Fordmods Logo

V8 owners 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: V8 owners
Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:32 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 5 images

Oustide Australia

I ran the diags on my car today and I keep on getting error code 27, gear select input position fault. Now the only thing I can find on the diagrams on the tCM in relation to gear lever is pin 10, which is a PRND321 ground. I have this conencted to ground but thinking it may not be right. Are there any v8 owners out there (especially EF) that can verify were this pin is meant ot be connected to? It is the purple/white wire. I still can't manually select 123, I'm stuck with D. so I'm trying to sort this out. Apart from connecting a new shielded wire from pin 43 of the ECU to the TCM is there anything else I'm missing?

any help would be greatly appreciated..starting to drive me nuts.

Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:03 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EL GT - T2 TS50

QLD, Australia

Have you looked at the Neutral switch of the side of the gearbox? I had that problem with my EB and thats what it was, it tells the TCM what gear its in - in that respect.

Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:49 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Oustide Australia

yeah the inhibitor switch is brand new. From the diagrams I have I can see that info from the gearbox goes directly to the ECU on pin 64, and the switch is earthed via pin 91.

I found another diagram that suggests pin 17 (purple) has a connection from the same wire. Probing the wire however shows a flat 4.95v. Pin 10 is meant to be the PNRD321 ground but the book doesn't say if it is meant to be any ground or to pin 91 as well. I can't find anything about pin 10 or 17 that connect to the TCM (or so the repair manual says).

I can only think that the current gear position is transmitted to the TCM via the DOL from pin 43 on the ECU.

can anyone clear this up?

Posted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: BA Ford Fairlane V8

NSW, Australia

I'll suss out mine mate and get back to you soon.

Interested in a fair go for the Hunter-New England area of NSW?

Posted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:58 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

KiwiDazza wrote:
From the diagrams I have I can see that info from the gearbox goes directly to the ECU on pin 64, and the switch is earthed via pin 91. I found another diagram that suggests pin 17 (purple) has a connection from the same wire. Probing the wire however shows a flat 4.95v. Pin 10 is meant to be the PNRD321 ground but the book doesn't say if it is meant to be any ground or to pin 91 as well. I can't find anything about pin 10 or 17 that connect to the TCM (or so the repair manual says). I can only think that the current gear position is transmitted to the TCM via the DOL from pin 43 on the ECU.
I think you have it correct - the EA TCM used pins 10 & 17 - which hooked up directly from the trans range s/w. I think pin 10 in the manuals is an error, probably carries over from the EA 6 cyl TCM).

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:34 am 
Stock as a Rock

Oustide Australia

yeah thge local ford guys said that too. at the moment i'm looking at installing another hall sensor for the speedo. I have it connected after the instrument cluster.

I noticed yesterday that from a stand still if you plant the gas it will go about 10-15m then going into LHM. I got to do it every time doing this. When taking it nice and easy it wont and when cruising along then planting the foot it wont do it then either. It is getting easier to live with..just have to hang out for a manual over here :)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]