Fordmods Logo

xg outback fuel tank enquiry 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: xg outback fuel tank enquiry
Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:27 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

Can anyone enlighten me to the workings of the 2 tanks in my newly aquired Xg outback. I'd like to know what the 1/2 switch on the dash does, when to flick one to the other. Does the fuel guage read differently between tanks, as so far I've not seen any difference. How much fuel does each tank hold. Can I fill one seperate to the other. etc. etc. Any info much apreciated. Thanks.

Ex-wife moved 300k,s away - Heaven

Post subject: Re: xg outback fuel tank enquiry
Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:59 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: XH Ute

WA, Australia

tdg61 wrote:
Can anyone enlighten me to the workings of the 2 tanks in my newly aquired Xg outback. I'd like to know what the 1/2 switch on the dash does, when to flick one to the other. Does the fuel guage read differently between tanks, as so far I've not seen any difference. How much fuel does each tank hold. Can I fill one seperate to the other. etc. etc. Any info much apreciated. Thanks.

I've got an XH Outback ute with the two tanks. With the switch in the out position (1), it runs the pump in the main tank and draws fuel from this one. In the depressed position (2), the pump in the auxilliary tank runs and fuel is drawn from it. When changiing from one tank to the other on the move, it takes ages for the gauge to respond and show that tank. When stopped, turning the ignition off and on again speeds up the process and the gauge shows the balance in each tank selected. That said, sometimes for no reason it will draw from both tanks similtaneously.

I haven't got my user manual with me at the moment, but the main is like a standard ute tank and the auxilliary a bit smaller. I will get the exact figures if you want. I can get 1000k out of the two tanks when driven sensibly

Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:49 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

Thanks very much for that info. I've since found out all up i have 126 litres on board when full. The guage doesn't seem to move independantly betwwen tanks, so I'd say they have been wired together at some stage, which caused my confusion. One day I'll lift the cargo floor and sus it. Thanks again

Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:00 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

A bit late, but from memory:
-main tank 68L, auxiliary tank 58L.
-each tank has a sender and fuel pump, operated by the dash switch - gauge reading takes around 15mins or so to change over due to the buffering of the instrument cluster circuitry. Fuel lines have solenoids to change over tank feed - so either tank 1 or 2 feeding, not both feeding simultaneously.
- fuel fill is by gravity - both tanks have a connector neck between them.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF Gli Ghia, XP Fairmont

WA, Australia

I'd love to squeeze an aux tank into my ef :)

Owning 1 of 67612 EF GLi Sedans made
FACT: "Chuck Norris owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker despite him holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno."

Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: 2007

NSW, Australia

Happy wrote:
I have a 68L aux tank in mine for when the LPG runs out :)

BF Fairmont Ghia Series II update.
GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___
|_/--\'_|'__|_/--\_[]IIII[]
_( o ) )_____( o ) )=o=) )__

Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:42 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: XH Ute

WA, Australia

tdg61 wrote:
Thanks very much for that info. I've since found out all up i have 126 litres on board when full. The guage doesn't seem to move independantly betwwen tanks, so I'd say they have been wired together at some stage, which caused my confusion. One day I'll lift the cargo floor and sus it. Thanks again

Glad to help. When you have the cargo floor up..Just check that the snap on connectors for all the fuel lines are secure on both pumps I had one come off on a long trip..Managed to fill the entire under floor area with 98PULP... Was travelling in to a head wind at the time which i presumed was blowing the fuel smell away. When i finally noticed the gauge on zero and stopped i nearly sh** myself. Forty degree day in the middle of nowhere. Just had to stand back and wait till it stopped running out through the floor. Had a full load of gear so couldn't get the cargo floor area up. Eventually got towed 100k and fixed it . Contacted Ford who didn't want to know... What's new.

Cheers

Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF Gli Ghia, XP Fairmont

WA, Australia

twason wrote:
Happy wrote:
I have a 68L aux tank in mine for when the LPG runs out :)

taking up space in yer boot :P

Owning 1 of 67612 EF GLi Sedans made
FACT: "Chuck Norris owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker despite him holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno."

Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:15 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

Thanks for all the info, a mate recently told me that his ex- ed taxi had dual fuel, and took nearly an hour to register the different tanks. I'm thinking of fitting an lpg system as well. Crikey with full tanks I won't have to fill up for 3 months

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]