Fordmods Logo

Time to organise a Megasquirt-II Group Buy 

Page 3 of 23 [ 338 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 23  Next

Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

I'm thinking i may just watch ebay like a hawk and buy a premade/tested unit. I dont have a hope in hell of constructing one myself.

Very impressed with what i've read about these units, and am keen to give one a go in August. I just have 0 soldering ability :cry:

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:07 pm 
Site Admin

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

NSW, Australia

4.9 EF Futura wrote:
I'm thinking i may just watch ebay like a hawk and buy a premade/tested unit. I dont have a hope in hell of constructing one myself.

Very impressed with what i've read about these units, and am keen to give one a go in August. I just have 0 soldering ability :cry:

I'm sure someone here would be happy to build a couple for people like us :)

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I've actually though long and hard about this and I was going to post later, but since the topic has come up now, I'll let you guys in on my plan.

I was thinking about the wiring and I got a good idea. If I can get some male and female plugs the same as the EEC-V uses, I'll be able to make up an adaptor.

The adaptor will plug into your existing woring loom and some wires will go the the DB-37 for MS and the others will go straight to the EEC-V. That allows us to do a 5 minute ECU change.

Now, I am also considering soldering MS-IIs together myself and selling them to people on this forum. Once I get the wiring sorted and the adaptors made, I will be selling them for around about $1000 that that includes a Wideband O2 sensor and controller and the adaptor. Compare that with a unichip for $1200!!

If this goes ahead, and I think there is more than enough demand for something like this out there, I will be looking for different configuration cars to install these in at a reduced rate. That way I could build up a database of fuel and spark maps so if someone wants a MS-II to suit his/her EF 4.0L with engine modification x,y and z, It's just a matter of loading a fuel and spark map and the car's tuned in 5 mins.

Would people consider $1000 a fair price for a pre-tuned MS-II with wideband oxy instead of $1200 for a unichip?

Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

A few points about creating an EEC harness adapter...

The parts for this kind of thing is available in the US of A, but they do not come cheap.... about $300-$500 for an EEC-V "Brakeout box"..

http://www.autobarn.net/xxx3235.html

The difficult bit comes in finding male (i.e. ECU-side) plugs.

You'll also need EEC-IV style 60pinners for EB/ED/EL and EEC-V style 104pinners for EF/AU and EL/EF/AU V8 models...

Regarding maps, i've been in touch with a few guys in the states who can provide good maps for 5.0L V8 (EB-AU) and the boss (if anyone with a BA is keen, lol)... i guess the 6 cyl guys are working with clean slate... but tuning is half the fun anyways

Any idea on approximate price of unit without the wideband? i.e. just the box, no harnesses/adapters etc...

Ive seen MS ver 1 going on ebay for AU$350 and new units for about US$400 with a harness - without oxy of course.

Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Hmmm. I didn't realise there were so many wires.

I'll have to sharpen my pencil to see exactally what I can get the price of MS-I or MS-II down to.

I would have really liked to be able to make a MS-I/II wiring adaptor for the EEC-IV/V

Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Lol, i hope my comments were not overly pessimistic regarding the adaptors.

Waggin looked into this when frankensteining the Motec into the loom. I think the best option would be to use a defunct ECU and butcher the plug off this.... female (harness side) should be easily sourced with a vist to the wreckers and a sharp pair of pliers/scissors. Obviously not ideal for making medium-volume batches.

But i'd say installation will be a saturday spent sitting on the passenger seat floor, with a workshop manual and a multimeter, cutting and shutting/splicing....

Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:27 pm 
Site Admin

NSW, Australia

The only chance you've got of a cost effective EEC 'Male' (ECU Side) plug is gutting ECU's.

I dont mind cutting/joining the ECU into the loom, but i'm sure some other people are.

Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2000 AU II Fairmont Ghia

QLD, Australia

Waggin wrote:
4.9 EF Futura wrote:

I'm sure someone here would be happy to build a couple for people like us :)

im pretty handy with the rod of doom, so i guess id be willing to give it a go... after ive made one that works first, of course :D

and also, i agree with the adapter. it would be brilliant toi get a plug and play system up and running! pull apart an ecu and wiring harness and you have the adapter!

so those of us who have busted eec-iv or v units, DONT THROW THEM OUT! the plugs are still good (as are the boxes. perhaps transplant megasquirt ecu into there so insurance and onlookers know diddly squat until you plug the lappa in tu tune? :D

Organza 2000 AU 2 Fairmont Ghia
4.0 VCT
JMM Race Series Exhaust
AWC TS50 Front bar
3.45 LSD

Coming soon:
G&D Airbox
CAPA Edit

Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:35 pm 
Site Admin

NSW, Australia

I *can* solder, but havent done any work on PCB for many years.. not worth risking breaking the kit and having to send back to the states for a replacement :D

Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

SA, Australia

I'd be interested in assembling kits for other people. Particularly after I have mine in and running. This way I can assemble and test your unit.

