Fordmods Logo

SCT Xcalibrator2 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: SCT Xcalibrator2
Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:07 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: AU2 XR8

NT, Australia

me being in the states at present, would it be worth me buying SCT Xcalibrator2 for AU XR8?

is the unit the same in the US as with AUS.

they are about $US379 as opposed to about $AS1300 rom CAPA.

cheers

i wish to be a ring on a maidens hand so when she wipe herself i see the promised land.

Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XR8, SX Ghia, WQ XR4

NSW, Australia

The answer is yes and no.

The units are actually available at that price from eBay in the US: (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SCT-XCAL ... enameZWD2V)

Those units will come with no programs at all. So you'll find that you'll have to pay someone to custom tune all 3 tunes, unless you can buy the programs from CAPA for - oh let's say the difference in price between the base unit and the CAPA unit.

So the answer is, if you have access to a cheap Dyno back here, or you know how to transfer programs from unit to unit (The SVT website has pages for people swapping tunes, so it's not totally silly to say so) then yes, buy one and bring it back. If you're going to get custom tunes anyway, then my vote is yes. DISCLAIMER: I haven't done this myself, even though I plan to around July, so I am by no means an expert.

However, if you want to use the pre-programmed tunes, then no, don't do it. Buy a CAPA unit.

Mind you, you could also chose to not get one now, do more research with tuners here, and still have access to that price off eBay - which may prove to be more prudent in the long run.

Just make sure you keep us (aka ME) up to date on what you do!

Lukeyson

Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:35 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NT, Australia

thanks matey,

i plan to get it custom tuned. i already have the CAPA SCT1 (u know the blue box), so is there any benefit of the SCT2 ?

apparently you can 'take home' the tune and make changes on laptop with relevant program. but i'm thinking, u can;t do anything about the changes, u can only have visibility. or if you can make changes, you wouldn't want to without dyno, etc. and who has a dyno at home...not me

am i trackin'

cheers

i wish to be a ring on a maidens hand so when she wipe herself i see the promised land.

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

The XCal2 does not give you the ability to tune from a laptop.

It does let you datalog, which may or may not be of value to you.

XCal1's from the stated DO NOT work on our Australian Falcons. It is not just a matter of getting the right program either....the hardware is different.

I would expect the XCal2 is the same, and personally I would not take the risk that it might.

Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:54 am 
Stock as a Rock

NT, Australia

thanks mate

but what about this from CAPA?

http://www.capa.com.au/ford_flash_tuner_xcal2.pdf

its states it supports AU 5.0L.

Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:56 am 
Stock as a Rock

NT, Australia

...also what i meant by SCT1 is the ford flasher unit that we all know. didn't SCT develop these aswell?

cheers

Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

The boxes look identical to their US versions, but apparantly the US XCAL boxes do not work on Australian Falcons (and vice versa).

It sounds like they (they = CAPA) did this to protect their investment i.e. so people couldn't buy second hand units cheaply from the States.

I expect this would be the same for both version 1 and version 2.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]