which haltech 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: which haltech
Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:15 am 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: ef XR8 / xe fairmont ghia 393.

SA, Australia

ok guys after getting myself all exited and purchasing my capa eliminator i spoke to a fella at kpm in adelaide and he seems to think my car is to modded as far as plugs etc goes. so he said rather than spend time trying to tune in a capa eliminator and potentially spending time on the dyno that mite not get us anywhere i should get my hands on a haltech.
however he didnt stipulate which one...
so after having a look at specs etc... i have come to the conclusion that the haltech interceptor is prolly the one im going to need as i think it is the only one that reads maf... etc etc. am i correct... i am a bit of a newby on this topic...

also if the interceptor is the 1 im in need of. is 1700 dollars including install and dyno tuning a preety good price. cheers...

Ef xr8. Charged 9psi, tw 170 heads,track heat intakes,1.72 rockers, f303 cam, custom plazma man/ rapid cooler, 60lb injectors, tko600, sct eliminator, aeromotive fuel system.

393 xe ghia stage 5 als raceglides c4,9" full spool 31spline moser axles. Will be looking at running high 9s low 10's

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

I highly doubt it is the interceptor. That is a big step down from an edit, similar to a unichip. Aftermarket ECU's usually have an internal MAP sensor so you can get rid of the MAF all together.

Id suggest giving them a call and asking what he wants to put in.

Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas

Post subject: when u say big step down from a edit what is it that u mean.
Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:01 pm 
Tyre Shredder

SA, Australia

when u say big step down from an edit what do u mean... what are your reccomendations.

do u think my mods are past the capabilites of the edit...

i think he said the problem is that i used au injectors. and just had ev6 injector plugs spliced into the loom... i diidnt think it would make a difference but i dnt know all that much...im learning... the dude that was gonna sell me the interceptor said it would be perfect for what im doing... and i thort 1700 tuned and everything was a good price... once again am i wrong.... lol :?

Ef xr8. Charged 9psi, tw 170 heads,track heat intakes,1.72 rockers, f303 cam, custom plazma man/ rapid cooler, 60lb injectors, tko600, sct eliminator, aeromotive fuel system.

393 xe ghia stage 5 als raceglides c4,9" full spool 31spline moser axles. Will be looking at running high 9s low 10's

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

The interceptor is not a stand alone ecu. It is wired in between the engines sensors and your factory ecu and adjusts what the ecu thinks it is happening to make it do something different. An edit reprograms the ecu so that it does what you want using the proper sensor inputs. The problem with the edit is that it is still a relatively new product and is much harder to tune. I am guessing that he wants to sell you the haltech because thats what they have the most experience and they will probably get you a better tune with it.

Regardless I would try to steer clear of the interceptor (not a fan of tuning ecu's in this way). There are other options as well, for the same price you could get an EMS Stinger installed or for a little extra go an EMS 8860. Wolf ecu's are good as well but I am not sure who in adelaide sells and tunes them.

Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas

Post subject: ok
Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:44 pm 
Tyre Shredder

SA, Australia

ok i spoke to tim at kpm motorsport and he reckons that we will be able to tune the eliminator in... but if in the event of having trouble with it... wat then... sounds like ems are highly reccomended.... i will try the capa eliminator. and go for the edit. as i heard that the haltech could cost up to 2700 dollars in tuning and programming etc...

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]