Fordmods Logo

questions about LPG 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: questions about LPG
Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 9:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: '98 EL Fairmont

VIC, Australia

What is the cheapest way I can legally get a EF/EL converted to gas? It is so hard to find a clean reasonably priced EF/EL on gas so I was thinking about just buying one on petrol and converting it. My brother and father are pretty much qualified mechanics so they can install it no problems but can I just get them to install a 2nd hand unit and then take it to a gas joint and get them to check it over and comply it? How much am I looking at for that?

Posted: Sat May 13, 2006 8:20 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

from my own experiences it works out more expensive to but a second hand system and trying to get it installed. also most gas blokes wont even be willing to look at a system they havent installed and if they do they will charge you an arm and a leg. Theres a good place in sunshine if ya want

Posted: Sat May 13, 2006 11:43 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Fairlane

NSW, Australia

Heyo,

I'm in the process of doing that to the fairy, i got all
the bits at pick n payless wreaker, went to a gas place that sells new systems to installers, they sold me a few valves, filters, hoses, etc that needs to be new. They even photocopied the original instructions to the L'renzo mixer and evaportator. and i've found a place that will certifify it when i've installed it all. So far i've installed the tank and the evaporator, mixer and filler connection. next is all the hoses and piping.

costs (aprox):

Tank with mounting bracket: $100 with 5 years before due for check
mixer and heat exchanger: $100
new holes, shut off valves, copper piping, filler conector: $120
quoted price of certification: $200.

It is time consuming to fit though, bear in mind that it takes people who do this every day 5-8hours to ft a complete system. So expect to spend a whole weekend fitting it. The tank was a bastard, just being so big and heavy and a very tight fit.

Your best bet is to go to a bunch of different places and ask. While it is not illegal to fit an LPG system yourself, it is discouraged, and must be certified by someone whos done the 14week course at tafe. As such its fairly difficult to find information about it, but seek and you will find.

Goto a wreakers where you can have a close look at some cars with LPG fitted (old taxis r good) and you can work out most things from just seeing how other people have done it.

There a couple of guides on the net that aren't too bad. Just remember you're working with a highly compressed flamable gas, if you're not sure about something, ask. Eg, did u know LPG gas is heavier then air? so when it escapes it hangs around the floor.

hope this has helped a bit.

cya
Rene.

Posted: Sun May 14, 2006 1:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: '98 EL Fairmont

VIC, Australia

Thanks that helps alot, My brother and dad have both put new motors in my car and my brothers car and have had to reconnect all the LPG stuff so I am pretty sure that installation wont be an issue. I just needed to know if I could get a 2nd hand one setup and install it.

Posted: Sun May 14, 2006 11:31 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: Ford Ef Futura

WA, Australia

I got a gas conversion on the Falcon for 2200.

Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 12:03 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Soarer 2.5GT-T

VIC, Australia

Do it man. I just bought a gas fairmont, and it's sick as :p. $27 bucks to fill up :D.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]