Fordmods Logo

Tickford LPG ECU 

Page 2 of 4 [ 54 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Posted: Wed May 31, 2006 5:49 pm 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

twason wrote:
gowest wrote:
Ford had the car all day on Monday, charged me $240, (still not working) and told me I needed a new MAIN computer, hence my original post. At first I was told that they got the engine running on gas by bypassing the switch, a new one has to come from Victoria. Then when I got there to collect, the story changed. (got it running but very rough) They claimed they ran a diagnostic check on the MAIN computer and hence their diagnosis. When I questioned the fact that I thought there was a seperate gas controller,on board I was told there was DEFINATELY only 1 controlling both. Hence my lack of faith in sending it back to ford.

I have rang numerous gas repairers and none of them seem to want to look at it themselves. They all tell me to go to Perth Autogas who have already failed to diagnose the problem on 2 occasions.
The I doubt the Main ECU can cause this, lets see if we can find the fault ourselves. Try out my suggestions in the previous post and see where we are at.
Cheers
TW.

Thanks tw I appreciate your assistance. I have had a rather hectic week but I hope to get stuck into the car by thurs night. Please stay posted.

gw

Posted: Wed May 31, 2006 9:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: 2007

NSW, Australia

gowest wrote:
Ford had the car all day on Monday, charged me $240, (still not working) and told me I needed a new MAIN computer, hence my original post. At first I was told that they got the engine running on gas by bypassing the switch, a new one has to come from Victoria. Then when I got there to collect, the story changed. (got it running but very rough) They claimed they ran a diagnostic check on the MAIN computer and hence their diagnosis. When I questioned the fact that I thought there was a seperate gas controller,on board I was told there was DEFINATELY only 1 controlling both. Hence my lack of faith in sending it back to ford.

I have rang numerous gas repairers and none of them seem to want to look at it themselves. They all tell me to go to Perth Autogas who have already failed to diagnose the problem on 2 occasions.
GW, I had assumed that you are talking about an EF or EL, is that correct? It is unusual for Ford not to know basic system operation. My understanding is that the single ECU came out in the AU series but only for dedicated GAS. So it can't be applicable to yours as you state Duel fuel.

BF Fairmont Ghia Series II update.
GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___
|_/--\'_|'__|_/--\_[]IIII[]
_( o ) )_____( o ) )=o=) )__

Posted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:34 am 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

twason wrote:
gowest wrote:

GW, I had assumed that you are talking about an EF or EL, is that correct? It is unusual for Ford not to know basic system operation. My understanding is that the single ECU came out in the AU series but only for dedicated GAS. So it can't be applicable to yours as you state Duel fuel.

It is an EL 03/98 dual fuel fitted by Tickford on the 19/03/98 compliance plates varified. Had a quick look at where the clutch pedal would normally mount and there is a gold anodised craddle holding a black and silver box with some wires pluged into it. I will have a good look, check power and earthing etc tonight.

Is it possible to unplug and remove the gas controller and still run on petrol?

Thanks
GW

Posted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

gowest wrote:
twason wrote:
gowest wrote:

Thanks
GW
Yes it is but you need to bridge wires to get the Engine ECU to fire the injectors. I don't have the detail handy but I can look it up if required.

GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___

Posted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:18 pm 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

twason wrote:
gowest wrote:
twason wrote:
gowest wrote:

Thanks
GW
Yes it is but you need to bridge wires to get the Engine ECU to fire the injectors. I don't have the detail handy but I can look it up if required.

Thanks

Post subject: Pm
Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:11 pm 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

Hi twason

Have you checked your pm's

Post subject: Re: Pm
Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

gowest wrote:
Hi twason

Brett,
If you can disconnect the vapour hose to the inlet and block off both open ends, then start the car and change to gas and see if it dies after a few seconds. This will partially check the wiring between the two ECU's is intact and you have the correct Engine ECU in there.

Cheers
TW.

GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___

Post subject: Re: Pm
Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:41 pm 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

twason wrote:
gowest wrote:
Hi twason

Brett,
If you can disconnect the vapour hose to the inlet and block off both open ends, then start the car and change to gas and see if it dies after a few seconds. This will partially check the wiring between the two ECU's is intact and you have the correct Engine ECU in there.

Cheers
TW.

I clamped the vapour hose and the engine stalled exactly the same as when the hose is not clamped.

Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

OK, that sort of eliminates overfueling, why did you suspect spark? If you want to test that then connect a spare plug or a plug from someone else's car to one lead and earth the other end. Check for spark during the changover period.

GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___

Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:00 pm 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

twason wrote:
OK, that sort of eliminates overfueling, why did you suspect spark? If you want to test that then connect a spare plug or a plug from someone else's car to one lead and earth the other end. Check for spark during the changover period.

I suspected spark because the engine doen't run rough at all at changeover, it just stops.

Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

At changeover the injectors are stopped, not the spark , unless there is something wrong with the engine ecu when running on the LPG timing map then I doubt there is a problem.

It is looking like a Convertor or Stepper motor issue. Anyway press on with the test of the spark if you like.

GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___

Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:04 pm 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

twason wrote:
At changeover the injectors are stopped, not the spark , unless there is something wrong with the engine ecu when running on the LPG timing map then I doubt there is a problem.

It is looking like a Convertor or Stepper motor issue. Anyway press on with the test of the spark if you like.

I'm on it

Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Quote:
I have loosened the flare nut on the gas lock on the converter and it spews out liquid.
I missed this PM before what was the liquid, coolant perhaps or was it thick like oil?

GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___

Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:20 pm 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

twason wrote:
Quote:
I have loosened the flare nut on the gas lock on the converter and it spews out liquid.
I missed this PM before what was the liquid, coolant perhaps or was it thick like oil?

It was liquid GAS white and cold! That was on the tank side of the converter.

Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Maybe thats why they call it LPG.

GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___