Fordmods Logo

Running out of fuel before tank is empty!!!??? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Running out of fuel before tank is empty!!!???
Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:03 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EF Fairmont

VIC, Australia

As stated my tank has run out of fuel 3 times, but is showing on cluster that I have fuel between orange and 1/4 (no low fuel aswell on light) and also is showing that I still have approx 100k's to go on my trip comp. This is a car I just bought (EF Fairmont) and not sure where to go from here as I have never had this problem with previos EF's that I have owned...

Thanks guys :wink:

Love getting ripped off by fellow Ford Modders... 4 to date so far since 2005!!!!
Please do it more!!!!

Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA MK11

VIC, Australia

Fill it up more often.I have a EB that is very simple,and has nothing other than a fuel guage.I always fill up on the cheapest day.

The older I get the better I was!

Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EAII Falcon S

QLD, Australia

it could be the in-tank pump, check that the hose to the pickup filter is still attached to the bottom of the pump. if everything elese is ok it would explain why it stops pumping at 1/4 tank.

Speed Safely! ;-)

Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:34 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

kwaussiekid wrote:
Fill it up more often.I have a EB that is very simple,and has nothing other than a fuel guage.I always fill up on the cheapest day.

That doesnt even make sense!!!! real answers like Redfords is much more apprieciated, I'm looking to repair the problem not mask it with tape

Love getting ripped off by fellow Ford Modders... 4 to date so far since 2005!!!!
Please do it more!!!!

Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:13 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Could the floating petrol level sensor arm in the tank be jammed after it hits 1/4 of petrol?

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:17 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

phongus wrote:
Could the floating petrol level sensor arm in the tank be jammed after it hits 1/4 of petrol?

phong =P~

Yeah certanly sounds like it phongus... Had a talk to krytox and he just suggests that I replace the whole float or fuel pump part

Please do it more!!!!

Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 16 images

Ride: F350

QLD, Australia

Mate, its impossible to run out of fuel before the tank is empty, so replace the sender and fill up more often, job done.

Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EAII Falcon S

QLD, Australia

well i could also be wrong, but from what you said about the trip computer it sugests that it could be the problem.

if you do take it apart and find that the pickup hose is still attached and it has a good seal then check for a float restriction or like phongus
said replace the fuel guage sender unit.

Speed Safely! ;-)

Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:35 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

ELGT wrote:
Mate, its impossible to run out of fuel before the tank is empty, so replace the sender and fill up more often, job done.

Why are people saying fill up more often I'm not a fool!!!! I DO now!!!! its not showing the right amount of fuel on the cluster and trip computer and is running out due to not showing empty, this is a new car and have now realised and stopped it from running out....As phongus and Redford I will replace the petrol level sensor

Please do it more!!!!

Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 16 images

Ride: F350

QLD, Australia

dazzat wrote:
ELGT wrote:

Why are people saying fill up more often I'm not a fool!!!! I DO now!!!! its not showing the right amount of fuel on the cluster and trip computer and is running out due to not showing empty, this is a new car and have now realised and stopped it from running out....As phongus and Redford I will replace the petrol level sensor

Why, because if it happened once, the magic genie is not going to come and fix your car overnight, and it will happen again.
Its not rocket science, just a waste of bandwidth if you ask me posting such useless crap.
"I tripped over, gee, I should have done up my shoelace"

Mate, basic stuff, I am not having a go at you rather than just showing how much of the posts here are becoming just bloody pointless.

Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:56 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Even if the trip computer says you have 100km left, it is relying its calculations on the fuel level sender, if the fuel level sender is screwed, the fuel gauge and trip computer will read wrong.

Even though people have been posting up useless stuff...this isn't as useless as most of the stuff out there.

Lets just hope noone else out there will ask the same question.

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:02 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

ELGT I understand... but I never post usless c.rap nor use up my bandwith (all of 8kb per post LOL), this is why these forums are here, and are here to ask these questions again and again to get the right answer... I have answered questions again and again regardless if they are blind, new or cant quite get the hang of it....
This is a just bought car and stated in the very first post have never had this problem before thus is why I ask question, the first time seemed a bit odd and thought nothing of it (maybe fuel needle on cluster stuck), second time it happened again so pulled the cluster apart (not to knock the needle out of whack but move it... seemed fine) third time (to test if does it again) must be something else... so ask the question here without getting flamed for it... :wink:

Please do it more!!!!

Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:40 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

I thought it was actually a good question - simply putting fuel in the tank all the time is a bandaid fix - the low fuel light and having a trip computer have a purpose - if you have to rely on that last 10 litres of fuel or so, you want your instruments to be accurate.
Put your cluster in diagnostic mode, http://www.fordmods.com/forums/documents.php?doc=12 this will tell you sender resistance and how much fuel is in the tank. Low level light will come on when the sender resistance is below 28 ohms. Since you mention the low level light doesn't come on, the sender isn't measuring below this.
As the others have suggested, replace the sender card and the float arm (pretty easy - get Andrew to help you).

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:53 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Thanks heaps snap0964
Yeah I talked to andrew on the phone earlier about this.
I just hate it when I get flamed for a perplexing problem I'm having...

Please do it more!!!!

Last edited by dazzat on Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

he told you what to do though! its not like his post isnt helping you and just adding onto it! F**k!
so you replaced it yet? also fuel and dte would both get there info from the same source pretty much :P fuel sender - cluster - trip computer...

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next