Fordmods Logo

12.5:1 hi comp build 

 

Page 4 of 8 [ 109 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

 
 Post subject: Re: 12.5:1 hi comp build
Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 38

Posts: 1320

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Ride: 66 Coupe

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

if your going to tunnel hone it you might as well prep an au block, and take advantage of the cross bolted mains
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: 12.5:1 hi comp build
Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:32 pm 
Parts Gopher
Offline

Age: 27

Posts: 90

Joined: 19th Jun 2011

Ride: Ford Ed Xr6

Location: Mooloolaba
QLD, Australia

I spoke to my mechanic who does speedway engined(ford) and he said there's no noticeable gain in improvement between the two blocks, he said under boost with hi hotsrpower application then possibly but cant say for sure as he hasn't handled anything that's not n/a as far as i6 are concerned. I found that hard to believe..and besides I have a el and ef block so I thought I might as well atleast take advantage of the ef crank atleast. He also said I should salvage or buy new a windage tray from the au said they work well and supply extra stiffnes through the most vonarouble part of the caps(I'm guessing he meant cap walk??)

 

_________________

Poly green Ed xr6-new n/a motor on the way.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: 12.5:1 hi comp build
Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:42 pm 
Parts Gopher
Offline

Age: 27

Posts: 90

Joined: 19th Jun 2011

Ride: Ford Ed Xr6

Location: Mooloolaba
QLD, Australia

Getting my crank lightened approx 6-8 kg 600 buks also found alloy flywheels 6.1kg for 500 buks, block should be ready in couple weeks.

 

_________________

Poly green Ed xr6-new n/a motor on the way.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: 12.5:1 hi comp build
Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:34 pm 
Parts Gopher
Offline
User avatar

Age: 25

Posts: 50

Joined: 20th Apr 2010

Ride: xh falcon ute

Location: sunshine coast
QLD, Australia

meh... just boost it :lol:

 

_________________

XH falcon, GT3582, tuned length manifold, turbosmart 48mm gate, 3inch stainless exhaust, Ported head, Custom grind surecam, turbosmart fpr800, deatch werks 300lph fuel pump, siemens 60lb injectors. Turbo smart vee port BOV. microtech lt10.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: 12.5:1 hi comp build
Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:52 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator
Offline
User avatar

Age: 39

Posts: 7331

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

Location: ɹǝpun uʍop
NSW, Australia

Keep pouring money into it, present the finished product and put the doubters to shame. Should have started with an AU block and dumped a huffer on the side of it. I would have done that. I've done big builds and the difference between stock and build it not that much, a blown motor surpasses a built NA motor anytime.

 

_________________

Image

I have a car.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: 12.5:1 hi comp build
Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:34 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 38

Posts: 1320

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Ride: 66 Coupe

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

theres no advantage in lightening the rotating assembly, if anything it will give adverse effects on a long stroke motor

and i think your speedway mate is contradicting himself:
Quote:
I spoke to my mechanic who does speedway engined(ford) and he said there's no noticeable gain in improvement between the two blocks,

Quote:
He also said I should salvage or buy new a windage tray from the au said they work well and supply extra stiffnes through the most vonarouble part of the caps(I'm guessing he meant cap walk??)


Why did I suggest using an au block ?
Quote:
take advantage of the cross bolted mains
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: 12.5:1 hi comp build
Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:29 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 29

Posts: 4182

Joined: 30th May 2005

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

Location: BrisVegas
QLD, Australia

66 coupe wrote:
theres no advantage in lightening the rotating assembly, if anything it will give adverse effects on a long stroke motor

and i think your speedway mate is contradicting himself:
Quote:
I spoke to my mechanic who does speedway engined(ford) and he said there's no noticeable gain in improvement between the two blocks,

Quote:
He also said I should salvage or buy new a windage tray from the au said they work well and supply extra stiffnes through the most vonarouble part of the caps(I'm guessing he meant cap walk??)


Why did I suggest using an au block ?
Quote:
take advantage of the cross bolted mains


It just happens to be why I will be using an AU block when I build a bottom end for my Turbo NC. The cross bolted mains make a big difference, along with the crank girdle.....

 

_________________

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

51TER - DL LTD. Stock.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: 12.5:1 hi comp build
Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:58 am 
Parts Gopher
Offline

Age: 27

Posts: 90

Joined: 19th Jun 2011

Ride: Ford Ed Xr6

Location: Mooloolaba
QLD, Australia

Modified production guys have 11 kgs off their standard crank and 3kg flywheel+clutch assembly. They use standard au rods and acl pistons, one guys making 311hp and over 1000pounds of torque with this setup.

