Page 1 of 4 [ 51 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: Shell Optimax Extreme!
Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: Mondeo XR5T

Power: 173 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Probably time for another debate on fuel, seeing as Shell has just released a new brand into the market.

Today I filled up with the new "Shell Optimax Extreme". I must say that I did notice a difference with performance.

For those who don't know, Optimax Extreme is a 100 Octane fuel.

Here is Shell's speel:

* The only 100 octane fuel currently available at any Australian service station.
* Shell's first 100 octane performance fuel in the world, formulated with the natural octane boosting quality of ethanol (5%).
* Designed to allow many modern and high performance cars to perform at their peak.
* Shell Optimax Extreme is designed to achieve better engine responsiveness, sharper acceleration and enhanced power in many modern and high performance vehicles.

See these links:

http://www.shell.com/home/Framework?siteId=au-en&FC2=/au-en/html/iwgen/zzz_lhn.html&FC3=/au-en/tailored/shell_for_motorists/fuels/extreme/who_use_extreme.html

http://www.fcai.com.au/ethanol.php/2004/11/00000001.html

Give it a go. I noticed a difference.

Shugg

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

[self-deleted]

Last edited by blackjack_original on Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Although I have noticed some improvement with acceleration, I reckon they are going the wrong way about marketing this stuff. Your right about the fact that they have only added 5% ethanol and called it "EXTREME". Plus it's just another way to hurt the pocket.

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

So how much did it cost per litre?

5.6L of carbon footprint.

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:10 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EF Fairmont

WA, Australia

when will it be avail in perth!!!
we gotta settle for standard premium atm thanks to bp running out of ultimate

EF XR8 - 5speed, Extractors & Exhaust

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Today it cost 1.36 per litre. ULP was around the 1.21 per litre. Which would make the Optimax about 1.31 per litre. So it looks like it's gonna be about 5c per litre more expensive than Optimax.

These are the Sydney prices at the moment.

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:41 pm 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

I guess they'd be mostly targeting all the grey-import turbo guys, who have to run ridiculous amounts of octane boost, or get a chip to cut back there timing.
When do we get 104octane?

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Don't the V8 Supercar guys use 100 octane?

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Vic wrote:
Don't the V8 Supercar guys use 100 octane?

Article:

d**k Johnson Tests Shell Optimax Extreme

Australian motorsport icon, d**k Johnson, has run preliminary tests on Australia’s super premium fuel, Shell Optimax Extreme.

With his Ford Falcon BA race engine on the dyno at his DJR Queensland headquarters, d**k completed some brief tests using the current V8 Supercar Series official fuel, Shell Optimax as compared with new Shell Optimax Extreme.

“Our tests were conducted with limited tuning done to the engine to allow for the higher octane,â€￾ d**k Johnson said. “But even with straight comparisons between the fuels, we noticed significant improvements in performance with Shell Optimax Extreme.

“There was plainly a smoother, more consistent delivery of power and torque in the rpm range most road cars would normally use.

“We also found that when taking up to 8% of the fuel out of the engine, and adjusting the timing to suit, it actually delivered better power, which to me, demonstrates Shell Optimax Extreme will deliver better fuel economy.

“Most significantly however was the fact that Shell Optimax Extreme proved a much cleaner burning fuel,â€￾ said d**k.

“The 100 octane in Shell Optimax Extreme will particularly benefit high performance engines, especially high compression or highly turbocharged engines, enabling them to perform at their peak.â€￾

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

... says the Shell sponsored man. While I won't just assume that he's bought and paid for by Shell and that his comments are done with good intentions, I know we won't be seeing him ever put Shell fuels down while they're supporting him.

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:53 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 2 images

VIC, Australia

isn't extream just pulp with 5% ethanol at a higher price than pulp ?

it wasn't long ago we heard pollies talk about ethanol reducing the cost of petrol !
sounds like we were hearing qorkie pies then, and probably hearing porkie pies now.

fyi, 100+ avgas was sold by mobil some years ago, to dump a bad batch of plane fuel to the unsuspecting public.
It was high octain but stuffed up many a car (and mobil fixed the rich boys toys).

as mulder said, the truth is out there :)

cheers, itchione

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

ItchiOne wrote:

it wasn't long ago we heard pollies talk about ethanol reducing the cost of petrol !
sounds like we were hearing qorkie pies then, and probably hearing porkie pies now.

fyi, 100+ avgas was sold by mobil some years ago, to dump a bad batch of plane fuel to the unsuspecting public.
It was high octain but stuffed up many a car (and mobil fixed the rich boys toys).

cheers, itchione

Make that 100/130 avgas and no, it wasn't sold to the public as straight AVGAS. If it did mke it to petrol pumps, it was maxed with the fuel. Some lucky members in the public got their hands on straight AVGAS but many of them then promptly get their fuel systems cleaned.

ANYONE can get 100/130 AVGAS for your car anyway. People have been doing it for years. I've run 100/130 AVGAS in my cars before.

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

Dang, we don't even get any 98 RON down hre - best we get is Vortex 96!

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

[self-deleted]

Last edited by blackjack_original on Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:50 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Falcon XR6

VIC, Australia

unclewoja wrote:
ItchiOne wrote:

cheers, itchione

Make that 100/130 avgas and no, it wasn't sold to the public as straight AVGAS. If it did mke it to petrol pumps, it was maxed with the fuel. Some lucky members in the public got their hands on straight AVGAS but many of them then promptly get their fuel systems cleaned.

ANYONE can get 100/130 AVGAS for your car anyway. People have been doing it for years. I've run 100/130 AVGAS in my cars before.

I would imagine if any oil company sold AVGAS to the public they would be exposing themselves to procecution as it is a leaded fuel and illegal for road use.

It's not as easy to get AVGAS nowadays .... used to be you just rocked up to your local airfield and fill up your jerry cans.
Now you need to sign a Stat Dec saying the AVGAS you purchase will not be used on the road! :cry:

Gotta say ... nothing beats the smell of burnt AVGAS though .... :lol:

95 EF XR6 Manual
Pioneer, Oz Audio, Butler, Image Dynamics, Audison
MEASQ - Aust Champion Intermediate Class 2006
MEASQ - Vic Champion Intermediate Class 2007
MEASQ - Aust Champion Intermediate Class 2007
MEASQ - Aust Champion Expert Class 2008
MEASQ - Aust Champion Advanced Class 2011 (Shared)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 4  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next