Ticking noise from ECU 

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Ticking noise from ECU
Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: AU2 XR8 ute & 91 EA bitsa

VIC, Australia

I had a look through a lot of posts, but couldn't find anything relating to this problem.

About a 2 months ago, I disconnected the ECU to confirm which wire goes to the instrument cluster when I installed a Speedo Corrector. The car has been off the road till last week. Now, every time I accelerate, there's a ticking noise coming from the ECU. Definitely, not the injectors making the noise.

I can't remember if I disconnected the battery when I fiddled with the ECU. Does anyone know if this would have caused something to short out inside? How sensitive are the ECUs to power surges?

AU2 XR8 with Raptor VL, ported Yella Terra GT40P heads, Scorpion 1.6 RRs, XE264HR-14 Comp Cam, ceramic coated Hurricane Headers, 60lb injectors, Walbro 255, 200cfi cats, 3" exhaust & Snow Performance water methanol injection

Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:11 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

VIC, Australia

I've experienced a similar problem, and No, theres no Relays or any 'moving' parts in the ECU.

I went on a rampage to find it, even removed the glove box (it sounds like moving pens doesn't it)

I put it down to something in my interior fan and lets leave it at that!

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: EF 5 Speed, XH Uterus :P

TAS, Australia

Mine has always made this noise. Thought it was an intake noise coming in through the air vents :lol:

Maloo - Holden's word for ugly.

Posted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:23 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EFII Fairmont

WA, Australia

Still might be. My sisters EL does it, and mine used to do it.

Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

i have the same problem and it giving me the s**t, does anyone know what courses the ecu to tick?

Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EA SVO, AU2, Toyota Crown

VIC, Australia

IS EVERYONE CARS HERE ON GAS? IF SO I KNOW THE PROBLEM. MINE HAD IT!!!!!

Daily driver: 2010 Toyota Crown hybrid 3.5L V6 hybrid. 254kw.
Weekend car: AU2 "XR8" 220kw 5L 5 speed. 19" BBS LM . Full exhaust. Lowered on Kings and Koni's. 13.8@97mph
Fast car: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. SDE 3500 stall. 76mm turbo. On E85. approx 425rwkw. 10.8@126mph

Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

no mine isnt on gas

Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

ah bummer. but the guy who asked the question. is it on gas?

Weekend car: AU2 "XR8" 220kw 5L 5 speed. 19" BBS LM . Full exhaust. Lowered on Kings and Koni's. 13.8@97mph
Fast car: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. SDE 3500 stall. 76mm turbo. On E85. approx 425rwkw. 10.8@126mph

Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:21 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

VIC, Australia

there is nothing in the ecu that ticks, well... unless you can hear silicon tranistors clicking.

the ecu does not click, it'll be the fan, derbis, even some engine bay valves.

or as above, someones on gas and they've installed a relay.

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Krytox wrote:
there is nothing in the ecu that ticks, well... unless you can hear silicon tranistors clicking.

the ecu does not click, it'll be the fan, derbis, even some engine bay valves.

or as above, someones on gas and they've installed a relay.

mine has this vacuum solenoid thing that was rubber mounted but the rubber had broke and was pulsating on metal which made a ticking noise which eminated through the left hand guard into the left hand kick panel which is where the computer is on a EB

Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: AU2 XR8 ute & 91 EA bitsa

VIC, Australia

I have to agree with Krytox. I was sure a ticking noise was coming from the ECU until I pulled the cover off it and left it freestanding. After driving around for a while, I found that the noise from sticking lifters somehow resonates in the left guard (in the vicinity of the ECU).

I suppose the noise from the extractors masks the sound on the driver's side of the car. Although the noise is not apparent when you have the bonnet up, it's noticeable when you're in the car accelerating.

I think it started after putting in extra shims for a Wade cam and I'm pretty sure some of the lifters were hard to reinstall. Looks like the rockers need to be pulled apart and reassembled.

Anyone else found 'ticking noises' started after they replaced their cam?

AU2 XR8 with Raptor VL, ported Yella Terra GT40P heads, Scorpion 1.6 RRs, XE264HR-14 Comp Cam, ceramic coated Hurricane Headers, 60lb injectors, Walbro 255, 200cfi cats, 3" exhaust & Snow Performance water methanol injection

Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:06 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: AU III Fairmont Ghia

Power: 201 rwkw

QLD, Australia

Gents..

I just picked up my AUIII Fairmont Ghia, purchased from Etheridge in VIC> The car started ticking off and on after around 5 minutes, from what appeared to be the ECU. Took it straight back to the dealer. They went inside and quizzed a mechanic. Rapid ticking appeared to be a Charcoal Canister Purge Valve. This is located behind the covers under the Panels near the LH Headlight. I am off to Carmichael Ford in Townsville to verify if it is the part, the wiring, the ECU or a combination of either or all to sort something out with the warranty. If it is big enough $1600 cartage back to Melbourne. They assured me it was fine. Otherwise it would have been left with them to rectify under the warranty.

Let me know if this gels with any other members. Will update tomorrow.

Couchy

Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:32 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Trev-J-C wrote:
Gents..

I just picked up my AUIII Fairmont Ghia, purchased from Etheridge in VIC> The car started ticking off and on after around 5 minutes, from what appeared to be the ECU. Took it straight back to the dealer. They went inside and quizzed a mechanic. Rapid ticking appeared to be a Charcoal Canister Purge Valve. This is located behind the covers under the Panels near the LH Headlight. I am off to Carmichael Ford in Townsville to verify if it is the part, the wiring, the ECU or a combination of either or all to sort something out with the warranty. If it is big enough $1600 cartage back to Melbourne. They assured me it was fine. Otherwise it would have been left with them to rectify under the warranty.

Let me know if this gels with any other members. Will update tomorrow.

Couchy
oh yeah. mine had that too. but on the EB they are between the intake and the inner guard

Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:28 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 23 images

Ride: BFII Fairmont Ghia, Silver

VIC, Australia

Shortshift wrote:
Although the noise is not apparent when you have the bonnet up, it's noticeable when you're in the car accelerating.

My Aug '98 EL Futura 6 cyl auto, not on gas, did it for most of the years I had it. Only ticked when the engine was under load and accelerator was down by any setting. Didn't do it when rolling along with no throttle.

No-one could identify it, appeared to be harmless though, and I suspected it was a fan. Annoyed the hell out of me. I used to turn the CD volume up a bit more!

Posted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:28 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: AU III Fairmont Ghia

Power: 201 rwkw

QLD, Australia

Took off the under body cover screws, peeled it back, then started the car. The ticking/clicking started a few minutes in at idle. There is an electronic servo/valve fed by a two wire connector and a t-piece with an in & out of vacuum type hose. It was clicking away. Moved it away from the body and the noise subsided somewhat. Wrapped it in loose cotton and then cable tied it. I would not anticipate any problems with heat. It is still ventilated under there. IF the paint bubbles behind the left headlight and a warning light or two start up I will know where the problem lay. I had been told the $160 replacement part may start ticking as soon as it is fitted. Annoying noise gone...If I could two arms up there I would have disconnected it completely, monitored fuel consumption etc and then decided whether my non-compliance with EPA laws annoyed me more than the ticking...Problem solved...for now..

Trevor

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next