1965 Ford Falcon starting/stalls a bit please help 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: 1965 Ford Falcon starting/stalls a bit please help
Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:35 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 1965 Ford Falcon

NSW, Australia

Hey there please help
I recently bought a 1965 Ford Falcon. It had a major oil leak, my mechanic said it was some type of switch and he fixed it and he also put a new gasket on it.
All of a sudden it stalled on me at the light. I had it in gear, went to take off and it stalled. It restarted ok but it really scared me.
Also last night it didn't want to start for me and at one point it made a really loud noise like it was scratching something in the engine.
I smelled the oil, I saw on here if it smells like gas I should get it changed. I think I did smell some gas in the oil. So plan on gettng an oil change.
I don't know how well he maintained this car. He said it was his daily driver though.
Also on the top of the straight six it is missing something. Some kind of choke thing I think. It is behind where you put the oil. Is this part important? I am looking to replace that part, I don't know if it could have anything do do with it.
Thanks for all help. :wink:

Post subject: Re: 1965 Ford Falcon starting/stalls a bit please help
Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:16 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

Your post isn't real clear......but have you checked the ignition side of things, ie: points, condencer, timing, wear in the dizzy shaft/bush, freeness of the mechanical advance mechanism, rotor, dizzy cap, HT leads, spark plugs....compression test to see what you have, fuel filter.....fuel vapour lock.....the list goes on.
If your going to own an old car such as that, you really need to school up on it.....there ain't to many places around these days that would know what to do, or what there're looking at.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:26 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Attachment:
ford.jpg
ford.jpg [ 33.61 KiB | Viewed 865 times ]
hey
thanks for reply..well it does have an exhaust leak also..if you can give me your email i can send photo where he said the exhaust leak is but when i was looking at other ford straight 6 engines these looked the same. i took a photo of a ford engine online and mine looks just like this. this is the part he said the leak was coming from. :?: it is attached.

Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:49 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

oh and i have a great mechanic he is the best of the best and knows about old cars. its just he is always backed up i plan to talk to him tomorrow about this. im just wondering if the guy lied to me about where the exhaust leak is. the photo i showed on earlier post looks exactly like what i have, there is a gap there and he said this is where the leak comes from. im gonna get stan to put it on the lift to make sure there is nothing coming from the muffler etc. anyway i appreciate all replys. :wink:

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]