Fordmods Logo

What can effect fuel economy? 

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII Ghia

yeha i changed my fuel filter today it was a prick. i put it up on a hoist made it so much easier. used some multi grips on the small bolt worked a treat

Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

fuel filter and air filter might help a little but u need to hit the dyno 17L/100 in a six of any kind is crap. I get 15L/100 city 10.6L/100hwy in a 5.0L

ef fairmont ghia 5.0L
classy cruiser

Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:45 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA GT

WA, Australia

tyres are running ~44PSI, (max load rated at 50PSI) f**k woja if your doing a long trip 2 more hours pressure is going to exceed 5o!

Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:50 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

kermey wrote:
tyres are running ~44PSI, (max load rated at 50PSI) f**k woja if your doing a long trip 2 more hours pressure is going to exceed 5o!

nope

higher tyre pressures means the air inside the tyre is more compact and less likely to move around and heat up

a lower pressure tyre will heat up more than a higher pressure tyre

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

kermey wrote:

Generally, tyres increase by about 2-3 PSI @ temp. So my tyres will be runing approx 46-47psi @ temp. Still less than max.

Higher pressures have the following benefits.

Less bagging through corners = better handling

Lower tyre temps. The thing that causes tyres to heat up is the sidewall flexing. The higher the tyre pressure, the stiffer the sidewall and the less flexing hence lower temps.

Increased resistance to puncturing. The more pressure you've got inside the tyre trying to get out, the more force you need from outside the tyre to puncture it.

Better wet weather traction. The higher pressure holds open the groves in the tread better allowing better water evacuation. Lower pressures result in the tread deforming and closing up the groves.

Better braking.

Longer tyre life due to lower tyre temps.

Better fuel economy.

There is nothing bad with running higher pressures. Only benefits. In fact, if everyone was dynamite on their tyre pressures and kept them nice and high, the roads would be a much safer place.

Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:30 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII V8 Fairmont Ghia

WA, Australia

update:

will try to get the fuel filter installed tomorrow, will swing past the mechanics and hope hes got 30 mins to squeese me in to change it...

on another note, fuel economy has now tipped 17.6L/100km!

gettin p****d off now!

2007 Steel BF Ghia MKII V8 - 19" GTP's + Superlows

Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

in regard to tyre preesures there were some good points made although i think that comments made were only directed at the likes of 17&18 inch wheels. 17,18inch and above diamater tyres have not only low profile sidewalls, but the wall rubber is also extremly thick making the tyre very rigid and extra pressure is needed to keep the tyre wearing evenly across the tread. Low pressure intheese type tyres (bellow 36-38psi) leaves the tyre running on the side walls or out side edges of the tread and not the centre but too much pressure wears the centre and not the edges. As for extra pressure making the tyres more puncture resistant not true, nails screws glass stones or what ever dont descriminate they go through anything old or new its just luck.As for pressures if your car has 14 or 15inch tyres not low profile then set them at 4-6psi above car makers spec say 34psi on a falcon or commondoor,16inch on same car 36-38psi, 17inch 38-42psi (I like to run 40psi) 18inch 40-45psi
This is only general rule of thum and does not take in the make as differnt brands react differently to pressure and conditions.

ef fairmont ghia 5.0L
classy cruiser

Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:09 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: TD Cortina

VIC, Australia

no offence intended at all but can I ask where you get your info?

CORTINA POWER!
1975 Ford TD Cortina. Fear the flames.

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:20 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I`ve been a tyre fitter now for fourteen years in different locations and cover all types of terrain and environment. Ive worked lawnmower tyres to 250 tonne dump truck tyres. Experiance has tought me not to take the manufactures word as gospel but look at application conditions and the make of tyre for a given purpose.No 2 tyres are the same.
I dont want to sound like some idiot carring on with crap Ive never been to a makers convention where they fill you full of there product and the bonus for me is ive only worked for indepents except for 10 months with Beaurepairs. After reading what others have said about tyres I wether there talking from experiance or something they have read or if its experiance. I only know what works for me.

ef fairmont ghia 5.0L
classy cruiser

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2