 

_________________

Poly green Ed xr6-new n/a motor on the way.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: 12.5:1 hi comp build
Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:01 am 
Parts Gopher
Offline

Age: 27

Posts: 90

Joined: 19th Jun 2011

Ride: Ford Ed Xr6

Location: Mooloolaba
QLD, Australia

xhfalcon wrote:
meh... just boost it :lol:

Haha just coz your on p"s and running turbo doesn't mean I will be :p. Good luck with tuesday

 

_________________

Poly green Ed xr6-new n/a motor on the way.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: 12.5:1 hi comp build
Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 38

Posts: 1320

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Ride: 66 Coupe

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

JayEdXr6 wrote:
Modified production guys have 11 kgs off their standard crank and 3kg flywheel+clutch assembly. They use standard au rods and acl pistons, one guys making 311hp and over 1000pounds of torque with this setup.

Ask them what rpm they need to launch at to avoid stalling the motor.
Its all good on a motor that stays over 4000rpm all day long but you need to have something practical for the street
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: 12.5:1 hi comp build
Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 659

Joined: 14th Apr 2006

Ride: EF Fairmont Sedan

Power: 180 rwkw

Location: Ferntree Gully
VIC, Australia

JayEdXr6 wrote:
Getting my crank lightened approx 6-8 kg 600 buks also found alloy flywheels 6.1kg for 500 buks, block should be ready in couple weeks.

Reducing weight of the rotating mass can have an adverse effect to top end power - sure it will spin up fast - 60 foots will be great but you will lose MPH at the top end.

 

_________________

PROEF 13.46 @ 105.78mph - 1994 Ford Fairmont EF NA 6cyl Man 3.9 diff Sedan
Stock Fuel Pump, 29lb Injectors, JMM Street Series Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, 205rwkw

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: 12.5:1 hi comp build
Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:17 am 
Parts Gopher
Offline

Age: 27

Posts: 90

Joined: 19th Jun 2011

Ride: Ford Ed Xr6

Location: Mooloolaba
QLD, Australia

I was unaware about the loss of topspeed I was under the impression that topspeeds would be greater, I'll re think about lightening the flywheel and crank. if I was gonna do it I wasn't gonna go as extreme as shedding 20kg like they do, more like 11-12 kg but I might leave them both standard.

 

_________________

Poly green Ed xr6-new n/a motor on the way.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: 12.5:1 hi comp build
Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:11 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 25

Posts: 4599

Joined: 30th Aug 2010

Ride: BF XR6,

Location: NEWCASTLE
NSW, Australia

JayEdXr6 wrote:
I was unaware about the loss of topspeed I was under the impression that topspeeds would be greater, I'll re think about lightening the flywheel and crank. if I was gonna do it I wasn't gonna go as extreme as shedding 20kg like they do, more like 11-12 kg but I might leave them both standard.

we touched on this topic briefly in tafe when i did automotive mechanic s**t.
the weight will be good down low due to it being able to be turned easyier to start off, you will notice it on hills when driving the car will lose its momentum easier and you will need more pedal to keep the car going

 

_________________

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: 12.5:1 hi comp build
Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:19 am 
Parts Gopher
Offline

Age: 27

Posts: 90

Joined: 19th Jun 2011

Ride: Ford Ed Xr6

Location: Mooloolaba
QLD, Australia

bry40l wrote:
JayEdXr6 wrote:
I was unaware about the loss of topspeed I was under the impression that topspeeds would be greater, I'll re think about lightening the flywheel and crank. if I was gonna do it I wasn't gonna go as extreme as shedding 20kg like they do, more like 11-12 kg but I might leave them both standard.

we touched on this topic briefly in tafe when i did automotive mechanic s**t.
the weight will be good down low due to it being able to be turned easyier to start off, you will notice it on hills when driving the car will lose its momentum easier and you will need more pedal to keep the car going


Yer that makes sense too me. So 0-100 times would be increased due to the motor being able to turn the wheels alot quicker but at the same time I loose lots of torque because the motor wants to spin down so quickly. Would 4.1:1 diff help for a street application( already have them) or do you think I should steer clear or lightening crank and just stick with the light flywheel, pistons and connecting rods. Wouldnt a light rotating assembly be what you want for 1/4 mile times. I know all the American 8's run them (jegs) Meh wish I was on opens

 

_________________

Poly green Ed xr6-new n/a motor on the way.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: 12.5:1 hi comp build
Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 25

Posts: 4599

Joined: 30th Aug 2010

Ride: BF XR6,

Location: NEWCASTLE
NSW, Australia

you could probably lighten it a little bit and find a nice gain down low without too much top end, will have to speak with someone whpo has experience though, i know f**k all about the size of the effect it will have

 

_________________

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 4 of 8  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 31 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:24 am All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names