Fordmods Logo

1636 from wades 

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: 1636 from wades
Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

i ordered a 1636 from wades today anyone have one installed with a 2 1/2" reback sport system?. i wondered how it will sound and a idea of how much power this cam will make, also i talked to a engine rebuilder and he tells me that porting doesnt do a lot for a 4.0l and i would be better off getting multi-face valves and seats with the 1636 and a 2 1/2" sports. any opinions?

Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

Agree with the porting. Not needed unless you want to go really wild with the engine. There is plenty of places to make power in the head without opening the ports up.

Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas

Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

stockstandard wrote:
Agree with the porting. Not needed unless you want to go really wild with the engine. There is plenty of places to make power in the head without opening the ports up.
does your 1521a hunt or idle rough i dont mind a lump but stalling and stuff would be a pain in the a***

Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

stockstandard wrote:

care to let every one know these places other then ports that make so much power

Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EL Futura

SA, Australia

stockstandard is running a MSII ecu. Previously he was running a chiptorque (i think) and it lumped, but didn't hunt tooo bad (from the wav file I've heard)

5 Speed EL Futura
Stock as a rock*
A1 Oils - Synthetic lubricants: www.a1oils.com.au
* A rock that has been Alted

Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:47 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 19 images

Ride: SERIES 2 FAIRMONT GHIA

WA, Australia

ive had a 1636 in mine for bout 5 months...im wrapped with it..lumpy cam idle ( not over the top ) great kick in acceleration when it hits the powerband..xr6 ecu handles it just fine , dunno bout stock ecu ..

15 PSI OF BOOSTED GHIA GOODNESS!!!

Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: V8 T5 Fairmont & BA XR6T

NSW, Australia

any one who has run thier finger over the short side radius of the I6 exhaust ports will know that any wally that tells you that porting doesnt give you much is pulling your leg

Dima, Mitch & Jay's RPD

Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:45 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

Jaysen wrote:
any one who has run thier finger over the short side radius of the I6 exhaust ports will know that any wally that tells you that porting doesnt give you much is pulling your leg

True enough porting does improve flow but SOHC falcon heads do respond well to the basics of compression increase (with premium fuel) and basic valve seat angle work. The stock heads flow 300-330 odd HP projected at 0.500" lift so in a street car with a 1800-4500 powerband and a high lift cam porting wouldn't be a big priority.

If the head flows 300odd HP at .5 lift then you could estimate a stock head car could pull 150rwkw before porting becomes essential. Even with porting the head flows up to 360odd HP which means the best you could expect is 185rwkw.

Maybe going for a 3500-6500rpm cam on a strip street engine its worthwhile.

Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Jaysen wrote:
i am sure a porting would be worth it if i was building a strip engine but i want the car to be a everyday driver so i am keeping it simple i will probly just clean up the casting marks and give them a smooth off

Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:30 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

i've had my head slightly ported and at the moment am running a wade 1636. goes fairly well. hunts a little at idle but have never had it stall.

its good when your sitting next to some gino in a V8 and your I6 is lumpy compared to his. so he then wont race you. whch is a bummer but hey.

i've had no troubles with it. the porting i've had done isnt much, but enough to drive everyday reliably

Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Trikee wrote:
i've had my head slightly ported and at the moment am running a wade 1636. goes fairly well. hunts a little at idle but have never had it stall.

its good when your sitting next to some gino in a V8 and your I6 is lumpy compared to his. so he then wont race you. whch is a bummer but hey.

i've had no troubles with it. the porting i've had done isnt much, but enough to drive everyday reliably
mate at the moment if i pull up at the lights and there is some warm ride normally i put her in neutral give it a few revs then drop it back in drive when the lights change i put on my indicator and turn the corner :D

Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

jonbays wrote:
Jaysen wrote:

True enough porting does improve flow but SOHC falcon heads do respond well to the basics of compression increase (with premium fuel) and basic valve seat angle work. The stock heads flow 300-330 odd HP projected at 0.500" lift so in a street car with a 1800-4500 powerband and a high lift cam porting wouldn't be a big priority.

If the head flows 300odd HP at .5 lift then you could estimate a stock head car could pull 150rwkw before porting becomes essential. Even with porting the head flows up to 360odd HP which means the best you could expect is 185rwkw.

with the right port job, the car that makes between 130 and 150rwkw with a stock head could make a few kw more yet use less fuel,

Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
jonbays wrote:
Jaysen wrote:

with the right port job, the car that makes between 130 and 150rwkw with a stock head could make a few kw more yet use less fuel,
but what is a right port job and where do i get one

Posted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:01 am 
Getting Side Ways

fastleno wrote:
tickford_6 wrote:
jonbays wrote:
Jaysen wrote:

the right one depends on alot of things. unfortunatly the aftermarket is a little different these days, and you probably wont get the 'right' one anywhere. every one is far to focused on peak power and what improvment X mod give. no one realy cares about mild street engine any more. Hence why in the first place you were told that a port job was pointless and why people agree with that statment.

Posted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:39 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
fastleno wrote:
tickford_6 wrote:
jonbays wrote:
Jaysen wrote:

the right one depends on alot of things. unfortunatly the aftermarket is a little different these days, and you probably wont get the 'right' one anywhere. every one is far to focused on peak power and what improvment X mod give. no one realy cares about mild street engine any more. Hence why in the first place you were told that a port job was pointless and why people agree with that statment.
i have heard there is a CNC porting machine in NSW meant to be the bee's knee's gets every port exact spec to each other, i was told that in the 4.0l its easy to get one port slightly diffrent and end up with that port holding the rest back with detionation

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next