Tickford ECU Vs J3- best bang for buck 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: Tickford ECU Vs J3- best bang for buck
Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Ef Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Currently my Ef Fairmont i6 has plenty of power for my taste after the tickford head was installed..... but I know it wont last.
I am tossing up what would be a better option, a J3 or a Tickford ECU. J3 will cost around $300+ compared to a tickford ECU costing around $100.
I also read on here a while ago about j3's coming loose and being a pain in the a**. Now the idea of being able to dyno the car for maximum efficiency/ power ratio on a j3 sounds excellent, but if its going to cause more drama than its worth I at least know a Tickford ECU will be a reliable fool proof option. Your advise would be appreciated.
Current setup:
Au injectors, extractors ( lukey), cat back ( lukey) off stock cat, big mouth, tickford head and cam, stock fuel reg ( will be putting on a tickford one if I use a tickford ecu), auto with single spinner diff and a stock wagon ecu.

Also, I read on here a stock fuel reg is rated at 270 and a Tickford is around 300, if I go a J3 wouldn't it make the most out of the stock reg or would it be better to go a tickford reg? I understand more fuel means more power, but sometimes using the fuel you already have in a more efficient way can do the same thing from my experience with other (non Ford) cars I have owned. I want power, but not to go from one fuel shop to another as its still a family car and a daily.
Raven

Post subject: Re: Tickford ECU Vs J3- best bang for buck
Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: ef falcon futura

Power: 154 rwkw

VIC, Australia

id go for a j3. its only around $215 for a custom tune. jase can tune it for whatever mods you have. plus he can tune it for whatever fuel you want to run. he tuned mine for a 977b extractors, intake etc and its great on fuel. 700+ ks per tank on the highway. around 500 for around town. plus you can retune later for any other mods you do.

ef futura, pacemakers, 2.5inch catback, k&n panel filter and 3.45 lsd. extractors/cat, ticky head, custom cam grind, t5. now onto cosmetics.

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

VIC, Australia

The tickford ECU will make bugger all difference, maybe 1 or 2kw. A J3 will give you around 10rwkw when tuned properly.

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

he prefers if you have a dyno sheet showing afrs. but its not needed

ef futura, pacemakers, 2.5inch catback, k&n panel filter and 3.45 lsd. extractors/cat, ticky head, custom cam grind, t5. now onto cosmetics.

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Ef Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Cool thanks guys. Any idea about what I was saying with the j3's coming loose? I think I read it on here and when they come loose they need to be retuned? I may be wrong, but that was the only reason I was not thinking J3 and looking at a tickford ecu originally.

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

ive had no problems with mine coming loose. if it does, just plug it back in. the chip cant lose the tune.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]