Fordmods Logo

Tickford LPG ECU 

Page 1 of 4 [ 54 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: Tickford LPG ECU
Posted: Tue May 30, 2006 12:02 am 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

I'm a bit confussed,

Does the Tickford LPG system run a seperate ECU to the Petrol ECU.

And if so, where is the most common place in the vehicle for it to be mounted.

Posted: Tue May 30, 2006 12:04 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

LPG is run by a seperate controller IIRC, try under the drivers or passengers seat.

Althought I could be wrong, just remember reading that somewhere.

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Cheap, fast and reliable.. choose 2.

Post subject: Re: Tickford LPG ECU
Posted: Tue May 30, 2006 9:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: 2007

NSW, Australia

gowest wrote:
I'm a bit confussed,

Does the Tickford LPG system run a seperate ECU to the Petrol ECU.

And if so, where is the most common place in the vehicle for it to be mounted.
The normal ECU is replaced with a dual fuel ECU during the tickford installation it does the dual ignition curves for petrol and LPG. The LPG controller is mounted under the dash where the clutch pedal would mount, it controls the stepper motor on the convertor.

BF Fairmont Ghia Series II update.
GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___
|_/--\'_|'__|_/--\_[]IIII[]
_( o ) )_____( o ) )=o=) )__

Posted: Tue May 30, 2006 10:42 am 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

Thanks for the info twason.

Do you know if the lpg controller does anything other than controll the stepper motor. I have what seems to be a switching problem. ie: won't run on lpg (converter rebuilt & stepper motor & lockoffs all replaced, both fuses o.k.).

Posted: Tue May 30, 2006 10:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

gowest wrote:
Thanks for the info twason.

Do you know if the lpg controller does anything other than controll the stepper motor. I have what seems to be a switching problem. ie: won't run on lpg (converter rebuilt & stepper motor & lockoffs all replaced, both fuses o.k.).

Apart from controlling the lock off solenoids and the idle solenoid the only other thing it does is provide a signal for the engine ECU to go to the GAS timing map.

Did it just start doing this or was something changed?
Does it run on Petrol?
Does it start and then stop in a second or two?
Does it run on Gas but just not idle?

GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___

Posted: Tue May 30, 2006 12:41 pm 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

twason wrote:

Apart from controlling the lock off solenoids and the idle solenoid the only other thing it does is provide a signal for the engine ECU to go to the GAS timing map.

Did it just start doing this or was something changed?
Does it run on Petrol?
Does it start and then stop in a second or two?
Does it run on Gas but just not idle?

About 1 month ago I noticed it would only start/run on petrol in the morning regardless of switch "positition" (light next to switch remained OFF no matter what) till warmed up then could switch between the 2 all day long.
Converter re-kit done about 2 weeks ago due to water in low pressure gas side. (been tested twice, all O.K.)

Since converter re-kit it has not run on gas. Stepper motor has been replaced.

Still runs on petrol. However when the weather is really cold, the gas light will not turn off till after a few cranks (the colder, the more cranks).

When the engine is warm, switch in gas position, the engine will start momentarily (as it should, on petrol) then when it swtches to gas it stalls.

The engine will not idle or run on gas at all.

Cheers

Posted: Tue May 30, 2006 2:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

If the Gas light is not working this is a good place to start there is a only few things to check.

Is there 12volts to the GAS ECU (AMS) on both supplies? You indicate the fuses are OK but check with a meter.

Is the LED working, again check for voltage with a meter. The polarity of the voltage will change depending on the fuel selected. Check the switch while your there.

Is the AMS earth good?

If you are down to here I have bad news, it looks like the AMS is faulty.

GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___

Posted: Tue May 30, 2006 2:36 pm 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

Thanks for that, I will check the above when I get home tonight.

p.s. is there a knack to getting the gas switch out, I have tried with no success.

Ta

Posted: Tue May 30, 2006 2:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

It pops out from the back, the moulding on the front is part of the facia and does not seperate like the boot and fuel flap one does. You will have to remove the facia to get at it, about 7 or 8 screws will get it off.

GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___

Posted: Tue May 30, 2006 9:03 pm 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

twason wrote:
If the Gas light is not working this is a good place to start there is a only few things to check.

Is there 12volts to the GAS ECU (AMS) on both supplies? You indicate the fuses are OK but check with a meter.

