Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Speed Limiter
Posted: Wed May 18, 2005 3:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Mini Cooper S Supercharged

NSW, Australia

Hi All

The Other day my car topped out at 180. The speed limiter kicked in and its giving me the S***s. Any easy ways of getting rid of it??

Thanks Dudes

Wade

Posted: Wed May 18, 2005 3:45 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: '95 EF's

WA, Australia

an ex-chaser ECU is about the easiest way. why you'd want to go past 180 an hour confuses me :?

R.I.P. Scotty

Posted: Wed May 18, 2005 3:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Mainly to stick it up Common doors that seem to think that they are better than me When we all know that there not!! :D I was leaning towards a chaser ECU but if it was only going to take a snip of a wire or somthing, I wasnt going to bother.

Thanks for ya help!

Posted: Wed May 18, 2005 4:02 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 1996 EF Fairmont Ghia

VIC, Australia

do the series two ef ghias have speed limiters?

1996 EF Fairmont Ghia
- 2.5'' mandrel bent exhaust
- Au xr8 air intake snorkel
- Tinted windows
- Two way electric sunroof

Posted: Wed May 18, 2005 4:12 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Don't think about how fast you can go.......think about how fast you can stop. Try investing you money in some kind of upgrade of your brakes. One day these may save your life, your option will not. Just a thought. Each to their own I guess.

Posted: Wed May 18, 2005 4:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: EL Falcon GLI

VIC, Australia

errr who wants to go faster than 180!!!??? espcially on the streets? maybe try increasing your accelleration, not your top speed? be a bit safer, and then you can still look good :) i mean, cmon first car to 80kmph surely thats good enough to prove a point? at the end of the day, a few seconds of glory isnt worth loosing your life over

Buy my car :) cause i just bought a BA XR6 :)

Posted: Wed May 18, 2005 4:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

cds70 wrote:
Don't think about how fast you can go.......think about how fast you can stop. Try investing you money in some kind of upgrade of your brakes. One day these may save your life, your option will not. Just a thought. Each to their own I guess.

Stoppers have been upgraded. 300's on the front with slotted rotors, Bendex pads and cooling ducts. As for exceeding 180, I used to own an Excel that could clock 200. It took forever to get there but got there. But, when it comes to upsizing all of my power (Super Charger, Cams, Exhaust etc) and heading down the strip or even attending track days, The last thing I want is to be overtaken coz I topped out at 180 when I could have been going faster. And I never said that I did it on the streets, Mainly coz I never would. I dosent take alot for some one else to pull out in front of you and then before you know it, you have destroyed someones life, and someones family. I only speed under controlled conditions! If there is such a thing!!

Posted: Wed May 18, 2005 5:05 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

So I'm assuming that you only do these speeds (180) on a circuit/strip, and not on the gneneral roads?

Posted: Wed May 18, 2005 5:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF Gli Ghia, XP Fairmont

WA, Australia

cds70 wrote:
So I'm assuming that you only do these speeds (180) on a circuit/strip, and not on the gneneral roads?

hahahahahahahahahahaha....

Owning 1 of 67612 EF GLi Sedans made
FACT: "Chuck Norris owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker despite him holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno."

Posted: Wed May 18, 2005 5:58 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: Ford Ef Futura

WA, Australia

Yeah he would never speed on the road!

Posted: Wed May 18, 2005 9:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 16 images

Ride: F350

QLD, Australia

If its a manual, just disconnect the speedo drive, and auto's, change the speedo gear, its that simple if you want to do a speed run, but do not recommend it, just plain old bloody stupid. Falcons are not very good at stopping at 100 let alone higher.
I would love to know how you got 300 mm rotors on the front of an EF. The spindles only permit a stock rotor, and if you were using GT spindles, why would you only run a Tea Cup Saucer size rotor......

Sounds like some stories to me.
If you wanna go that fast, either get into motorsport, or get a pilots licence....

Posted: Wed May 18, 2005 11:48 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: BA

NSW, Australia

ill get the pilots licence.. more better, but motorsports is good too

"Chuck Norris does not sleep. He waits."
"Chuck Norris is so fast, he can run around the world and punch himself in the back of the head."
"Chuck Norris ordered a Big Mac at Burger King, and got one."

Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 3:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

If I had know that this topic was going to cause such a debate, I would never had posted it. As for the "tea cup suacer" sized rotors, I did have the option of supersizing them, but the guys that did them said that I would need bigger wheels, thus leading to bigger tyres, thus leading to bigger bucks not only then, But later on down the track when it came to getting new tyres. And whats the point of putting cheapo tyres on if there not going to last, and are hopless in the wet and when It comes to stopping. Whats the point of having massive brakes that arent going to work because your tyres cant hack it. So there was the option, 300s With the original XR6 mags and some decent Yokohama A532 tyres. As for the speed. My insurance is high enough as it is without getting speeding fines to make it even higher. The speeds were reached on a private road, out towards the back of my place. As I am a country bumpkin, alot of farmers dont really care how you use the private roads that pass through there property. As hard as it is to believe, I dont speed on the streets. I get upto speed fast but dont exceed it.

Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 3:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

Yeah as noted, speedo gear will overcome the limiter but you'll have an inaccurate speedo. Ex chaser ECU has no limiter IIRC

Big brakes a good idea. Also, consider the reason the limiter was put on.... its not to stop you speeding, if they wanted that they would have limited it at 110. The reason is that the tailshaft is not good above these speeds... if it breaks you will be passenger to a 200km/hr, 1800kg pole vault. So you might want to consider an upgraded tailshaft - or at the very least a tailshaft loop. Even with the loop, i think you'd be f**k if it let go at 200km/hr....

But yeah - ex chaser ECU would be the go IMO. Usually one on ebay...

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 3:36 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Perhaps people have assumed a number of things from you original post, and all be it brief, and you really can't blame them.

But you have to agree, when someone simply says they want to go faster than 180kph, then you can safely draw a number of conclusions, which you have confirmed in you lastest post.

That is;
Farmers DO mind if you use their roads at 180+kph. I would suggest to you that they don't know you are doing these speeds???? They also do not want their roads damaged by this type of driving, nor do they want the dust that comes from it........because if you live in the country these roads would not be sealed???

Also consider that if you are doing these speeds, as is you mate, either behind, infront, or to the side of you, then what about the other people who are also using these roads. Are they expecting you to arrive at 180+???

What about the other young guy/s doing exactly the same thing as you, but in the opposite direction???? BANG! OUCH! Don't worry you won't feel a thing, it will be all over before you know it.

These types of speed are only suitable in a controlled environment circuit/strip. Country roads, whether private or not, are not controlled as you have suggested in an earlier post.

In NSW the law considers private roads in very much the same manner as public roads, and you will be held accountable for your actions. At the end of the day you have to live with the actions of your driving, as will many other people who may be involved.

Yes I have gone overboard, but I have seen far too many young people of your age using their mates, or themselves for that matter, as sun sades across the front windscreens of their cars.

You need to think long and hard about what you are suggesting.

As for the technical specs, I'll leave that for someone else to take up , as I've taken too much time now.

Take it on-board, and not personally. We all want to be hear for a long time.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next