Fordmods Logo

replacing the dissy in eb 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: replacing the dissy in eb
Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:52 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 7 images

VIC, Australia

hey guys i was wondering when i replace the dissy in my eb do i have to rest the ecu or any thing else??? after i replaced the dissy i tried to do the timing with ignition light but the mark on the crankshaft pulley way out, so i used the old school way by driving around and turning the dissy?????

Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: AU2 XR8 ute & 91 EA bitsa

VIC, Australia

If you're replacing the distributor with the same type, you shouldn't need to reset the ECU.

As for the timing mark being out, it sounds like it hasn't been installed properly. Rotate the crank to get the No.1 piston to TDC, then check if the distributor rotor is pointing to No.1 lead on the dizzy cap.

AU2 XR8 with Raptor VL, ported Yella Terra GT40P heads, Scorpion 1.6 RRs, XE264HR-14 Comp Cam, ceramic coated Hurricane Headers, 60lb injectors, Walbro 255, 200cfi cats, 3" exhaust & Snow Performance water methanol injection

Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:06 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

when i said it's out i ment out by 45deg but when i set the mark on tdc the engine gutless... ?
thanks for the replay though

Posted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:15 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I read in some other posts that a worn crankshaft pulley can cause the timing mark to be out. If it's OK, you may need to rotate the pulley to TDC (with No. 1 piston on compression stroke) when the dizzy is out and then reinstall it. Could the pulley have moved when the dizzy was out? (eg. car in gear and handbrake off)? Have you got a repair manual to refer to?

Also, did you earth out the self diagnosis input connector prior to checking the timing? You have 2 minutes to adjust the timing.

AU2 XR8 with Raptor VL, ported Yella Terra GT40P heads, Scorpion 1.6 RRs, XE264HR-14 Comp Cam, ceramic coated Hurricane Headers, 60lb injectors, Walbro 255, 200cfi cats, 3" exhaust & Snow Performance water methanol injection

Posted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:43 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

what earth ??? no i didn't can you let me know how to do that please and where its located thatks for your help mate................

Posted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:37 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

when you pull the dissy out of any ea-eb up falcon you need to do it on number one cyl make sure the rotor button is lined up with finish mark inside dissy when it is right in flush with block then nip up dist bolt.
When that is done it will give you base timming so you can start and run the motor. then run engine to operating temp (better).
Turn of engine, bridge ECU terminals near brake booster to set ign timming correctly.Start engine let run for about 40 sec untill engine idle speed settles car is now in base mode this is the correct time to check and set your ign timming by moving the dissy untill balancer mark lines up with ign mark on timming cover using a timming light.after finnished take bridge wire from ECU terminals.

V8 ford grunt the only way to go

Posted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:05 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

i had look around the booster there's no plug, and i looked under the fuse box there's diagnosis plug ???????????? help please......... thanks guys

Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:30 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

topeb wrote:
i had look around the booster there's no plug, and i looked under the fuse box there's diagnosis plug ???????????? help please......... thanks guys

Here's a photo of what your looking for. The socket your is circled in yellow. Earth this when do the timing as detailed above. If you've got an EB2, I'm not sure if these plugs are still used.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]