Fordmods Logo

Tuning your Falcon with a T.I. Performance J3 Chip 

Page 94 of 100 [ 1500 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97 ... 100  Next

Post subject: Re: Tuning your Falcon with a T.I. Performance J3 Chip
Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:51 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: MCMXCV Falcon

VIC, Australia

The ford parts catalog says 6THB and 6TJB is EL GT man and auto..

but catalog only goes upto feb97...

So maybe a EL GT update..or even a FBT?

also checked a bit in it ising NVMG86 and found MAF transfer is different as well...but is different to EB GT MAF transfer...which i thought were the same...

Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: MCMXCV Falcon

VIC, Australia

Guys,

Would anyone have a MAF transfer function for an AU Housing with E series sensor...

just like to see what sort of difference there is in the figures...

Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Supercharged EF Fairmont

VIC, Australia

We just got our first shipment of Dan's AU Upper Arm Adaptors! These things really do transform the cornering ability of your eseries, and are in our view the best suspension modification you could do after lowering. Grab a pair while they're hot at http://www.tiperformance.com.au/shop/au ... -adaptors/

Cheers,
Jason

Posted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

efxr6wagon wrote:
My EF XR6 goes way lean snapping the throttle open and way rich snapping it shut. For example, turning onto an on-ramp at about 2500-3000 rpm with minimal load then flooring it will lean out to 17 AFR at 4000rpm and WOT :shock: - definitely not ideal. I have played with VE table so it's safe going WOT from idle or under load against the brakes up to stall rpm - so it's fine for the drags. But without the load, it spikes way too lean. It's too far out to even think about working around by tuning rich everywhere. Would love to be able to sort this.

I thought I would put up a couple graphs from my data logging to illustrate the problem.

Here is a normal WOT run to redline starting from idle and a dead stop:
Attachment:
Not going lean from idle 121014.jpg
Not going lean from idle 121014.jpg [ 151.88 KiB | Viewed 294 times ]

It goes a little over-rich above 5000 rpm - which I will be tuning out - but otherwise AFRs are OK.

Here is another run (less than 3 minutes later), snapping the throttle open from about 30% throttle and 2400rpm:
Attachment:
Going lean from part throttle 121014.jpg
Going lean from part throttle 121014.jpg [ 159.85 KiB | Viewed 285 times ]

It instantly goes rich to 13.0 AFR as it should, then spikes lean for over a full second, peaking at 16.5 AFR , before dropping back to 11.8 AFR as in the previous run.

This lean spike is fairly consistent - happening whenever I mash it from cruise revs and low load. It hasn't caused any damage yet, or even noticeable pinging, but this can't be good for the engine long-term.

Has anyone seen this effect before? Any ideas what might be causing it?

Thanks.

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Posted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:10 am 
Oompa Loompa

TAS, Australia

Hi my car is running a el ecu with a time chip tuned to what I've done but my question is will I need a retune after doing a bbm conversion? Also I run 5degrees advanced ignition timing will the ecu advance the timing by 10degrees after the conversion or is it unable to because my car is not compatible? The car is a 1990 fairlane. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Posted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

QLD, Australia

efxr6wagon wrote:
efxr6wagon wrote:
My EF XR6 goes way lean snapping the throttle open and way rich snapping it shut. For example, turning onto an on-ramp at about 2500-3000 rpm with minimal load then flooring it will lean out to 17 AFR at 4000rpm and WOT :shock: - definitely not ideal. I have played with VE table so it's safe going WOT from idle or under load against the brakes up to stall rpm - so it's fine for the drags. But without the load, it spikes way too lean. It's too far out to even think about working around by tuning rich everywhere. Would love to be able to sort this.

I thought I would put up a couple graphs from my data logging to illustrate the problem.

Here is a normal WOT run to redline starting from idle and a dead stop:
Attachment:
Not going lean from idle 121014.jpg

It goes a little over-rich above 5000 rpm - which I will be tuning out - but otherwise AFRs are OK.

Here is another run (less than 3 minutes later), snapping the throttle open from about 30% throttle and 2400rpm:
Attachment:
Going lean from part throttle 121014.jpg

It instantly goes rich to 13.0 AFR as it should, then spikes lean for over a full second, peaking at 16.5 AFR , before dropping back to 11.8 AFR as in the previous run.

This lean spike is fairly consistent - happening whenever I mash it from cruise revs and low load. It hasn't caused any damage yet, or even noticeable pinging, but this can't be good for the engine long-term.

Has anyone seen this effect before? Any ideas what might be causing it?

Thanks.

Not sure if it will help your issue, but I've finally all but ironed out my acceleration hesitation by increasing the Injector Min Pulse Width. Initially I've gone to 295 but in the next tune I'm going to try 305 - it doesn't actually hesitate any more but there's no "snap" either. In my case I suspect the increase in MAP momentarily overpowers the fuel pressure overhead in the injectors (keep in mind they're bank/batch fire so 2 are exposed to raw MAP without port drawing). It's of course also possible this is a symptom of faulty fuel pressure regulator - I guess I should go thru the whole process of checking my rail pressure etc.

I also think the new AUSSIE MADE O2 sensor I fitted last year is faulty - because since fitting Jason's first tuned J3 I've had an ongoing problem of any tune going good for 4 to 5 days then exhibiting signs of shifting lean - but in the current tune where I've increased that min injector pulse I've also richened the Fuel Stabilised table across the board and bugger me I can go back to running AND KEEPING the bottom / midrange timing it likes - ie. like about +10 degrees.

She's back to going like a cut cat even in stinkin hot / humid weather 8-)

Sold the Greenmachine - now driving 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:52 pm 
Oompa Loompa

TAS, Australia

I have a ti chip and el ecu in my ea after unplugging my isc like I was advised to but now it's annoying the hell out of me. I was wondering if using a el isc will allow my car to idle properly?

Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Who advised you to unplug the ISC? Not me!

Set the base idle following the instructions supplied with the chip. If you have rev hanging issues, follow the troubleshooting section of the same instructions.

Unplugging the ISC or drilling holes in the throttle plate is not the correct solution.

Cheers,
Jason

Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:30 pm 
Oompa Loompa

TAS, Australia

No not you. I tried every possible way to get the damn thing to idle correctly but it either sat at about 1000rpm or it stalled.

Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:31 pm 
Oompa Loompa

TAS, Australia

No not you. I tried every possible way to get the damn thing to idle correctly but it either sat at about 1000rpm or it stalled.

Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Did you follow the instructions to the letter?

Is there a chance that some of your mods weren't listed when the tune was done?

Got any Wideband AFR logs or dyno data to help do a retune?

Cheers,
Jason

Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:03 pm 
Oompa Loompa

TAS, Australia

Each time I get the money for a run either something breaks or something comes up. All the mods were there.

Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:58 pm 
Oompa Loompa

TAS, Australia

I'll put the el isc on it and see if that works as my standard one may be the problem. Apart from the plug on it is there any other difference that may make it play up. My el one has a pipe with a plastic plug on it what is that for and will it affect anything?

Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:50 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I already said the EL one is not required.

Cheers,
Jason

Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:52 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

90na2 wrote:
I'll put the el isc on it and see if that works as my standard one may be the problem. Apart from the plug on it is there any other difference that may make it play up. My el one has a pipe with a plastic plug on it what is that for and will it affect anything?

What intake are you running (Throttle Body)?

Sort by  
 Page 94 of 100  [ 1500 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97 ... 100  Next