Fordmods Logo

what if its already 5speed 

Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Wed May 09, 2007 9:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

snap0964 wrote:
I wouldn't even bother with a manual ECU.

After tricking the ecu the car idled at 1100rpms and the revs always dropped slowly after revving it. With my manual ecu it idles at 750rpms and works perfect. So although the resistor trick was enough to get me out of trouble i would like to know how youve got it to run better than what i did.

Quote:
Check that it is between pins 30 and 46 (60 pin ECU). Engine off and on diagnostics will work with the transmission in neutral.

I did exactly this....

Posted: Wed May 09, 2007 11:09 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

FordFairmont wrote:
After tricking the ecu the car idled at 1100rpms and the revs always dropped slowly after revving it. With my manual ecu it idles at 750rpms and works perfect. So although the resistor trick was enough to get me out of trouble i would like to know how youve got it to run better than what i did.
I haven't told you anything you don't already know. The above certainly sounds like there's no resistor installed at all.
You need to confirm the resistor has been placed between the correct 2 pins - I've quoted 60 pin ECU info - if you have an EF the pin nos will be different.
Wiring colours will vary also, so be careful of that. Confirm the resistor value also, as the tolerance may be too close to the low range of the neutral scale (6.5k ohm).

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Wed May 09, 2007 11:20 am 
Getting Side Ways

I will get a picture of the plug with the resistors i was using and see if ive done anything wrong here.....

Posted: Wed May 09, 2007 11:32 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: eb2xr6

New Zealand

ive made the plug up like the picture..i didnt know u had to unplug one of the netural switch plugs :? when i try run diognostis with it runnin the light and beep on my diognostic tool just stay on,,then if i put it in gear it stop,,but not diognose,,,..whoeva can sort my crap out gets $100 :lol:

save petrol and reduce congestion....bury all holden

Posted: Wed May 09, 2007 11:57 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

4nik8 wrote:
ive made the plug up like the picture..i didnt know u had to unplug one of the netural switch plugs :? when i try run diognostis with it runnin the light and beep on my diognostic tool just stay on,,then if i put it in gear it stop,,but not diognose,,,..whoeva can sort my crap out gets $100 :lol:
You can save yourself $100 by taking on board what's been said, it's your choice. . . . . .

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Wed May 09, 2007 12:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Heres a blurry picture of the resistor mod i did that was mentioned in the Tech Document.

Car is a 95 EF Fairmont

Basically i soldered a 1.5k resistor between a Light-Brown with Red strip wire and a Solid Yellow wire.

Then i soldered a 6.8k resistor between a Solid Violet wire and (i couldnt find the Purple/Green Strip wire) so i used a Green/Purple strip wire instead. So i couldnt follow the document exactly cause their was no Purple/Green strip wires.

The only remaining wires on the plug are as follows:

Orange/White strip
Orange/Yellow strip
Pink/Yellow strip
Pink/Orange strip
Pink/Green strip
Yellow/Green strip
Solid Green
Solid Light Blue

????????

Posted: Wed May 09, 2007 3:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ok, going through the workshop manual i found that all the remaining wires plus the Green/Purple strip wire i used are for the Autobox solenoids.

Thats leaves one mysterious Pink/Green strip wire that isnt mentioned anywhere. Maybe thats the one that needs to have the 6.8k resistor?

Even though i already have the manual ecu running sweet will try that later with the auto ecu and see how she goes.

Posted: Wed May 09, 2007 8:03 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

"Car is a 95 EF Fairmont "

Good to know what car we're dealing with.

6.8-7k resistor goes to ECU pins 64(pink/green) and pin 91(black/white).
1.2-1.5k resistor goes to ECU pins 37(yellow) and pin 91(black/white).

Don't rely on wiring colours solely, as they're subject to change.

Physically check with a meter from the ECU plug, to make sure all is correct.

Posted: Wed May 09, 2007 8:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ok found the culprit, what i thought it was.

All along i had the wrong wire from the plug soldered to the 6.8k resistor.

The Tech doc said Purple/Green strip wire, but mine had none so i used the Green/Purple strip wire instead. Thats why it was idling so high.

So i tried the Pink/Green strip wire that wasnt mentioned in the Tech Doc or the workshop manual and it idled sweet but still had the problem of revings hanging for a few seconds after a quick rev.

So i guess everyone that does the resistor trick should note the wires might be a different colour..... or you could do it from the ecu pins as previously mentioned.

And snap0964, i know i prolly should of mentioned what car i had earlier, but a quick look to the side of my posts states what car i drive :wink:

Posted: Wed May 09, 2007 11:40 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

FordFairmont wrote:
And snap0964, i know i prolly should of mentioned what car i had earlier, but a quick look to the side of my posts states what car i drive :wink:
Funny how it wasn't there earlier in this thread . . . :o

Posted: Thu May 10, 2007 10:04 am 
Stock as a Rock

New Zealand

i took one of the netural switch plugs off and ther was no change,, :? the idea of a switchable pot to send requried voltage sounds like a good idea.,

Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 9:58 am 
Stock as a Rock

New Zealand

:oops: turns out that i was sold the wrong resistor in the right package :? got ahold of 6.8k and ...it works :oops: altho the idle is still fkkd ..thanks for your input guys

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2