Cost unknown at this stage, I'll see how long it takes to assemble my kit. Hopefully I'll have it in and going before next cruise, although this will be on a stand alone system with the Cleveland, I have no intention at this stage of replacing my EECV in the EF.

Adrian
EF Fairmont, 5.0Lt, Pacemaker Headers, Sports cats, Redback muff, T5 manual, 16" Tickford rims, Tickford "Body Styling", DBA Gold Rotors, Heritage Green, JVC MP3
XB Coupe, 351C, twin system, C4 shift kitted auto, 9" LSD, Eccose Blue, very loud !!!!

Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EL Manual

VIC, Australia

So MSII will be completely compatable with all Ford sensors, and ignition/injection components? If it's going to be a change over replacement then it will have to be.

Also why not purchase a three way connector and splice into the ECU loom. You could sell the MSII with the MS side of the connector all wired up and all the user has to do is find the correct wires (easy with a wiring diagram - i have done it with the datalogger) and cut them, strip the ends and plug into both sides of the connector with the MSII coming out if the 3rd side. Not very hard and if it saves $400 it's fine by me!

Manual EL Gli.
Mods: Crow Stg3, Chiptorque Dynotune. Lukey Exhaust. DBA slotted rotors, EBC Pads. Whiteline Low Susp. EL GT Swaybars, ROH Envy 17 x235 wheels. Vehicle Datalogger Display V2.0,

Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:21 pm 
Site Admin

NSW, Australia

I remember reading that the ford EDIS system is compatible, although us aussies will probably find the same problem as I did when installing the MoTeC - you will need a 3 (or 4) channel ignitor to drive them.

I would assume the TFI/Dizzy system would be supported, no questions asked.

Things such as temp sensors are a slightly different topic, but there should be an OEM sensor out there on another make/model which will fit, and work with the MS.

Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

DIY fuel injection is never going to be an easy changeover.

Regarding the sensors - there are utilities available to allow you to load custom sensor specs into the megasquirt.

Either get your hands on the data or test it yourself and enter this info into the software, it will make the necessary changes to the MS code and you'll be able to use factory sensors. With exception of MAP/MAF but MAP built into MS...

TFI pretty simple i think (so long as we are not using CCD TFI, whatever that means??!?).... MS just outputs a SPOUT signal which i think is inverted and fed to TFI... so set base timing and hey presto...

Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:35 pm 
Site Admin

NSW, Australia

4.9 EF Futura wrote:
DIY fuel injection is never going to be an easy changeover.

Regarding the sensors - there are utilities available to allow you to load custom sensor specs into the megasquirt.

Either get your hands on the data or test it yourself and enter this info into the software, it will make the necessary changes to the MS code and you'll be able to use factory sensors. With exception of MAP/MAF but MAP built into MS...

TFI pretty simple i think (so long as we are not using CCD TFI, whatever that means??!?).... MS just outputs a SPOUT signal which i think is inverted and fed to TFI... so set base timing and hey presto...

Yep, SPOUT is all it takes :D

With the sensor calibration, thats the same on most aftermarket ECU's, however finding calibration data, or trying to work out calibrations yourself isn't fun - hence buying a supported sensor is definantly the way to go

Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Well it's easy to find sensors that will do anyway. There's a wealth of info on teh MS forum about specs of sensors and part numbers... even updated code with the new values specific to what sensors you use (although updating the code yourself with easytherm is a piece of piss)

Now that splicing is a good idea. You can get a strip of the plastic connectors for around $0.20 from Jaycar which has 10 connectors in it. i think you can get double row ones?

Anyway, that's a very good idea. $10 and 30mins installation and that way the person making the adaptors (me) wouldn't have the added cost and time of 208 solders making up the adaptors and finding plugs

When I soldered mine together I think it took about 10hrs work. That included some testing. I'm not sure though cause I spread that over about 3 weeks.

If i had a car to work on I'd get this underway now! But I don't.

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 23  [ 338 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 23  Next