Fordmods Logo

2002 ba 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: 2002 ba
Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:22 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 2002 ba falcon

VIC, Australia

hey all just joined this site to get to know a little bit more about cars..
i have just brought myself a 2002 ba falcon it only has a 5 speed manual in it and thats all the mods...
just want to know wat use think wat would b the best things to do to get more power out of it???

Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:05 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: XR6 Turbo

NSW, Australia

hey mate PLENTY of topics around, search is a good way to get started as theres so much information on here for straight 6's.

First mods you should think about doing is a 2.5" exhaust and pacemaker headers and down the line best bet is to get a tune done

theres a few little things you can do like f6 typhoon airbox and that

Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: '07 LT XR5

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

what kind of cash you have to throw @ it in the way of mods?

$500 or less = 2.5" catback (redback or lukey seem to be the prefered)

<$1,000 & >$500 = 2.5"catback, pacemaker extractors (no need for competition headers just yet) and a hiflow cat. also pick up a xr6 turbo intake pipe

<$2,000 & >$,1000 = what i wrote above, + better brakes, personally i like DBA slotted rotors with EBCgreenstuffs.

after that you can keep going up in price and add on new lower suspension etc.

So much RAM the motherboard twisted off the POST.

I lost 3 cylinders... but gained a turbo...
Proud owner of an '07 XR5Turbo

Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:21 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

ok sweet.
yeh i have been told that it has some sort of redback system in it not sure if its just the muffler system...
just to let use know im still young and really keen to learn lots of new things...
got a lot of money to spend on it so hoping to get a lot of power.. been told that another good thing to do is to put a high performance cam on it?? is that a good thing???

Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:52 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: LS3 VF

WA, Australia

not on a BA no, camshaft changes are 99% unneccesary because of the Variable Camshaft Timing.

Also how much is alot of money? $5000? $1000?

why not consider spending the money on an XR6 turbo instead of upgrading yours if you have "a lot of money"

Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:03 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: XR6 Turbo

NSW, Australia

that is true, if you got the money, why not invest in a ba xr6 turbo, can pick them up for 20k if your lucky now, i mean bloody hell, that much power for that amount of money is rediculas why do ppl still drive lancers lol

but if you havnt got that much money just mod yours, theres bas out there running almost 200rwkw NA which is quick.

Dont worry about cam tho mate, leave that for the e-series boys :P

exhaust, headers, cai, and tune i would go matey

Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:34 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

well i brought the car about 2 months ago for 18000
i know i got ripped off but i liked it when i saw it...
i still have $7000 left over but am earning over 1000 a week and only have to pay my loan payments as i still live with my parents :(
so not hard to save after the 7000 is gone...
car is booked in for thursday the 20th for pacemaker extractors i think gotta check tomorro and a 2.5 inch exhaust so hoping to get a little bit more power :D

Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:18 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: FG 50th Anni G6E Turbo

VIC, Australia

Get your exhaust, then get a flash tune. Diff would be a good upgrade, but you wont suffer as much "off the line lag" as me being a manual.
Make sure you do the XR6T intake snorkel, and F6 Typhoon bottom half of the air box.

Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:55 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

ok then wat diff do you suggest...
and where would i get this intake pipe as i live in ballarat, victoria and not many workshops here???

Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BFII Turbo

Power: 253 rwkw

VIC, Australia

*points* i wants his job... or one that pays equivelant wages :)

you could ring some wrecking yards for the airboxes, although you may need to go out to fern tree gully auto salvage. they have a great range and good prices, also they are sponsors of this website.

link:
http://fordmods.com/forums/ferntree-gul ... e-f24.html

as for diff ratio its personal opinion, but it has to be an LSD (limited slip diffential), as compared to the Open Center (OC or SS for "single spinner") diff that base model falcons come eqiuped with. an open center diff drives only one of the rear wheels, whereas an LSD can turn both wheels under hard acceleration for better traction while still slipping when cornering.

Personally with a 5 speed manual I wouldnt go any higher than 3.45:1 ratio if you intend it as a daily driver.

a conversion to lsd with standard 3.08:1 ratio would see you have better traction under load with the same shift points and speed in gears as you currently have.

an lsd 3.23:1 would see an improvement in acceleration, closer ratio gears but would rev maybe 150 rpm higher when sitting on 100k's.

a 3.45:1 lsd would see very short gears, more aceleration than the 3.23 but again higher rpm at highway speed.

basically the trade off is more acceleration=more highway rpm.

with the mods you are planing I myself would go for the 3.23:1 gears with an lsd conversion.

As for how much this would cost depends entirely where you go to get it done, and how much you can pick up parts for. Ive seen some pay $1800 for a conversion and ratio change, and others pay $400 because they searched down the parts and installed themselves or by a friend.

Take your time and do your homework and you will come out on top no worries, smoking holden 5 ltrs along the way lol.

enough isn't enough

Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: FG 50th Anni G6E Turbo

VIC, Australia

fordlooker wrote:
ok then wat diff do you suggest...
and where would i get this intake pipe as i live in ballarat, victoria and not many workshops here???

As more grunt said, FTG auto salvage are our site sponsor and they do the intake pipe for $30 i think, and the F6 base for $90 (i think) Darren also organises postage, so check them out.
Diff is a personal choice, and cost can vary. One of the blokes here got his done at a place called Blue power ford and it cost him $2300 for conversion to LSD with 3.9 gears. Revs at 2100 on the freeway. But he is AUTO.
Hope that helped.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]