Rock
Offline

Age: 36

Posts: 153

Joined: 20th Apr 2008

Gallery: 23 images

Ride: EF Fairmont Ghia V8

Location: Bendigo
VIC, Australia

schnoods, they are perfect for slighty modified cars and you do not need to dyno them as when you call them to order it they ask you what your current mods are and even future mods. they will then program the chip for your specific needs. And yes they are just plug and play, they do take about 100km's of driving to adapt completely to your setup but after that you don't have to think about it again. In regards to forced induction they state on they're site to speak to your builder about tuning as they do not offer a program for boost.

Regards

Trent

 

_________________

SIGNATURE PIC TO LARGE... REMOVED BY MODERATOR!

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 29

Posts: 814

Joined: 2nd Apr 2007

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: ED fairmont Ghia 5 litre

Location: blue mountains
NSW, Australia

COBRAED wrote:
vrblou02 wrote:
in keen if its for sale aswell
would it suit an ed fairmont ghia 5 litre auto
Hi vrblou02,
If your after a POWERCHIP GOLD98 to suit a ED FAIRMONT GHIA 5.0L AUTO, i MIGHT be selling mine as i have a ED GHIA 5.0L auto as well, if your catch code is 3DFA it will suit your car,
BUT don't hold your breath i don't know what i'm doing with it atm.
If i do decide to sell it i will give you first dibs as i'd rather see it in another car and not sitting in my drawer!!
Cheers Jason. :)


hey
how would i check my code?

Drifty

 

_________________

THE V8 OUTLAW

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:08 pm 
Stock as a Rock
Offline

Age: 36

Posts: 153

Joined: 20th Apr 2008

Gallery: 23 images

Ride: EF Fairmont Ghia V8

Location: Bendigo
VIC, Australia

All you have to do is remove your passenger kick panel, undo the screw holding the ECU in place and its the 4 letter code on the back.

Trent

 

_________________

SIGNATURE PIC TO LARGE... REMOVED BY MODERATOR!

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 28

Posts: 540

Joined: 9th Aug 2007

Ride: FG Ute, ED XR8 Sprint, GPZ900R

Location: Leopold, Geelong
VIC, Australia

Is the better fuel economy notciable, not that im buying one for that just out of interest.

 

_________________

The Past: EF Fairmont, EL Fairmont 5.0, HR Special, NF Fairlane 5.0, GSX 250-F, BA II XR8, VS3 Ute, VS2 L67 Calais

The Present: FG Egas Ute, ED XR8 Sprint, GPZ 900R

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 29

Posts: 814

Joined: 2nd Apr 2007

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: ED fairmont Ghia 5 litre

Location: blue mountains
NSW, Australia

yea good question burns
id like to see the answer to that aswell
and cobra how come ur tossin up on seeling urs?
and what sorta price are u chasing for it if u do decide to sell?

also today i noticed i had coolant spilt up in the back passenger side corner and a lil on the side of the rocker cover and all the heater hoses
any idea where this would have come from
only reason i knew was because it was green lol as the car has green coolant in it

and i also took a little time to have a look at the headers
and got they look so f**k restrictive like all crimped up style an that

so i reckon a set of extractors would do my car the world of good

:lol:

 

_________________

THE V8 OUTLAW

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:52 pm 
Stock as a Rock
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 167

Joined: 22nd Jun 2008

Location: INGLEWOOD
QLD, Australia

vrblou02 wrote:
yea good question burns
id like to see the answer to that aswell
and cobra how come ur tossin up on seeling urs?
and what sorta price are u chasing for it if u do decide to sell?

also today i noticed i had coolant spilt up in the back passenger side corner and a lil on the side of the rocker cover and all the heater hoses
any idea where this would have come from
only reason i knew was because it was green lol as the car has green coolant in it

and i also took a little time to have a look at the headers
and got they look so f**k restrictive like all crimped up style an that

so i reckon a set of extractors would do my car the world of good

:lol:
Hi vrblou02, i WAS going to sell mine cause of the mods i have, but MY 347 has imformed me that the mods i have the POWERCHIP will be fine as he has nearly the same mods i have, so he has convinced me that i will be keepin it,
Sorry if thats stuffed you around i was so confussed about the ecu ,
IF your still chasing one see if ratman still has his and see what catch code he's is, if it's differant than yours call POWERCHIP on 03 9544 7711 and see if you can talk to BEN ZACHARIAH he is the FORD Power Consultant and see if he can reprogram it, i don't know if it can be done but its worth a try and it PROBERLY save you some money,
cause at $800 -- $950 or so that's a bit too pricey i got mine back in 2005 and it cost me $690 to buy and $40 to express post and insurance $730 all up
to my door.
I'm sorry to change my mind but i'm going to keep it as i'm happy with it ATM!!
P.S, if you have the spare money get rid of that restrictive top end!! thats half your power trouble, if you can get the GT40 stuff cheap GRAB IT WITH BOTH HANDS!! and i will keep an eye out for you, cause i know what its like to have had a guttless V8!!
Cheers,
Jason. :)
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:04 pm 
Stock as a Rock
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 167

Joined: 22nd Jun 2008

Location: INGLEWOOD
QLD, Australia

COBRAED wrote:
vrblou02 wrote:
yea good question burns
id like to see the answer to that aswell
and cobra how come ur tossin up on seeling urs?
and what sorta price are u chasing for it if u do decide to sell?

also today i noticed i had coolant spilt up in the back passenger side corner and a lil on the side of the rocker cover and all the heater hoses
any idea where this would have come from
only reason i knew was because it was green lol as the car has green coolant in it

and i also took a little time to have a look at the headers
and got they look so f**k restrictive like all crimped up style an that

so i reckon a set of extractors would do my car the world of good

:lol:
Hi vrblou02, i WAS going to sell mine cause of the mods i have, but MY 347 has imformed me that the mods i have the POWERCHIP will be fine as he has nearly the same mods i have, so he has convinced me that i will be keepin it,
Sorry if thats stuffed you around i was so confussed about the ecu ,
IF your still chasing one see if ratman still has his and see what catch code he's is, if it's differant than yours call POWERCHIP on 03 9544 7711 and see if you can talk to BEN ZACHARIAH he is the FORD Power Consultant and see if he can reprogram it, i don't know if it can be done but its worth a try and it PROBERLY save you some money,
cause at $800 -- $950 or so that's a bit too pricey i got mine back in 2005 and it cost me $690 to buy and $40 to express post and insurance $730 all up
to my door.
I'm sorry to change my mind but i'm going to keep it as i'm happy with it ATM!!
P.S, if you have the spare money get rid of that restrictive top end!! thats half your power trouble, if you can get the GT40 stuff cheap GRAB IT WITH BOTH HANDS!! and i will keep an eye out for you, cause i know what its like to have had a guttless V8!!
Cheers,
Jason. :)
I forgot to mention, the fuel econemy is much better, at 100-- 110km/h i am getting between 8-10 litres per 100km that's still pretty good, depends how ya drive it!!
If you end up gettin the POWERCHIP let's see if the three of us MY347, VRBLOU02, and me COBRAED can prove the others wrong!! i don't know if anyone else will agree, but let's try!!
Jason.
Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 1 of 4  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:37 am All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names