what if its already 5speed 

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: what if its already 5speed
Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:17 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: eb2xr6

New Zealand

ok wel el engine is in and i put the el xr ecu in ,added the wires ..before trying it i put the resistors in..and after gettin someone to squezzzee sum codes out in KOEO test ,it spat a 522 at me,,the netural start switch,the book tells me that u cant do the engine running test unless u fix the 522,therfore i cant get to the source of my feces idle :evil: does any1 know if it matters that its alredy a 5speed when trying to trick an auto ecu,?? i thought about gettin a new netural switch and trying that but i dont wanna do that and have nuffin change :roll: ..............thanks

save petrol and reduce congestion....bury all holden

Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

Which gearbox wiring did you use, the 5spd harness or the auto harness?

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:21 pm 
Stock as a Rock

New Zealand

its factory manual,,i assume its the same excpt the netural start switch and the wires that plug in at the firewall plug and go down to the auto

Posted: Tue May 01, 2007 12:53 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

4nik8 wrote:
its factory manual,,i assume its the same excpt the netural start switch and the wires that plug in at the firewall plug and go down to the auto

Can i ask why you would be trying to use the Auto EL XR ecu?

I personally have a EB Series 2 Fairmont Ghia, i converted it to manual, and used the ED GLI Manual ECU that come from the donor vehicle, along with the manual gearbox wiring loom. It was easy getting it running properly.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Tue May 01, 2007 9:52 am 
Stock as a Rock

New Zealand

im using el ecu cos i got worked el engine in my eb,,i noticed in the manual conversion thread u said something bout the netural switch stil being plugged in and shorting the wires out,,,what do u mean? have i missed a step out ??...ive been putting up with the eb ecu for a year and i realy want to get el ecu working in it.,ive got two elxr6 auto ecus and tried both thinking that it was the ecu :cry:

Posted: Tue May 01, 2007 11:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

4nik8 wrote:
im using el ecu cos i got worked el engine in my eb,,i noticed in the manual conversion thread u said something bout the netural switch stil being plugged in and shorting the wires out,,,what do u mean? have i missed a step out ??...ive been putting up with the eb ecu for a year and i realy want to get el ecu working in it.,ive got two elxr6 auto ecus and tried both thinking that it was the ecu :cry:

It wasn't me saying about shorting the netural, just to get that straight.

If you are using the Auto ecu, you will need to use an auto gearbox loom to modify it how the other thread states with the resistors. Something that may help you is this document on the ECU pinout. http://www.fordmods.com/forums/documents.php?doc=41

Read this guide, http://www.fordmods.com/forums/uploads/guide_863.pdf specifically the section on electrical. It will tell you what you have to do to use the Auto ecu with a T5 manual gearbox.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Tue May 08, 2007 1:00 pm 
Stock as a Rock

New Zealand

thanks for the links but it STILL refuses to go into diognostic mode,,i cant set base idle...,i keep getting "522" FKKKN START SWITCH "grrrrrr" i put my resistors on to the plug like the doco,, and nuffn differnt,,... it does settle but touch throttle and its all over the place again ,,up n down up n down.. :evil: i guees the 2nd part of the doco where u make a manual loom to plug in neturl switch etc i dont need cos its already ther...iv just about had enuf and ready to pull the dam engine out n smash my head against it screaming "6 fkn grand down the toilet dammit" :cry: .........surely sumone with a manual has put a auto ecu in n had it work out ...cos iv bloody had it..

Posted: Tue May 08, 2007 1:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Even with the auto ecu 'tricked'' you still wont be able to run diagnostics.

Posted: Tue May 08, 2007 1:18 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

FordFairmont wrote:
Even with the auto ecu 'tricked'' you still wont be able to run diagnostics.

And why can't you? Mine works fine!

Posted: Tue May 08, 2007 1:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

I did the resistor mod from the tech docs and while it pumped out codes with the car not running (most were solenoids, park, neutral etc.), when trying to get codes with the car running in diagnostic mode it had a shocking idle and stalled a few times and pumped out one code telling me to put it in Park (which is needed to go into dignostic mode).

Prolly should of tried the codes before doing the conversion i guess

Posted: Tue May 08, 2007 1:38 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Did you use a fixed resistor or a pot.

If you want to do tests, just turn the pot to the park voltage, do the tests and turn it back later... Simple.

Posted: Tue May 08, 2007 1:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Just a 6.8k and 1.5k.

Doesnt matter now cause i found myself a manual ecu but thanks for the info about the pot, what voltage is it for Park?

Posted: Tue May 08, 2007 9:12 pm 
Stock as a Rock

New Zealand

mine will run the same weather the resistors r in or not...how sposd to set base timing etc if cant get into diognostic mode?...id rather have a manual computer but i cant find one..had to go out and do a few spirited u-turns to keep away the thoughts of buying an auto car...it goes well just gettin it to settle the hard part :x

Posted: Wed May 09, 2007 12:57 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

arm79 wrote:
Did you use a fixed resistor or a pot.

If you want to do tests, just turn the pot to the park voltage, do the tests and turn it back later... Simple.

A brilliant idea, and maybe one that needs to be added to the techo doc that was typed up on the conversion.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Wed May 09, 2007 12:58 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Most people I find who have problems with resistor tricked Auto ECU's haven't listened to what people have advised them, or they haven't followed the tech documents to the letter.
As a result, people will blame the Auto ECU - sure, if you can get a manual ECU (and for a cheap price), then fit it, but the auto ECU will do the job, but bear in mind it was set up for running a torque converter, instead of a flywheel and clutch.
The only things you miss out with running a tricked Auto ECU, are lean cruise mode, and diagnostics on thermo fans won't work - all due to the ECU only seeing transmission neutral, and not in gear.
Having said that - most users wouldn't notice any difference.

Both my cars run tricked Auto ECU's - EL LPG ECU's which are auto only, so no manual ECU. Given the performance and fuel economy improvements on LPG using these ECU's, I wouldn't even bother with a manual ECU.

FordFairmont wrote:
I did the resistor mod from the tech docs and while it pumped out codes with the car not running (most were solenoids, park, neutral etc.), when trying to get codes with the car running in diagnostic mode it had a shocking idle and stalled a few times and pumped out one code telling me to put it in Park (which is needed to go into dignostic mode).
Sounds like you haven't connected the 6.8k resistor properly. Check that it is between pins 30 and 46 (60 pin ECU). Engine off and on diagnostics will work with the transmission in neutral.
One thing I've found with LPG ECU's is that engine on diagnostics can only be performed in petrol mode.

4nik8 wrote:
thanks for the links but it STILL refuses to go into diognostic mode,,i cant set base idle...,i keep getting "522" FKKKN START SWITCH "grrrrrr" i put my resistors on to the plug like the doco,, and nuffn differnt,,... it does settle but touch throttle and its all over the place again ,,up n down up n down.. :evil: i guees the 2nd part of the doco where u make a manual loom to plug in neturl switch etc i dont need cos its already ther...iv just about had enuf and ready to pull the dam engine out n smash my head against it screaming "6 fkn grand down the toilet dammit" :cry: .........surely sumone with a manual has put a auto ecu in n had it work out ...cos iv bloody had it..
Yeah I have - my XH is a factory manual.
ARM79 (Adrian) has already explained to you in another post what your issue is - listen to him, he knows what he's talking about.
Get under the car, disconnect one of the terminals to the T5 neutral switch (top g/box front).

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next