Is the LED working, again check for voltage with a meter. The polarity of the voltage will change depending on the fuel selected. Check the switch while your there.

Is the AMS earth good?

If you are down to here I have bad news, it looks like the AMS is faulty.

The gas "light" is working. (on the dash next to switch).

Do you know of anyone preferably in Perth who may be able to check out and repair the AMS?

Post subject: Re: http://www.fordmods.com/forums/posting.pTickford LPG ECU
Posted: Tue May 30, 2006 10:20 pm 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

twason wrote:
[The normal ECU is replaced with a dual fuel ECU during the tickford installation it does the dual ignition curves for petrol and LPG. The LPG controller is mounted under the dash where the clutch pedal would mount, it controls the stepper motor on the convertor.

I pulled the stepper motor apart and according to the document on this website, in and out movement is required depending on different switch and ignition positions. The stepper motor performed as it should. Is this enough indication that the LPG controller is still good.

Post subject: Re: http://www.fordmods.com/forums/posting.pTickford LPG ECU
Posted: Wed May 31, 2006 8:48 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

gowest wrote:
twason wrote:
[The normal ECU is replaced with a dual fuel ECU during the tickford installation it does the dual ignition curves for petrol and LPG. The LPG controller is mounted under the dash where the clutch pedal would mount, it controls the stepper motor on the convertor.

I pulled the stepper motor apart and according to the document on this website, in and out movement is required depending on different switch and ignition positions. The stepper motor performed as it should. Is this enough indication that the LPG controller is still good.
Your description indicated a problem with the switch or indicator not coming on in previous post and the symptoms indicated to me a temperature problem with the AMS controller. Ignoring them and assuming the light is OK, the next step is testing the Stepper motor. To do this you need to remove it so you can observe the shaft. Turn the ignition on but don't start with petrol selected and the shaft should fully extend then fully retract. If this is successful then the Stepper could be eliminated but it does not indicate the AMS is good or bad, only the driver part is good. You mentioned the water leak in the convertor, once they leak the stepper motor will be destroyed by the water vapour rusting the mechanism. You said you replaced it, correct? I have seen new ones fail where the shaft seperates from the motor at the fully extended position that gives the same symptoms you have, if so it will likely show up in the stepper test, but try it again with a slight finger resistance on the shaft. I think you need to be testing in the morning while cold when the symptoms first started.

Ford are able to service or point you to the local service people.

GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___

Posted: Wed May 31, 2006 10:46 am 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

Ford had the car all day on Monday, charged me $240, (still not working) and told me I needed a new MAIN computer, hence my original post. At first I was told that they got the engine running on gas by bypassing the switch, a new one has to come from Victoria. Then when I got there to collect, the story changed. (got it running but very rough) They claimed they ran a diagnostic check on the MAIN computer and hence their diagnosis. When I questioned the fact that I thought there was a seperate gas controller,on board I was told there was DEFINATELY only 1 controlling both. Hence my lack of faith in sending it back to ford.

I have rang numerous gas repairers and none of them seem to want to look at it themselves. They all tell me to go to Perth Autogas who have already failed to diagnose the problem on 2 occasions.

Posted: Wed May 31, 2006 1:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

gowest wrote:
Ford had the car all day on Monday, charged me $240, (still not working) and told me I needed a new MAIN computer, hence my original post. At first I was told that they got the engine running on gas by bypassing the switch, a new one has to come from Victoria. Then when I got there to collect, the story changed. (got it running but very rough) They claimed they ran a diagnostic check on the MAIN computer and hence their diagnosis. When I questioned the fact that I thought there was a seperate gas controller,on board I was told there was DEFINATELY only 1 controlling both. Hence my lack of faith in sending it back to ford.

I have rang numerous gas repairers and none of them seem to want to look at it themselves. They all tell me to go to Perth Autogas who have already failed to diagnose the problem on 2 occasions.
The I doubt the Main ECU can cause this, lets see if we can find the fault ourselves. Try out my suggestions in the previous post and see where we are at.
Cheers
TW.

GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___

Posted: Wed May 31, 2006 5:49 pm 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

twason wrote:
gowest wrote:

The I doubt the Main ECU can cause this, lets see if we can find the fault ourselves. Try out my suggestions in the previous post and see where we are at.
Cheers
TW.

Thanks tw I appreciate your assistance. I have had a rather hectic week but I hope to get stuck into the car by thurs night. Please stay posted.

gw

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 4  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next