pulling ECU codes off an EB XR8 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: pulling ECU codes off an EB XR8
Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:50 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EB XR8 sprint

VIC, Australia

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone knows the correct procedure for retrieving codes from an EB XR8 (EEC-IV i think?)

Ive heard of it being done with an LED hooked up to the STO plug near the booster, but im struggling to find any info on it, as half my workshop manual is missing (guess which half) :(

Any information would be greatly appreciated

Regards
Ralphy

Oh my god!! Im a rage-o-holic... I cant live without rage-o-hol!! - Homer J Simpson

Post subject: Re: pulling ECU codes off an EB XR8
Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

ralphy351 wrote:
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone knows the correct procedure for retrieving codes from an EB XR8 (EEC-IV i think?)

Ive heard of it being done with an LED hooked up to the STO plug near the booster, but im struggling to find any info on it, as half my workshop manual is missing (guess which half) :(

Any information would be greatly appreciated

Regards
Ralphy

hi

will post on monday or tuesday some information you requirer all my info is at work

by the way did you have a look in the tech section of this forum theres heaps of info there but nor sure the info your looking for i havent been thro the whole lot

cya

WANTED - Complete BTr4 and zf 6hp26 automatic transmission 6 cylinder and V8 transmission(s) suit rebuild? Drop me a PM if you can help would be greatly appreciated - thanks

Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:55 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Thanks mate, now i might be able to get to the bottom of my idle issues.

I had a look at the doco's section, but could only find info on EF/EL, EEC-V which i think uses a plug located near the fusebox, im not sure if the EB's have this or not, but ive never seen it in mine, cant remember reading it in the manual either.

Oh my god!! Im a rage-o-holic... I cant live without rage-o-hol!! - Homer J Simpson

Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:17 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 320kw BA XR8

SA, Australia

I am pretty sure the all V8's had the plug under the dash (just under the fuse panel). It is the same proceedure as with the EF/EL's however the codes vary.

Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:22 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Had a look last nite, found what i believe is the plug, the picture of it on the doco is showing one of those pesky little red crosses :( So im assuming that its a black plug with about 16 pins, and a weird a** looking 45 degree clip on the left side?

If that fits the description, ive found it, just have to find my multimeter or make a test light. If im using an LED, should i also use a resistor?

Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:49 pm 
Tyre Shredder

WA, Australia

ralphy, do you know anyone with a snap-on scanner?
they plug into the 16 pin connector in where the fuses are located, but heres the milloin dollar question.......why do you want the codes to begin with?

OFFICIAL TOKEN BLACKY

Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

black ed xr8 wrote:
why do you want the codes to begin with?

I and a lot of other people regularly run the codes, for me its part of the normal service. Code scanners are nice, but just using an LED test light is still easy and much cheaper.

Oh and the proceedure if you havent already found it. Short out the upper and lower left hand pins, and hook the test light up to the 5th pin from the right on the upper row. And yes you will need a resistor to run an LED because it will blow otherwise, from memory you want aronf 480 Ohms but I'll check on that.

Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:21 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

"black ed xr8 wrote:
why do you want the codes to begin with? "

I just see it as a good bit of info to have, my dad spent hundreds of dollars getting some backyard mechanic to fix his EB's idle issues, he tried everything, simple check of the codes revealed a dodgey MAP sensor. Now im having idle issues myself, any info that could possibly save me taking the car to the mechanic would be good.

"hook the test light up to the 5th pin from the right on the upper row. "

Well this would explain why it didnt work for me last nite, i was going for 5th pin on from the left. D'oh!

Ill try again tonite and see how i go.

thanks

Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

ralphy351 wrote:
"hook the test light up to the 5th pin from the right on the upper row. "

Well this would explain why it didnt work for me last nite, i was going for 5th pin on from the left. D'oh!

Sorry it was a typo, it is suppose to be 5th from the left, my mistake.

Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:33 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Hrmmm.... thats exactly what i tried last night, shorted top and bottom pins on the left hand side, and hooked the LED up to 5th from the left, and grounded it, however, i was in a hurry, might have to pull the good ol analog multimeter out later and try it with that.

Also, does my description of the plug fit? Because im almost certain i read somewhere theyre a white plug, but im not 100% on that.

Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:04 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Had another try today, and got it going. Managed to pull engine codes 41 (right HEGO circuit faulty) and 34 (EVP voltage above closed limit)

I must say, im not really suprised at the results. As the symptoms described are quite accurate, ( surge at low RPM, poor idle etc....)

Anyone got any pointers or suggestions before I get into troubleshooting?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]