Fordmods Logo

Vortex vs Optimax ect. 

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Vortex vs Optimax ect.
Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:42 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

hey guys.
Got an EF and it has always been run on unleaded fuel.
But trying to decide if i should be putting one of the premium unleadeds in.
Today i put some Caltex Vortex stuff in it jsut to see any changes in economy over a few tanks.

What do you all reckon is better and is it worth paying the extra money for the better fuel.

Thanks

Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:55 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 1 images

NSW, Australia

Caltex Vortex is the equivalent to Shell Optimax, BP Ultimate and other 98 RON premium fuels.

Basically any high octane fuel should be good for your car. You wil notice it will be smoother and responsive after a few tanks since it burns cleaner.

Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: 1997 Falcon EL Gli/Sleeper

QLD, Australia

I would use BP Ultimate over Vortech and Optimax as I found personally with my EL that my idle dosen't hesitate when I use Ultimate as I was using Optimax for the past 2 years and I found I had a constant niggle with my Idle always hesitating and I thought it was to do with my Engine rather than the fuel and then a few months ago I used Ultimate and a few weeks later after that,..."WALLAH," no Hesitant IDLE anymore. So if I had of known what I know now I wouldn't of wasted all my money going in out of the Mechanic shop to repair this and that. When all I had to do was put Ultimate in it LOL

" In life their is never an Obligation just an Opportunity to..Own an awesome 1970 Ford Mach 1 Mustang! "

Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: Mondeo XR5T

Power: 173 rwkw

NSW, Australia

I was using optimax, but you can never trust that stuff. Apparently when the shell station takes delivery of their fuel, if there is any unleaded petrol left over it goes into the optimax tanks!!! So you can never be sure that you are getting the performance fuel you are paying for.

Now this is all only hear say, but who knows :?:

I was having allot of pinging issues, I switched to 98Ron and hey presto, the pinging was gone. May be caltex does the same, but who knows :?:

If your engine is stock then any of the fuels I suppose would be ok, Ultimate, Vortex, Optimax, 98Ron etc....

I don't know if you would get better fuel economy though, I would have thought it would go the other way :?:

Shugg

Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: NL V8 Fairlane

NSW, Australia

Better to have a poll here..

I just use Vortex. Has been the most consistent to me.

There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who know binary and those who don't.

Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:34 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

ok, how do we go about doing a poll.
and the only reason i put vortex in it as opposed to the other brands was because i had the 4cents a litre off coupon

Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: EF Fairmont Wagon, ph34r!

WA, Australia

I'm not sure you can add a poll to an existing thread without some divine intervention. However, I'm not sure a poll would be much use since you not only have to say what fuel you're using it but also why you're using it.

Team Argon Silver

Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: ED Fairmont Ghia & EF XR8

VIC, Australia

ive been using optimax but have run a few tanks on vortex and ultimate and have found to get less k's out of a tank and on vortex the car runs like a bag of s**t. personnally i prefer Optimax in my ED

Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 320kw BA XR8

SA, Australia

I swear by Mobil Synergy 8000, but when it comes down to it, and 98 octane fuel should be the same unless you are running forced induction or high compression motors, there is just so much safety built into the factory mapping that it shouldn't matter.

Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:09 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EL Futura

VIC, Australia

1 SLY 97EL wrote:
I would use BP Ultimate over Vortech and Optimax as I found personally with my EL that my idle dosen't hesitate when I use Ultimate as I was using Optimax for the past 2 years and I found I had a constant niggle with my Idle always hesitating and I thought it was to do with my Engine rather than the fuel and then a few months ago I used Ultimate and a few weeks later after that,..."WALLAH," no Hesitant IDLE anymore. So if I had of known what I know now I wouldn't of wasted all my money going in out of the Mechanic shop to repair this and that. When all I had to do was put Ultimate in it LOL

Hey mate could you expand on this a little bit more please. What do u mean by hesitant idle?
I have an EL Futura and am using Optimax and have noticed when im taking off the car hesitates for a couple of seconds before going. Is this what you were meaning? I hope so cos it's got me stuffed what the problem is! :D

Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:52 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1997 Falcon EL Gli/Sleeper

QLD, Australia

He[X]eN wrote:
1 SLY 97EL wrote:

Hey mate could you expand on this a little bit more please. What do u mean by hesitant idle?
I have an EL Futura and am using Optimax and have noticed when im taking off the car hesitates for a couple of seconds before going. Is this what you were meaning? I hope so cos it's got me stuffed what the problem is! :D

Nah that sounds more like your one of your Sparkplug leads are arcing and causing that Flatspot in acceleration :?: Nah mine was a hesitant idle when actually sitting idle in traffic. It was sort of like when you pull a lead of the spark plug but not as severe. Just an ever so slight miss.

" In life their is never an Obligation just an Opportunity to..Own an awesome 1970 Ford Mach 1 Mustang! "

Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:53 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

i thought caltex fuel was made by shell, like last week i saw a shell truck filling up a seven eleven!!

and i do notice difference between Bp and shell, i try and go for Bp.

" If you aint first, Your last!"

Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 320kw BA XR8

SA, Australia

Pretty sure Caltex run their own fuel, not shell although I could be wrong. But yeah all the cheapo service stations buy what ever is left in the bottom of the tanker (which has all the crap which settles out of the fuel) for a discounted rate from the major fuel companies.

Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:40 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont Wagon, ph34r!

WA, Australia

I thought I'd try running my car on premium fuel yesterday just to see if it made a difference. After picking my jaw up off the floor as a result of seeing the price difference between regular PULP and 98RON I went and filled up with normal PULP (which I believe is 95RON). My question is: Should I have made the effort to fill up with 98RON? Is 98RON worth the premium in a 10 year old, 193,000km engine?

Team Argon Silver

Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 8:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ef falcon, el fairmont ghia

New Zealand

im in new zealand and we only have 91 and 96 but we have vortex too im running 91 atm coz gas is so exspensive.... $1.29 for 91 anyhow would it be worth changing to 96

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next