Fordmods Logo

Straight L.P.G. on EF I6? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Straight L.P.G. on EF I6?
Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

I've been looking at a Gas Research Australia underbonnet kit/system for my EF 4.0L I6 Falcon. Just got off the phone with them and they only off Duel Fuel system for them ($1,300.00 + GST - from what I've read previously, it seems they've put there prices up!).
Anyone know why they don't do straight l.P.G.? Or who else does good kits for straight L.P.G.? Or can the GRA one be made to run straight L.P.G.?

Last edited by twr7cx on Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:55 pm 
Site Admin

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Duel Fuel is the same as straight gas as long as you dont switch the switch to 'Fuel' :)

If you really want to ensure its 'straight gas' then you buy the injector plugs from GRA, remove the tank, pump and lines and hardwire (remove!) the Duel Fuel switch :)

AFAIK GRA only ever did straight GAS with their GRA 'Gold' TB.

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Thanks waggin, so I can get the duel fuel and make it straight.
How hard will it be to remove the petrol system? wouldn't be that hard aye. Things are always harder to put back than they were to remove! :shock:

Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

waggin, something I just thought of - what about starting the car? the system i've got starts on petrol (even if the switch is on L.P.G., it will still petrol start, and automaticcally switch itself back over after a second or three).
Now if the GRA system is made for duel fuel, wouldn't it be doing the same thing? and so the petrol system couldn't be removed?

Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

[self-deleted]

Last edited by blackjack_original on Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: 2007

NSW, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
How hard will it be to remove the petrol system? wouldn't be that hard aye. Things are always harder to put back than they were to remove! :shock:

I had dedicated LPG on my old EF fairmont V8 with a GRA carb and it started perfect every time. Personally I would perfer the piece of mind in having the Petrol as the stand by when travelling bush. Unless there is a reason to remove it why not leave it in there?
Cheers TW.

BF Fairmont Ghia Series II update.
GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___
|_/--\'_|'__|_/--\_[]IIII[]
_( o ) )_____( o ) )=o=) )__

Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

twason wrote:
twr7cx wrote:

I had dedicated LPG on my old EF fairmont V8 with a GRA carb and it started perfect every time. Personally I would perfer the piece of mind in having the Petrol as the stand by when travelling bush. Unless there is a reason to remove it why not leave it in there?
Cheers TW.

Reason is my fuel pump is bgugered and injectors are dirty. Why spend money fixing these so I can run petrol when I never really use it? It's just more weight in an already far too heavy vehicle.
My current LpG system is dodgy and tired.
So I figure go straight LPG. Most small towns around Tassie sell LPG and besides that one tank is enough to drive from one corner of tassie to the other! So there is no peace of mind need for petrol that I can see.
Wityh straight gas I'll be able to set the car up properly to run on one fuel, like blackjack said.

Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

blackjack_original wrote:
For you it would be mega easy to go to straight gas man. You already pretty much have everything. You just need to rip out the fuel system

As I said above though, my current system starts on petrol, no matter what, if it's on LPG it'll still automatically switch back to petrol and start and then automaticcal switch to LPG, if I removed my petrol system now I wouldn't be able to start the car - I'd need to do some sort of mod to the controller unit I guess.
What I'm needing to know is with the GRA system, how do they start? On petrol like mine or can they do proper gas starts?

Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: Oettinger Golf GTI

NSW, Australia

tw, im on straight gas and have been for a long time.

you can go impco or vialle (better but more expensive but same as used on tickford lpg systems) and it'll be much better in the long run..

yesterday i got 114.8 i think rwkw on the dyno, and shes not running crash hot right now either!

Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:38 pm 
Site Admin

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

NSW, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
blackjack_original wrote:
For you it would be mega easy to go to straight gas man. You already pretty much have everything. You just need to rip out the fuel system

As I said above though, my current system starts on petrol, no matter what, if it's on LPG it'll still automatically switch back to petrol and start and then automaticcal switch to LPG, if I removed my petrol system now I wouldn't be able to start the car - I'd need to do some sort of mod to the controller unit I guess.
What I'm needing to know is with the GRA system, how do they start? On petrol like mine or can they do proper gas starts?

I'm sure they can start on LPG. John does, and mine was going to.

All my previous LPG systems started on gas too

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
twason wrote:
twr7cx wrote:

Cheers TW.

Reason is my fuel pump is bgugered and injectors are dirty. Why spend money fixing these so I can run petrol when I never really use it? It's just more weight in an already far too heavy vehicle.
My current LpG system is dodgy and tired.
So I figure go straight LPG. Most small towns around Tassie sell LPG and besides that one tank is enough to drive from one corner of tassie to the other! So there is no peace of mind need for petrol that I can see.
Wityh straight gas I'll be able to set the car up properly to run on one fuel, like blackjack said.

Fair enough, BTW is yours factory or aftermarket gas?

GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___

Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

twr7cx wrote:

To get the most from LPG you need to adjust base timing and the timing curve as well, something that is not easily done on an EF, also LPG likes more compression. The latter can't be done without causing problems on Petrol (not a problem in your case) the former is already done if you have the factory Tickford LPG system.
Cheers
TW.

GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___

Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:48 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
My old HJ Holden ute had a gas primer, which was basically an on/off switch which controlled a soleniod mounted on the converter - the soleniod plunger would push the converter diaphragm, and allow a charge of LPG into the system - only needed for cold starts, couldn't be easier. An EB on Friday I saw had a primer s/w, didn't see how the engine side looked, but probably similar to my old ute.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

So Impco, Vialla or GRA? From what previously has been said, I thought GRA were the ducks nuts? Well sounds like it should be too hard then, although the kit is a bit more exxy than I expected ($1430), might be able to get it cheaper through work... Gunna go in and see them tomrrow.

How do you up compression on cars?

Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: XHII pano, Landau

VIC, Australia

I have duel, and when i turn my key when its on gas you can here the tank switch and it primes automatically. Kinda like the fuel pump does when its on petrol. A mate of mine has a 355 in his VK on a gra straight gas setup and that has a switch to prime it.

Automatics only come in assult riffles
---------------------------------------
www.aussiecoupes.net

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next