Fordmods Logo

Why should I fit an aftermarket ECU? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: Why should I fit an aftermarket ECU?
Posted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:24 am 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

Hey guys, I'm a noob at EFI systems so bear with me..

I've just fitted new extractors, a high flow cat and lowered diff gearing (3.7:1) onto my EF Fairmont 5sp conversion, and I can really notice a difference in power. I took it to get a tune up, and the guy would not shut up about how much more awesome and how much better tuned it would be if I fitted one of these Haltech systems. It'l be the best 3k you've ever spent, he says. And it will give my car so much more hawspowarz he reckons

What I want to know is.. will it? I mean I know I need a computer upgrade that's reprogramable if I regrind the camshaft.. But will it make a d**k of difference with the standard camshaft?

E-series

Post subject: Re: Why should I fit an aftermarket ECU?
Posted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:37 am 
Smokin em up

TAS, Australia

change anything on a car, and the factory ecu becomes a compromise, eg. your extractors work, the ecu see's a leaner mix and trys to richen thing up,you need some from of change

some members on here are flashing chips to convert the ford ecu and getting good results

i my self have a wolf 3d v500 ,cheaper than the haltech, more intergrated,more features

ring robbie at wolf , have a chat, tell him paul mayne put ya on to him , great bloke

NC2 Fairlane AU2 Intech 4.0 Wolf V500 ECU Accel 500cc Injectors Eaton M90 Blower MPx Porting 75mm Mustang TB Intercooler Holley 255lph EL XR6 Rear End 3.45 LSD Duel Fuel lots more.
Long and Very Nice

Posted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:41 am 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

Ok so it's not so much a matter of ECU=horsepower, more like the fancy ECU will be able to make better use of other non-factory mods.

I've done a bit of homework since I posted this and I can kind understand the need for a better ECU.

The wolf system does look like the shot at this point as oposed to Haltech - Your damn right about the cheaper part. I think my guy was just trying to push the Haltech to get his sponsorship/commission..

However I can't justify the 2200 nuggets until I've done a few other mods though.. maybe after some headwork and a camshaft regrind.

Would I be right it saying, if for eg I bought the wolf V500 and then replaced the motor with a bigger/more cylinders one (or for that matter replaced the car), I would not need to get a different piece of hardware, I could just re-tune it and get different wiring looms etc right...?

E-series

Posted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:11 am 
Site Admin

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Just remember that you're not getting your full value for money out of any work you've done to your engine while you use the factory ECU. Many claim to do 'Factory ECU Safe' mods where the car still runs ok - but there is much more power, torque and even economy to be had.

You need to make sure that there is the perfect amount of fuel for combustion, and that the charge is ignited at the perfect moment for maximum power. The factory ECU does a fair job of this at stock, and with some very minor modifications, but remember anything less than the above scenario and you're really just wasting your time.

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Posted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:55 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: XR6

NSW, Australia

waggin is right...

I install Microtech and did wiring all my self in EB.. coz i bought AU2 VCT XR6 motor and i could'nt mods AU wiring loom with ECU (pain :x lots of work) in EB bay changing all wiring not worth!

standard cam with microtech @ best fine tune did push aorund 150rwkw

one more, if you know electronics well then just buy parts aftermarket ecu and install it your self and you only paid for retune @ dyno. and if you know nothing about elec then leave it! :?

Car Body: EBII 92 XR6
Engine: AUII 2001 VCT XR6
Gearbox: EF T5 Manual
Diff: 3:45 LSD
Cams: Standard
ECU: MicroTech LT10S
Dyno: 149.8rwkw (200.8rwhp)

Posted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:40 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: NC FAIRLANE

NSW, Australia

I reccomend using the ECU that your local tuner specializes in.

Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Boxcar Love

QLD, Australia

Factory ecu with a J3 programmable chip for the win.

Commodore australia's favorite car??? What a load of s**t

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]