Fordmods Logo

12.5:1 hi comp build 

Page 1 of 8 [ 109 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Post subject: 12.5:1 hi comp build
Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:55 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Ford Ed Xr6

QLD, Australia

Hey I'm new to this forum so I'm still trying to figure out how to do certain things eg post pics??

Any way I've started pulling an ef block down, ready to send to Brisbane for bore/hone, deck, grind caps, align hone crank tunnel blah blah, get crank re linished etc

My plans are to purchase a set of jmms 12.5 to 1 race pistons. There a full floating piston so the rod needs to be slightly modified on the small end. If anyone hasnt heard about these there a aluminum very light weight race piston with massive valve reliefs for some very large cam applications. $1450.......I know but 12.5 to 1 race engine with a 250@50 cam.....worth it.

The head im using is a 94ab and I'm using 1.8 rockers and 7mm valves and obviously the funny shaped el/au springs. It will be flowed to the cam.

All fully balanced ofcourse still deciding on intake manifold and injectors. Computers a haltech platinum.

I'm chasing 300 rwhp

Any imput appreciated

Poly green Ed xr6-new n/a motor on the way.

Post subject: Re: 12.5:1 hi comp build
Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: XH Ute / AU3 V8 Wagon

QLD, Australia

If your getting a custom piston anyway, look at using the Scat BA rods, 4340 H-beam, ARP bolts, etc. Much better than a reco'd stock rod, and a little bit longer, so you can use an even shorter / lighter piston. JE make a nice one for that application, provided you ask the right people....

Also, change to an ARP head stud rather than those crap replacement head bolts.

Good luck.
8-)

Yes, I own a Ute. No, I won't help you move!

EL Wagon Build Thread http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/sooty72-s-ef-futura-wagon-long-term-project-t90025.html
XH Ute Thread http://www.fordmods.com/post1138970.html#p1138970

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

JayEdXr6 wrote:

The head im using is a 94ab and I'm using 1.8 rockers and 7mm valves and obviously the funny shaped el/au springs. It will be flowed to the cam.

You don't 'flow heads to suit a cam' You have a cam made to suit the head.

You also won't find a conical spring that fits. Let alone something to suit the cam.

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:58 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

A mate of mine has this done already.....12.5-13:1 CR. He bought a rod & piston set, can't remember the brand....it may have been JE and Scat rods.....anyway, he's got an EF Ticky head, found that some 308 Holden dual springs fit......needed for the huge cam.....will rev & pull past 7,000 rpm.....and it's all for speedway.
The rockers have been modified to be adjustable....no HLA's.....and the cam chain tensioner has also been modified, so it doesn't need oil pressure for it.
The cam is that big, that the valve springs will only last about 6 meetings.
It runs on 98 RON pump fuel too.

Good luck with your build.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:17 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

cjh wrote:
A mate of mine has this done already.....12.5-13:1 CR. He bought a rod & piston set, can't remember the brand....it may have been JE and Scat rods.....anyway, he's got an EF Ticky head, found that some 308 Holden dual springs fit......needed for the huge cam.....will rev & pull past 7,000 rpm.....and it's all for speedway.
The rockers have been modified to be adjustable....no HLA's.....and the cam chain tensioner has also been modified, so it doesn't need oil pressure for it.
The cam is that big, that the valve springs will only last about 6 meetings.
It runs on 98 RON pump fuel too.

Good luck with your build.

How much power is he making?

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:35 am 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
JayEdXr6 wrote:

You also won't find a conical spring that fits. Let alone something to suit the cam.

Okay but can I use the 7 mm valves with the normal looking springs. Why can't I have my head flowed for a certain cam? Isn't that what you do when you give your cam specs sheet to the porter ?
135lb springs are apparently efficient enough for 7200 rpm and 300 rwhp I've seen it!

But please I don't know huge deal. Basically I'm chasing a speedway motor. Have u got part numbers or what to ask for for the scat and je combo I wasn't aware they had a combo that will work with a wide cam choice

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

JayEdXr6 wrote:
tickford_6 wrote:
JayEdXr6 wrote:

Okay but can I use the 7 mm valves with the normal looking springs. Why can't I have my head flowed for a certain cam? Isn't that what you do when you give your cam specs sheet to the porter ?
135lb springs are apparently efficient enough for 7200 rpm and 300 rwhp I've seen it!

But please I don't know huge deal. Basically I'm chasing a speedway motor. Have u got part numbers or what to ask for for the scat and je combo I wasn't aware they had a combo that will work with a wide cam choice

you get your head ported then bench flow tested and give that to who ever is making your cam and they suit a cam to your head

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:14 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

Wow and all this time I have been thinking it was the other way around!

Anyway I can't seem to find a piston off the shelf that offers high comp and still able to have a nice sized cam...can't see stock ef rods breaking with 300 odd whp anyways. So jmm pistons it is. Gonna pull the block right down tonight I'll get a photo.

Should be ordering the pistons in 2 weeks also then I'll send off the block and crank and get things underway. Gotta order couple more things before that though

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:44 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: ford falcon EL

NSW, Australia

going to stroke it? or just leave it a 4litre CMS did a stoker motor and it was like 4.5litre or something and pulled ALOT of horsies but couldnt run it efficent enough to keep making them

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

dat111 wrote:
going to stroke it? or just leave it a 4litre CMS did a stoker motor and it was like 4.5litre or something and pulled ALOT of horsies but couldnt run it efficent enough to keep making them

The 4.5litre worked but the 4.8litre didnt
Also altho everybody loved the idea he only ended up building 1 or 2 customer engines because we are all cheap a***, so he canned the idea, last i heard it was making over 200kw n\a and broke an auto box on the dyno

BF XR6

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Any engine builder can order custom piston to whatever you want from a few manufacturer's and might come in at a cheaper price as well...

Look out for a light weight I beam rod so it rev's easier as well, and im sure scat or eagle will have something off the shelf with little mods to suit...

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:39 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

Nah not stroking it. Its just so easy to get off the shelf pistons and yer I'm looking at light weight I beAms ATM . Scat and spool seem to be the cheapest at around 690. What's the weight of a standard rod?

Stroking sounds good and stuff but why can all the speedway guys pull 220-230 kws and I can't lol.
I understand that there power is at like 5 to 7000 rpm but I'm willing to sacrifice some top end so that it's streetableish (haha) be a wicked ride though my car pulls 180rwkw ATM and has an awesome pull between 2800 and 6100(cut off) but I just want a head snapping pig to drive that makes me froff way harder then a fastish torque monster everyday streeter. Hmm maybe I should do a bf conversion

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

JayEdXr6 wrote:

If that is your best understanding of all this, then I honestly believe you shouldn't be building this engine yourself.

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:14 am 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
JayEdXr6 wrote:

If that is your best understanding of all this, then I honestly believe you shouldn't be building this engine yourself.

I'm not mate. How about a answer instead of smart comment, how'd you gain your knowledge? I bet it was asking questions.

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: XH Ute / AU3 V8 Wagon

QLD, Australia

If you want to find out about the custom pistons and scat rods, etc, as used by a lot of speedway guys now, ring Performance Wholesale in Brisbane and ask to talk to Mick, He is the guy I'm told that has done a lot of these combo's.

Yes, I own a Ute. No, I won't help you move!

EL Wagon Build Thread http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/sooty72-s-ef-futura-wagon-long-term-project-t90025.html
XH Ute Thread http://www.fordmods.com/post1138970.html#p1138970

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 8  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next