Fordmods Logo

2003 BA XT any issues??? Advice? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: 2003 BA XT any issues??? Advice?
Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:32 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Falcon AU3

I couldn't really find where to post this.

I’ve been looking at getting a new falcon I have found a few I like but don’t really know a lot about the newer models. A few cars i have my eye on are 2003 BA XT 4 speed auto.

Wondering is there are any problems that plague the 2003 BA XT ?
(eg EA’s front timming cover leaked oil)

I noticed one on of the cars i looked at, under the bonnet behind the header tank there is some surface rust. not a lot just enough to show up on one of the seam there Is this normal ?

Thank you for reading!

Post subject: Re: 2003 BA XT any issues??? Advice?
Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:07 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: Blue and White Mercedes

NSW, Australia

syborfical wrote:
I couldn't really find where to post this.

I’ve been looking at getting a new falcon I have found a few I like but don’t really know a lot about the newer models. A few cars i have my eye on are 2003 BA XT 4 speed auto.

Wondering is there are any problems that plague the 2003 BA XT ?
(eg EA’s front timming cover leaked oil)

I noticed one on of the cars i looked at, under the bonnet behind the header tank there is some surface rust. not a lot just enough to show up on one of the seam there Is this normal ?

Thank you for reading!

I think that the rust thing is quite common with the BA-BF range. I was (and I mean WAS as in past tense) looking for a Fairmont. I went through about 20 cars yesterday. They all had the rust coming from under the seams where you are referring to, and there will also be some under the seams at corners of the back window. They all had the same small amount, except for one that had a spot of rust on the chassis rail.

While yes it is only a small amount, and the part that is visable is only surface rust you need to keep in mind that it is only surface rust on the seem that is visable. What about the panels behind what you can see? Can you be certain that this small amount of rust will remain small, and will remain only as surface rust (as opposed to progressive rust). If the original owners were aware of this issue from the day that they bought the car, they would have kept these areas covered with fish oil.

I'd like to say that I am very disappointed with Ford about the quality of these cars :evil:

....but each to their own. In the end, you are the one spending your $$$ and you are the one that will have to put up with the car. But I personally would not touch a BA.

Remember kids, the more pages of crap in your build thread, the bigger your e-penis is

Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:55 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: BA XT 6

ACT, Australia

I've only ever had handbrake issues with mine. Ford cant seem to do the re-alignment properly so I always end up reefing the thing up to the end of its travel to hold the car on any slope.
Oh, and one of my ABS sensors s**t itself... Thats about all.... Hmmm, come to think of it, I've had a fairly good run with my BA.

Other things that s**t me though is the interior trim vibrations and some suspension creaking at low speed over speedhumps etc... but that is most likely due to putting an exhaust and suspension on the thing.

So, overall, my experience with my BA is not too bad.

Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

QLD, Australia

If your going to get a BA auto make sure it's got an external auto transmission cooler fitted. Will save you about $3000 further down the track.....

EBAY have heaps of kits for sale due too the problem which ford tell customers it's very rare too happen.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/PWR-AUTOMATIC-TRANSMISSION-OIL-COOLER-KIT-FORD-AU-BA_W0QQitemZ280355640864QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Car_Parts_Accessories?hash=item41467f9620&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A1|66%3A2|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

97 EL Fairmont 4l OHC .Silver.
Exhaust: Pacemaker's, 2.5" exhaust and Hiflow cat
Intake: FRAM AIRHOG , EL GT snorkel
XR6 300kpa fuel reg Stg 2 Auto Shift Kit.6DJA ECU
PM in Qld looking too buy Toyota 4*4 SR5 Dualcab Hilux 91-97 with 2.8l diesel engine/5spd manual

Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:20 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

I have a BA ute, the only problem I have had with it is that I broke the diff. The diff does get a pretty tough work out.

There was one little bit of surface rust where the paint was a bit thin above the strut tower in the engine bay.

I have also had the a problem with the steering rack where it had come loose, tho it did come loose after driving 1000 k's on corrigated dirt road.

I have had to replace the 'O' ring for the water pump.

I got the car new and have not had any other problems. best car ever

Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:05 am 

Ride: 93EB Fairmont / BA Falcon XR6T

NSW, Australia

My BA 04 model is so far so good. No problems at all beside handbrake adjustments and front rotors. Excellent car.

93 EB II Fairmon8 with 17' EL GT's / Clear indicators / H.I.Ds / Sports exhaust / Lowered 2' / K&N / XR6 ECU.
2004 BA MKI XR6T in Lightning Strike paint / K&N / XR8 bonnet / BF lights and a few tweaks.

Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:56 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Falcon AU3

a_total_tool wrote:
I think that the rust thing is quite common with the BA-BF range. I was (and I mean WAS as in past tense) looking for a Fairmont. I went through about 20 cars yesterday. They all had the rust coming from under the seams where you are referring to, and there will also be some under the seams at corners of the back window. They all had the same small amount, except for one that had a spot of rust on the chassis rail.

Since the original post I have looked at sore more BA's and most of them have surface rust in the same sport, also the engin bay has surface rust where the seems join. I don't think i will be touching ca BA as the ones i looked at a 6 years old and have surface rust. I have a 1993 EB2 and that has NO surface rust.

a_total_tool wrote:
While yes it is only a small amount, and the part that is visable is only surface rust you need to keep in mind that it is only surface rust on the seem that is visable. What about the panels behind what you can see? Can you be certain that this small amount of rust will remain small, and will remain only as surface rust (as opposed to progressive rust). If the original owners were aware of this issue from the day that they bought the car, they would have kept these areas covered with fish oil.

Unfortunately I only have there name no contact details. But the rush was at least a 10 cm patch. Very notable. I called ford about it just to see what t they had to say i spoke two 2 different people one lady was like it must be left over chemicals when the car was detailed has caused the rust. And a Guy pretty much said the same thing and they have never heard of any surface rust in those places. Which is odd I've looked at about 30ish BA and at least half of them had it in the same spot.

Hmm still deciding what to get now... as i cant find many nice AU3's around with low km on them.

Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:55 pm 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

got checked a 2003 Ford Falcon BA XT from eBay in Ice Mint Green sedan. I love it though I was familiar with the surface rust thing than compared to ford f150 parts. I think it's all common.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]