Fordmods Logo

Will a chiptorque help me? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: Will a chiptorque help me?
Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: 97 EL XR6

Power: 162 rwkw

NSW, Australia

hey guys im currently running a cam which can only run with the isc disconnected and idle speed bumped up, otherwise the car will not idle or revs hang...

if i was to go along the lines of getting a chiptorque, would this rectify the the idle and allow me to plug the isc back in? or would i still have to run it without? i ask this because cold starts are a b**ch!

and chiptorque wouldnt answer my question...

07 BF MKII XR6T
310rwkw @ 13psi - Tuned By CMS

Posted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:42 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

anyone?

07 BF MKII XR6T

Posted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

i know alot of people in here with lumpy cams have had to run them with the isc disconected, has anyone been able to reconect it after installing a chiptorque?

07 BF MKII XR6T

Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:51 am 
Tyre Shredder

New Zealand

hey fast xr i have the same problem and ive posted a similar question i didnt get any response ; so for what little use it will be heres what i know ive poted my heads cam upped CR to 9.4 mines only a small cam idles ok (lumpy) for a couple of minutes then it has a big rolling surge and cuts out ive tried adjusting tps had no affect i thought it was running rich but after running it on a dyno its really lean at idle and apparently every 2 min approx 02 sensors tell eec things arent right and then send fuel which causes the surge and cut out
im not sure about chiptorque i think its a piggyback, but with a flash tuner you can adjust your air/fuel ratio right through the range which i think is what you need and a custom tune but its expensive 2 grand over here

there is a little gadget made over here which wires into your MAF which allows you to alter the amount of fuel by incr or lowering the voltage from the MAF its pretty crude and has limits and youve gotta do it on a dyno i think theyre about 180$ +dyno hope this helps :?

Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:15 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

my a/f ratios are ok, and when the car has warmed up for about a minute it settles down do a consistant idle, all be it very lumpity lump... but im ok with lumpy!
just on start up it surges from 1000 rpm to 400 rpm and comes close to stalling, and sometimes it does stall, if i bump up the idle speed it starts fine, but then when it warms up it idles like an animal and wants to shake you out of the car! haha

i can live with it short term but its something i want to fix.
yeah a chiptorque is like an off the shelf edit, and they do have programs for big cams, and from what i have heard they sound like a good product, but the question is will it be able to fix my probelm of plugging the isc back in and allowing me to have good cold starts????

fully tuned aftermarket would be ideal, but out of my range at the moment...

07 BF MKII XR6T

Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:32 am 
Tyre Shredder

New Zealand

presume the isc is working ok and MAF wires are clean, i started muckin round with my idle speed and it just seems to upset everything with your tps so i went back to adjusting to the correct idle speed reconnect isc then check and adjust the tps so you dont have any more than 1 volt and that was the best i could get mine, it is slowly gettin better as the computer learns around it but its taken around 2000ks :? good luck

Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

yeah ive also played around with the voltage and ive got it as good as i can get it at the moment, the revs dont hang at all now, its just the cold starts that it struggles with, if i could some how bump up the idle speed another 50 rpm without upsetting it, it would solve my problem, but easier said than done...

07 BF MKII XR6T

Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

Have you tried putting a restrictor plate under the ISC?

Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas

Post subject: Re: Will a chiptorque help me?
Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:07 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: AU Wagon

NSW, Australia

FAST-XR wrote:
hey guys im currently running a cam which can only run with the isc disconnected and idle speed bumped up, otherwise the car will not idle or revs hang...

and chiptorque wouldnt answer my question...

You probably told Chiptorque you had a "whatever Stage 3 cam" which won't help them help you. Get the profile or part no and ask again. Ask to speak to Lachlan.

If they don't have an off the shelf tune for your car and cam, Silverwater Automotive Services http://www.dynotuning.com.au can tune your car in real time on the dyno and burn a Chiptorque chip for you. This is probably a better option as the tune will be specific for your car, and they're not all that far from you.

The SCT Flash unit from CAPA is another option (again real-time tuned on a dyno). There probably won't be much difference in price between that and a custom-tuned Chiptorque.

BTW, WTF is isc?

AU1.5 Wagon, Raptor ProStreet kit, Pacemaker 4499's with 3" collector, 3" metal cat, 3" pipe, Pex BSO660 & BSO439, BA brakes, Sprintgas mixer LPG system, Airod variable-venturi mixer... stealth FTW Sniper tuned!

To be updated... soon!

Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:46 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 5 Star Boxcar

NSW, Australia

Idle speed controller

Kezz's 5sp Box Car ---> RPD enhanced with a bunch of other stuff

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]