Fordmods Logo

ran out of fuel now doesn't start? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: ran out of fuel now doesn't start?
Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:16 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EF f a i r m o n t

Power: 315 rwkw

WA, Australia

hi guys,

This is my first post on fordmods and wasn't quite sure weather this was the right place to post this. but any way here goes.

Today i was driving to the petrol station to get petrol. My trip said zero so petrol was really low. About half way there the engine cut out so i pulled over and got mate to pick me up so could get some fuel.

I put 5ltrs in the tank and tried to start my car, but it wouldnt start. The fuel gauge is now about half way up the red. After repeated tries at starting i had to get my car towed.

Does anyone have any idea or hints of what could be going wrong?

By the way I drive a 95 ef fairmont.

1995 EF Fairmont with all the Gear.

Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:45 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 320kw BA XR8

SA, Australia

Just try to get any air out of the system by turning the key to on, then off a number of times before trying to crank the engine. Each time you should hear the fuel pump prime for a few secs. If this doesnt work you may have sucked up some rubbish from the bottom of the tank and clogged the filter on the pump itself or the inline filter (although this normally just means your engien will run like crap, but it should still start). Another possibility is the pump is now dead, older pumps can fail after running out of fuel.

Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: EF SERIES II FAIRMONT

SA, Australia

another problem could be, because u ran ur tank to nothing, your pump might now be full of crap, and also your filter. so ur filter might need to be changed and u should have thrown more than five litres in the tank, i know it hard with a small can but the more fuel in there it could have clean the s**t out of the pump.

FORD 1996 EF FAIRMONT ARGON SILVER
18 INCH GT-P WHEELS
POWERCHIP,AWESOME STEREO,MONSTER FLOW POD FILTER
KYB LOWERED SHOCKs & KINGSPRING SUPERLOWS
XTRACTORS 2.5 INCH PIPES HI-FLOW CAT SML STRAIGHT THRU MUFF TWIN TIPS
DBA STREET SERIES SLOTTED ROTORS
*IT'S MY PRIDE & JOY*

Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: EBII Fairmont Ghia

VIC, Australia

Yay! I think I can answer this, I did the same thing but mine ran rough as s**t. Check you VAC line on the MAP sensor, its to the left of the washer bottle, well on an EB2.

Ben

Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:20 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: falcon

VIC, Australia

it happened to our cars before as well.

the distributer had to be changed. Dunno y, but it fixed it.

doing it in reverse with a fwd is like being fuked by a fat man and saying "well he has tits so i'm not gay"

Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: EL Falcon GLI

VIC, Australia

mmmmm yeah my engines cut out and it wouldnt start, and yeah it was the distributor, paid like $320 to fix it! runs fine now :) but it wasnt low fuel related...

Buy my car :) cause i just bought a BA XR6 :)

Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:08 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: AU I forte

WA, Australia

I wish i got a dollar every time i ran to nothing, i'd have like three dollars! i have had to replace the dizzy but as irony would have it my ignition module blew up when i had a full tank!!! i rekon its either a wasted pump or the filters clogged up. The older cars are meant to have at least a quarter of a tank like all the time. However, on the very rare occasion do i run with anything more than a quarter. Oh yeah could just be you where on a hill or something and the fuel was on the other side of the tank, primeing the fuel system is a good way to go too, yeah when you turn the ignition to "on" you'll hear this like hum comming from the back of the car you'll notice when its low fuel it don't sound too healthy, yeah simply turning to on leaving it a couple of seconds then turning it off again then repeating should help out. i can't see how low fuel could mess up the TFI unit on the dizzy, but those modules are as pickky as f**k so maybe

PH 4480 racing extractors
lukey 2.5" sports exhaust
Chopper 19"x245 mags
pioneer deck, 6"x1.5" Splits (F) and 6" 3-way speakers (R)
Precision response 4x 100w amp and 1000w mono 10" sub
Got so much more to go!
tint, breaks and spoiler next!

Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EF f a i r m o n t

Power: 315 rwkw

WA, Australia

Thanks guys for the replies.

I can hear the pump turn on when turning it to on. i did this several times and then tried to start the car and still nothing. The car turns over but just doesnt want to start.

Can anyone tell me where abouts the filters are placed so i can check if its full of sh*t like someone said.

Oh and for someone that has had to replace there pump how much did it cost to do?

cheers

1995 EF Fairmont with all the Gear.

Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:22 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Falcon EL

NSW, Australia

The fuel filter is located under the rear left hand pass floorpan behind the sill.
It will be a medal looking cylinder inline of the fuel line,cant remember what spanner size,around 10 or 12mm I think. Have a container and rag ready when you undo the line,fuel will piss every where...lol
Fuel pump is in the fuel tank,no idea on cost of replacing never had trouble with mine.

Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:44 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII V8 Fairmont Ghia

WA, Australia

have you tryed putting more than 5 litres in it yet?

it may be possible that the pump cant suck up the petrol in the tank cause the level is to low...

did it run rough before it died? or did it just kinda splutter and die quick? if it happened quickly im guessing it would be it couldnt get any fuel, if it was spluttering, perhaps the clogged filter idea..

2007 Steel BF Ghia MKII V8 - 19" GTP's + Superlows

Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:19 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: 1984 FD LTD

QLD, Australia

this prolly wont be ne help to your problem, but still

was in a VR commo down south once, and they ran outa fuel. went to the servo and filled a 5L Jerry up and then chucked it in the car and it started first time

when it died, it spluttered and choked and jst ran realyl bad..

as i sed, it isnt gunan help your prob.. but its jst another point of view i guess

Member Of "Team LWB"
FD: My Current Project

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/ ... age029.jpg

ZL: A Work In Progress - that went to the tip!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/ ... maller.jpg

Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:53 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

There are at least two fule filters on your car. One is attached to the fuel pump in the tank, the other is inline - probably under the car.

When I read your post my first thought was that you've rooted the fuel pump - that's what happened to my work ED wagon. HP pumps can suck in a little grit and have very close tolerances and seize up. After they replaced the pump on the ED I got the old pump - shook it out and it still works - it's now my emergency spare.

It's possible but unlikely that youve blocked the inline filter - if that happened you've almost certainly trashed the fuel pump too.

You say the fuel pump is working - how did you check that? You can usually tell by the whirring noise, but if the in-tank filter is blocked than the pump may work but is not able to get any fuel.

Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:35 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EF Futura

QLD, Australia

usually when they run out of fuel the fuel pump cops a gut full of s**t and therefore most times fails to operate

Jesus Loves You. But I Think Your A C***!

Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:03 pm 
Tyre Shredder

WA, Australia

I'd say the fuel pumps ok, does it sound healthy or unhealthy when you turn to "on"? take a spark plug out and rest it against something metallic like your exhaust shroud, then get some one to turn the engine over (at night would be best) look for a spark, i rekon no spark is the problem, could be a few things i got a bad feeling its the ignition module on your dizzy, which is a pain to replace and is fairly expensive. If theres no spark check all your HT leads, your rotar, contacts in the dizzy and your ignition coil, if all of these check out ok, your phucked lol. If you can track down just the modual its not so bad but if you can't then thats a whole new dizzy assembely, not cheep and a s**t to install. check the spark first, i'm sure you could have a filter clogged right up and still get it to start, even if its a bit lean.

Chopper 19"x245 mags
Got so much more to go!

Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:05 pm 
Tyre Shredder

WA, Australia

By the way, when checking for a spark, make sure you keep the plug connected to the ht lead lol

Chopper 19"x245 mags
Got so much more to go!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next