Fordmods Logo

Stinger EMS 

Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:42 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Nigel wrote:
So question is : Cant you just use the TFI as the ignitor? - if your runing EA/B/D/L gear anyway?

The TFI does what a seperate ignitor does in other cars.

Nigel

I thought so to but apparently not with the EMS. Why I do not know at the moment, I was told that I needed to use a seperate ignitor by a tuner. EMS are on Xmas holidays so I will be asking them the question as soon as they return.

The engine is running nicely using the ignitor

Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:23 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

lil_macak wrote:
Nigel wrote:
So question is : Cant you just use the TFI as the ignitor? - if your runing EA/B/D/L gear anyway?

The TFI does what a seperate ignitor does in other cars.

Nigel

I thought so to but apparently not with the EMS. Why I do not know at the moment, I was told that I needed to use a seperate ignitor by a tuner. EMS are on Xmas holidays so I will be asking them the question as soon as they return.

The engine is running nicely using the ignitor

I have done some more research as to why we use a seperate ignitor instead of the TFI Module.

Apparently the TFI modules have their own dwell time. With the EMS we can control and alter this dwell time. I'm still picking the tuners brains trying to find out what benefit controlling this dwell time could have.

Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

Well!. Your right - I forgot abot that. BPT do have a hotter TFI Module anyway - might negate that benefit and keep the factory look too.

Something to watch for there might be that the TFI Module may be trying to provide a spark driver anyway - it does that automatically when the EEC doesnt provide a spark timing signal.

Dont suppose It will hurt tho

Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:47 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

You maybe right about the TFI trying to provide spark as well.

That might be a problem. To try and bypass this I have cut the negative wire before the coil and connected the output wire from the ignitor. The spark output to the coil comes from the EMS. The TFI might be trying to trigger coil but there should'nt be any signal from TFI to coil.

Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

Should be all you needed to do. I dont think the TFI has enough diagnostics to realise that it isnt connected.

Cheers

Nigel

Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:32 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Ok found out more info as to why we don't need to use the TFI module. Apparently the TFI module would be fine as if our engine was'nt turbo charged the TFI module can only vary spark according to rpm and is designed to do so around normal cylinder pressures.

But mine is turbocharged. Once you turbo an engine you increase cylinder pressure therefore you need to be able to give it more spark. By altering the coil dwell time with the EMS you can increase the coil charge time thus throwing a stronger spark.

Hope that makes sense

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: BA XR8

NSW, Australia

Hey,

I have been umming and ahhing over which aftermarket ECU to use, and after speaking to the the guy in the know at Hills Motorsport, i will be getting a Stinger to run my EL 4.0L in my Maverick 4WD. Rigoli Racing also do EMS installs and tuning. Thanks for the wiring connections.

Cheers

8-) Daz 8-)

BA XR8 Boss 260
DAZFAB......Now Mobile
Mink = GAY
DAZFAB MEMBERS ,,,,DA22LE, XTT909, TERRORISTGHIA, TROYMAN, SWC, FAT245

Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:42 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: AIT Turbo EA S

QLD, Australia

lil_macak, I am just about to install an EMS Stinger into my turbo EA, I sat down and worked out the wiring for it the other day. Then I came across your post on page one of this thread and found your wiring was pretty much a perfect match except for which AUX outputs do what.

I too have 42lb injectors and am running about 6 to 7 psi so I would really like you to send me the tune that you have come up with so far. I will be getting mine tuned of course but your file would be a massive help and will almost guarantee it will idle straight up. But mainly I want to open the file and see how you have setup the ISC.

If you are cool with this PM me and I will reply with my e-mail address to send me the tune file.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2