Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: What ecu do i need?
Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 07 BF mk2 E-gas wagon + eb 5.0

Power: 174 rwkw

SA, Australia

my car is running microtech but it is piggybacked into the std computer. i've been having trouble with the cold start and idling and it turns out the factory ecu is buggered. the coolant temp and idle up and a few other things are still being run from the factory ecu. the best option is for me to send the microtech off and get a chip installed in it so that i can run everything from the microtech and not be piggybacked, however the easiest option is to just replace the factory ecu. do i need to replace it with a eb v8 auto one or can i use any eb/d ecu as it is not controlling much at all.

eb v8: low loud and fast. just how a v8 should be. i guess the big question is, is it fast enough...

Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:43 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

because the microtech is controlling you fuel and timing (this is assumed, havent looked into the microtechs much), then the ECU which you choose is irrelevant as it won't be controlling anything.

I wouldn't personally assume that your ECU is buggered as that is a pretty rare occurance.

If you want just a complete standalone ECU, it is very easy to do with the early e series. Im running my Megasquirt completely standalone in a stock case. This controls everything, and uses all the factory sensors. I know yours is a V8, but it wouldn't be much different from mine. Also mines a manual which made things easier, but auto is just as easy, just means running the stock ECU for auto control only.

There is also a wide variety of aftermarket ECUs out there, spork did a review at the top of this forum, which covers pros and cons of most ecus.

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Cheap, fast and reliable.. choose 2.

Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

microtech needs to be sent away to be rechipped to enable idle control and cold start capability. this will enable the std comp to be thrown out but easier at this stage for me to jst swap factory ecu's. something in there is upsetting the voltages and throwing out the microtech settings for a lot of the sensors which are critical for idle control and cold start.

eb v8: low loud and fast. just how a v8 should be. i guess the big question is, is it fast enough...

Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:39 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

are you sharing sensors?

If so, are they wired in right?

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 3:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

i didn't choose microtech, it was how i bought it and the car ran fine when i bought it. idled like factory cold, hot or whatever. then it started cranking longer when cold but would still idle o.k. when fired up and then it lost idle altogether when cold. would idle but very very rough. car was at mechanic for over a week while he tried to diagnose what was wrong. everything is wired o.k. at this stage have discovered that when factory ecu is unplugged (or certain wires for controlling idle are cut) then all voltages and readings on microtech normalise. auto elec is chasing down another ecu to borrow to see if it is the same if another one is plugged in. if it is then i guess it is something else interfering with readings from sensors controlling idle eg coolant temp, air temp, tps etc etc.

Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 3:54 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

sounds strange... have you tried resetting your current ECU?

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 4:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

how do i do that. i would assume the auto electrician would've checked out that possibility although the battery has not been disconnected as when i picked up the car the clock and radio presets were all as i left them. is it just a case of disconnecting the battery for a period of time and then hooking it back up?

Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 4:06 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

yeah pretty much.

If you say that the idle controller is still somehow hooked up to the stock ECU, they learn things, and its maybe doing that.

The stock ECUs have a tendency to learn around chips and piggybacks. Needing a reset everynow and then.

Just a thought, but yeah, disconnect it for like 30 mins or so, start her back up, and see how it goes.

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 4:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: SF5 Forester

NSW, Australia

i was told to reset the ecu unplug battery leave off for a bit get in but your foot on the brake for about minutes to drain the remaining power out of the electrics and yeah i may be wrong.

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 4:10 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

lol... how would putting your foot on the brake affect anything?? Where's the circuit if the batterys disconnected?
I doubt that would make any difference at all.

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]