up grade that restrictive MAF... 

Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

veeate wrote:
gunit18 wrote:
so if i put my 24lbs injectors in, they won't be running at 24lbs/hr? would that be fixed by a bigger fuel pump?

id say that would be fixed with bigger or adjustable fuel reg.

Yeah, its the fuel regulator that alters injector flow.

What 24lb injectors do you have? To find out what they flow in your engine, you need to know what pressure they are designed to run at (which is the pressure they will flow 24lb at) and the pressure your running.

24lb ford motorsport blue top injectors flow 24lb of fuel in a falcon

24lb bosch '775 blue top injectors (from HSV/Magna) flow ~21 in a falcon

Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas

Post subject: Re: up grade that restrictive MAF...
Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

veeate wrote:
ive just been flickung thru a catalogue at work and i found a MAF which you can bolt up your existing sensor to...the ID is 75mm, compared to the stock one of about 50mm......i was gonna buy an 74mm EL GT one on ebay for $400 but was told the EL sensor wouldnt work with my ECU....this adaptor retails for about $60.....i will see it in about 10 days....ill keep you ppls posted.....

those adapters are not the best way out.

simple putting your sensor into a biger pipe will cause the ecu to see the wrong amount of air.

the air moving quite fast through the stock maf, put the same sensor into a biger pipe and the air speed will slow down. causing the ecu to think less air is going in and it will inject less feul. causing a lean mix

Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:18 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Blueprint EB II Fairmont 5L

WA, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
veeate wrote:
ive just been flickung thru a catalogue at work and i found a MAF which you can bolt up your existing sensor to...the ID is 75mm, compared to the stock one of about 50mm......i was gonna buy an 74mm EL GT one on ebay for $400 but was told the EL sensor wouldnt work with my ECU....this adaptor retails for about $60.....i will see it in about 10 days....ill keep you ppls posted.....

simple putting your sensor into a biger pipe will cause the ecu to see the wrong amount of air.

the air moving quite fast through the stock maf, put the same sensor into a biger pipe and the air speed will slow down. causing the ecu to think less air is going in and it will inject less feul. causing a lean mix

thats wat i thought too, but then i was talking to someone and he told me to buy a PRO M maf and put my existing sensor in it, so i wasnt gonna spend $400 on a bigger pipe and not use the Pro M sensor, so i figured this would do the same job as that.....

Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

heres some pics

Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:48 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: R32 Rb25

VIC, Australia

so u bought it?

any power gain??

Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

it feels like there is hey...a 5.0L Perfomrance book i have done the same mod as this and and had an 8hp increase, bigger tube with teh stock sensor

Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:10 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: R32 Rb25

VIC, Australia

whats the book called?

also what magz do u guys buy?

Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

veeate wrote:
really :o ???? only 19lb injectors on a supercharged engine ??

Lol.. i should have paid more attention to this thread. Aplogies for the delay but stockstandard has spelt it out fairly well.

I run a HUGELY rising rate regulator. 12:1 to be exact. Max boost around 7.5psi so do the math and you'll see that im asking a lot from the standard fuel system.

Many people speak out against such a setup. And rightly so - it's not the "proper" way to do it. But dont let anyone tell you it wont work :)

-Car is driven every day
-Car drives like standard when not on boost
-Car never experiences detonation
-Car makes 170kw at the wheels with STANDARD intake and exhaust manifold, E7TE heads.
-Car has been doing so for over 18 months - without any problems what so ever.

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL Fairmont

SA, Australia

4.9 EF Futura wrote:

Your arms are big enough now not to notice when you loose your PS belt??? :)

Soo many idiots. So few bullets

Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

Walkinshaw wrote:
4.9 EF Futura wrote:

Your arms are big enough now not to notice when you loose your PS belt??? :)

Yes it would appear those instances slipped my mind, dan. It was only a "temporary alignment issue" :)

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

veeate wrote:
tickford_6 wrote:
veeate wrote:

thats wat i thought too, but then i was talking to someone and he told me to buy a PRO M maf and put my existing sensor in it, so i wasnt gonna spend $400 on a bigger pipe and not use the Pro M sensor, so i figured this would do the same job as that.....

the point of the pro-m maf is that it is calibrated to give the right signal with the larger pipe...

Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:49 pm 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

Ok lad's here's an excerpt from another post where we talked about MAF's that might be of assistance.....

With the exception of some terminolgy that's sort of correct.
The hotwire requires more current to maintain temp with greater airflow.
The MAF electronics sense this current and output a resultant voltage ranging from zero to 5Volts. This is the airmass vs the voltage out and is known as the MAF transfer function.
The MAF transfer function is therefore a 2 dimensional map programmed into the EEC. The axes are airmass(in KG/hr) vs Volts. The MAF itself is not programmed to suit any particular injector size. The EEC is programmed for injector size. The injector size for the HO engine is 19lbs/hr.
The MAF electronics and hotwire assembly are very similar in their calibration between each other. This is one reason why you can get away with using the early electronics on a later and larger MAF housing and only experience slight inaccuracies in fueling.
Aftermarket MAF's like the C&L/Vortech take the concept a step further.
They use the stock electronics on a larger MAF housing. Normally this would result in a dangerously lean condition. They fix this by changing the size of the sampling tube. By making the sample tube larger they effectively measure more of the total airflow through the MAF. This brings it closer to the original MAF transfer programmed into the EEC. If larger injectors are required the sample tube is sized so that when the injectors are opened they happen to flow the correct(well close to) amount of fuel for the actual mass of air entering. The problem with these MAF's is that it's possible to actually hit a maximum output of 5Volts before the MAF has actually hit maximum mass flow. They've also been known to require "clocking"(rotating) in the tube to account for their questionable flow characteristics and are inherrently "noisy" in signal terms.
Other aftermarket MAF's(Pro-M,Granatelli,Ford racing) are actually calibrated electronically for the desired transfer function. Once again this can be a "skewed" transfer function to compensate for larger injectors. This of course means that they do not suffer from a maxing out of actual mass flow before maximum output voltage is reached.
All the while the EEC(in the case of the 5.0HO) still thinks it has 19's and a 55mm MAF.
This means that load calculation by the EEC is thrown out which, can result in detonation. Many modified engines can actually benefit from increased spark but an across the board spark advance increase can result in problem areas.
Many of the aftermarket MAF manufacturers provide the actual MAF transfer function for entry into the EEC. For EECIV and V this can only be done via a chip,TwEECer or EEC-Tuner, EECV can also be reflashed.
This is the only way for correct load calculation.

Cheers,
Pete.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2